Baltimore returning to O's jerseys

gueman

The ornithological correct bird (the one they wore when Ripken broke Gehrig's record) was the best logo the Orioles have had. The cartoon bird was too cartoony (and not in a good way) while the current is too detailed to be a good sports logo especially a cap logo.

As for Baltimore going on the road uniforms good. Being down here for school the last couple of years it seems to me that most baseball fans in Maryland are Orioles fans and that baseball isn't that popular in DC or Virginia.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i was an Orioles fan till the Nats came along. i agree with Baltimore going back to the O's jerseys tho, thought it was lame that they didnt have it on there. is there going to be a B logo cap instead of that stupid O's cap they have?

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

As for Baltimore going on the road uniforms good. Being down here for school the last couple of years it seems to me that most baseball fans in Maryland are Orioles fans and that baseball isn't that popular in DC or Virginia.

. . . as evidenced by the fact that the Nats have still not drawn a capacity crowd to their brand new stadium (though they did draw their two largest crowds to date this past weekend against the Orioles).

End of tangent. We now return you to the thread already in progress.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

i was an Orioles fan till the Nats came along. i agree with Baltimore going back to the O's jerseys tho, thought it was lame that they didnt have it on there. is there going to be a B logo cap instead of that stupid O's cap they have?

Now that is a brilliant idea. Maybe they could just go back to the 1964(?) cap with a relatively thin block B.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

. . . as evidenced by the fact that the Nats have still not drawn a capacity crowd to their brand new stadium (though they did draw their two largest crowds to date this past weekend against the Orioles).

I was at the game Saturday Night. I looked the night before and you could get a large chunk of seats together the night before. My father and I were able to get two seats from the box office in what was marked on the ticket brochure as a "sold out" section. That said the stadium for the game was pretty full with the exception with the seats directly behind the plate lower level. Some of it may have to do with it standing out more but there was awful lot of orange in that stadium. Again no surprise consider the stadium is easy to access by the Metro from Maryland and the Orioles are the older established team and despite Washington originally having a team 50 years before the Orioles came town Baltimore has I would say a richer baseball history.

I also went to a game against the Mets back in April and there full sections of the stadium open. That's a game the first month of the stadium against a marquee opponent, the game should have been at least close to a sellout.

I was at the game Saturday Night. I looked the night before and you could get a large chunk of seats together the night before. My father and I were able to get two seats from the box office in what was marked on the ticket brochure as a "sold out" section. That said the stadium for the game was pretty full with the exception with the seats directly behind the plate lower level. Some of it may have to do with it standing out more but there was awful lot of orange in that stadium. Again no surprise consider the stadium is easy to access by the Metro from Maryland and the Orioles are the older established team and despite Washington originally having a team 50 years before the Orioles came town Baltimore has I would say a richer baseball history.

I also went to a game against the Mets back in April and there full sections of the stadium open. That's a game the first month of the stadium against a marquee opponent, the game should have been at least close to a sellout.

You were there Saturday? I might have seen you during the rain delay.

Where were you sitting?

Where were you sitting?

Lower level, first base side.

Now that is a brilliant idea. Maybe they could just go back to the 1964(?) cap with a relatively thin block B.

They sell a fashion cap at Camden Yards that would fit the bill nicely:

2628209570_5d1779994a_o.png

I could certainly live with that one too. That is one nice looking cap.

They sell a fashion cap at Camden Yards that would fit the bill nicely

Even better, they have a great letter B on the seats at Camden Yards:

501473653_b53409ef3c.jpg

Take out the big letter O C*, and you can more or less drop the B on the right onto the cap in orange and you'd have one of the best caps in MLB history.

(Actually, I'd love if if the Orioles used that B as the basis for a complete script redesign. The current "Orioles" script is great, but a script in the style of that 19th-century ornate B would be supremely awesome. Simplify the bird as Gothamite proposes, put "Baltimore" on the roads, and give them a B cap in the same style as the seats, and that would be the end of debates over which is the best uniform in baseball.)

*Stands for "Baseball Club of Baltimore," or somesuch, which I knew but totally forgot and assumed it was "Baltimore Orioles Baseball" when I dug up the photo. D'oh!

20082614447.png

2628209570_5d1779994a_o.png

My uncle bought that very cap at Camden Yards a couple of years ago before an O's-Nats game. Sweet cap indeed. In hindsight, I should have picked one up as well.

Back to the topic at hand: the return of the "Baltimore" script is long overdue. When I was a child, my aforementioned uncle tried to brainwash me into becoming an O's fan. He bombarded me with images of his favorite players (Boog Powell and Jim Palmer) when he was a kid, so I always associated the "Baltimore" script with the O's.

I'm glad that it will return next season, though my wallet may groan at the thought of yet another jersey purchase.

All this talk about the O's unis (which are some of the coolest IMO, given the plethora of red and navy color schemes in MLB) makes me want to head down to B'more and catch an O's game. Maybe I'll even pick up that hat.

I always felt the newer birds works better as a sleeve logo, but it just does not fit well onto a hat for me, because of the width of the logo. I would love to see a return of the cartoon look or a letter on the hat with the realistic bird on the sleeve.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The March 30 season opener against Atlanta WAS sold out. Every ticket that was made available for sale was bought.

They had a boatload of comp tickets that night -- THAT'S why the number next to the "A --" in the box score (which is actually # of tickets sold, not # of butts in seats) is smaller than the capacity in ( ).

Usually, it's quite clear that there aren't as many BiS (see above) as there were tickets sold. For many reasons (some legit, some not so much), people buy tickets and then don't go.

But on that night, every seat was accounted for.

natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

Usually, it's quite clear that there aren't as many BiS (see above) as there were tickets sold. For many reasons (some legit, some not so much), people buy tickets and then don't go.

That's true of every team.

Just pointing out the very odd case of a night when BiS > A in boxscore.
natsred.pngredskins.pngmaryland.pngcapitals.png

• 3 months later...

Bringing this back from the hinterlands. Now that the regular season is over, has anyone heard anything more about this?

Archived