Canada vs. USA - The NHL $ issue

zer0dotcom

When I first went to Montreal when the arena was called Centre Molson, tickets were insanely cheap..Now a days it's like going to a freaking Yankee game..But Hockey is woven into the fabric of every Canadian. It's your game so I can see why they 6 Canadian clubs would be making the kind of money they are. Simple supply and demand. I myself would love to see some more Canadian teams. Quebec and Winnipeg should have never left in the first place..

yankeesfansd4.png91140975269.png

Isles1.gifirelandnw9.png

neyyorkjetsdj1.gif

sig3_605.jpg

chevroletij6.png

This should help Winnipeg's chances, but they won't get a team until Bettman gets out. It owuld be so cool to have the Jets back, because I am only 2 hours away from Winnipeg.

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

I heard the Anal Intruder also does the job, but I've only heard that second-hand...

Just make sure to bring a voltage converter if you're taking it overseas. The last guy who made that mistake, it took three hours to remove the smile from his face.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Do the numbers per game include TV revenues?

Because if not, Torontonians are getting :censored:-ed by MLSE since the arena isn't as big as Montreal's. And tickets for the Habs don't come cheap either.

Keep in mind it was designed to be primarily for basketball, hockey was a last minute addition once MLSE acquired the Raptors. Yes it is a tad small... but man we find ways to pack it so it almost bursts at the seams...

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Because if not, Torontonians are getting :censored:-ed by MLSE since the arena isn't as big as Montreal's. And tickets for the Habs don't come cheap either.

The numbers are just ticket revues.

Keep in mind it was designed to be primarily for basketball, hockey was a last minute addition once MLSE acquired the Raptors. Yes it is a tad small... but man we find ways to pack it so it almost bursts at the seams...

So... They own a hockey team, and yet build an arena that wasn't going to be primarily theirs? In MLSE, I always thought ML meant Maple Leafs... If they hadn't bought the Raptors, then the Leafs would still be playing in the old Garden?

And regarding prices: the capacity is around 18,800. The NHL attendance for last year puts Toronto at roughlt 19,500, which is around 104% occupancy. With that said, Montreal holds almost 21,300. So for almost 2,000 people less, you still make 200 thousand more per game? I wonder what's the price range for tickets...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Because if not, Torontonians are getting :censored: -ed by MLSE since the arena isn't as big as Montreal's. And tickets for the Habs don't come cheap either.

So... They own a hockey team, and yet build an arena that wasn't going to be primarily theirs? In MLSE, I always thought ML meant Maple Leafs... If they hadn't bought the Raptors, then the Leafs would still be playing in the old Garden?

And regarding prices: the capacity is around 18,800. The NHL attendance for last year puts Toronto at roughlt 19,500, which is around 104% occupancy. With that said, Montreal holds almost 21,300. So for almost 2,000 people less, you still make 200 thousand more per game? I wonder what's the price range for tickets...

The ACC was meant primarily for the Raptors under the old Raptors ownership. By the time the Leafs bought the Raptors, the ACC was well under construction.

I do recall one plan the Leafs had to build a new arena.... above Union Station.

I saw, I came, I left.

Essentially there was no real plan to move until the Raptors were close to breaking the ground for an arena for themselves. So to secure a new home and a new venture, they bought the Raptors and modified their new home primarily for themselves. I believe they would have had more capacity if the play they had chosen had allowed more room for expansion. Since they modified part of an existing structure they were confined by that and the Gardiner Express Way which runs right beside it. Essentially it could have been made to hold more people but it would have been tricky and pricey.

As for ticket prices, I believe the cheapest seats were around $45 (The game I went to this year, I was sitting 1 row from the top and it cost me that much, keep in mind they do sell tickets for standing room)... I have seen some go for around $375+

Considering we sell out almost every game and we charge this much, it makes sense why we make so much effin money.

EDIT: After reading what DEAD! said, I did a quick google search and found this from the Globe and Mail from July 30 2002:

The younger Mr. Lastman played an important role in brokering the marriage that brought Steve Stavros's Toronto Maple Leafs and Mr. Tanenbaum's Toronto Raptors into the same corporate bed, albeit in one located south of the tracks, not in the Union Station arena Mr. Tanenbaum once proposed.

This is the first I have seen about anything relating to a "Union Station Arena".

I also found this: http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/Toront...rs/articles.htm

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

This is the first I have seen about anything relating to a "Union Station Arena".

I also found this: http://basketball.ballparks.com/NBA/Toront...rs/articles.htm

And you never thought of asking me? :P

The Raptors and Leafs were bitter enemies during this new arena business... the Air Canada Centre was being built for the Toronto Raptors and the Toronto Roadrunners, it wasn't until a year before opening day that the Toronto Maple Leafs came in and purchased the Raptors and the arena.

The original plan had the Air Canada Centre in its current spot and the new Maple Leaf Gardens built right next door to it - on top of Union Station, complete with two helicopter landing pads. The renderings of the inside of the new maple leaf gardens isn't too different from what air canada centre ended up looking like

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived