CCSLC Apprentice

GFB

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who's idea was the disjointed lines on the business card?

I did the business card and presentation template. They both were rushed, as we were almost out of time.

Looks like one vote for me, and none for the others. Uh-oh...

MegatronSig2.jpg

Here are some things I think need to be brought up for each contestant:

-(dp)- You did have some faults in this identity, after all, you were the Task Manager. Poor time management was one of your biggest downfalls. PRODIGY spent too much time on deciding on a name and nitpicking on pretty much the same original logo. It's the Task Manager's job to keep his team moving and making foward progress...

However, you did do most of the concepts for his team, and the effort goes a long way for me...

josh_cat_eyes You started off pretty well, however, as the deadline drew closer, you seemed to disappear more and more. I know you had graduation to prepare for, but everyone has other things going on outside of this contest (at least, I sure hope they do...) Its a matter of creating time to participate...

And this post in the OPTIMUS thread kinda perplexes me:

I know I am not suposed to post here, but since the first challenge is over I am not thinking there will be a problem.

Anyway, I actually would have prefered if my group went with a navy and a gold and/or orange. I also dont like all the random lines we had. I was at rehersal for my graduation the day it was due though so I couldn't voice my opinion. As for your team's design. It really turned out good. I LOVE your design layout! Anyway congrats for a job well done and good luck on the next challenge.

Maybe I'm old school, but it sort of irritates me that you did that...

SG30 You were a constant contributer to you team's thread, so that is in your favor. However, outside of an early concept, most of your posts were regarding the matters at hand. You didn't really post anything of that much substance. It is a quality-vs.-quantity argument, but the weight that it carries depends on each board member...

Here are some things I think need to be brought up for each contestant:

-(dp)- You did have some faults in this identity, after all, you were the Task Manager. Poor time management was one of your biggest downfalls. PRODIGY spent too much time on deciding on a name and nitpicking on pretty much the same original logo. It's the Task Manager's job to keep his team moving and making foward progress...

However, you did do most of the concepts for his team, and the effort goes a long way for me...

josh_cat_eyes You started off pretty well, however, as the deadline drew closer, you seemed to disappear more and more. I know you had graduation to prepare for, but everyone has other things going on outside of this contest (at least, I sure hope they do...) Its a matter of creating time to participate...

And this post in the OPTIMUS thread kinda perplexes me:

I know I am not suposed to post here, but since the first challenge is over I am not thinking there will be a problem.

Anyway, I actually would have prefered if my group went with a navy and a gold and/or orange. I also dont like all the random lines we had. I was at rehersal for my graduation the day it was due though so I couldn't voice my opinion. As for your team's design. It really turned out good. I LOVE your design layout! Anyway congrats for a job well done and good luck on the next challenge.

Maybe I'm old school, but it sort of irritates me that you did that...

SG30 You were a constant contributer to you team's thread, so that is in your favor. However, outside of an early concept, most of your posts were regarding the matters at hand. You didn't really post anything of that much substance. It is a quality-vs.-quantity argument, but the weight that it carries depends on each board member...

Who votes for people? Do I have to do anything or just wait to see...?

Also I am just wondering, but what about that post don't you like. I said a lot in it and I don't know what parts were irritating?

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The trump board votes on which contestant will be eliminated...

The thing that bothered me in those comments was that you went over to the other teams thread and started complaining about everything wrong with your identity. If you had just gone over and congratulated them (which you did) I wouldn't have even thought twice about it...

I'm not running this show but I think in the true nature of the Apprentice, the people brought to the board room should have an opportunity to respond to comments. Its done on the show and I think it could help or hurt the people on the chopping block. It adds a dimension to the proceedings.

Alright... sorry for not wrapping this up sooner, but Optimus is the winner.... so to make up for some lost time and keep this contest moving, we will have a quick board session...

So, as the losing task manager, Devin will be in the board room with 2 other team members of his choosing. Each member will be given the opportunity to defend his or herself as well as comment on the other 2 people. Board members can ask any questions to the 3 contestants at this time as well...

So Devin, please choose your two teammates who you would like to bring with you into the board room...

Yes, all 3 contestants have free speech in the board room... Actually, I don't have a problem with the whole team coming in and giving their two cents worth...

I just wanted to say that this being the first round I was quite a bit cautious. I've never actually created a brand new identity before. Others in my group it seemed had a much better idea of how it worked than I did, so as time went on I started just going along with them, which I sort of regret doing now. I still could have thrown out a few concepts, ideas and opinions. I could have added more substance, as GFB would put it. I also could have helped the group move forward more when we were wasting time. Just because dp was the task manager doesn't mean that nobody else in the group could have stepped it up and said hey lets get going.

Also, I feel the need to thank dp for doing the bulk of the actual design work for our team, and GFB for putting this contest together and running it well. Its been very interesting for me personally to be a part of thus far.

Well, you said the whole team could participate...

Personally I don't think dp should be "fired" at all. He did a lot of the work, and although poor time managing killed us in the end, and it seemed to me sometimes as though he'd disappear for a whole day which in reality is really key. I'm not sure if he was decisive enough in key decisions that needed to be made, but he still made a great effort and kept our team from completely falling apart.

The other two is tough. They both voiced their opinions and critiqued (which is what I did as well) and gave ideas. Nothing really negative about what they did. Well, it comes down to you, so this is why I'm not a board member :D

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Despite losing to Optimus, I think dp did a good job at project manager. Everything dp did as project manager was in the best interest of the group and didn't deviate from the feedback he got from us the team members. The design of the business card appeared to be a similar style to the rest of the identity, which for the most part the team agreed upon, so I don't think you can fully blame the business card design on dp- it appeared to be the direction we were going in anyway. I give him major props for putting together much of the presentation when much of the team, myself included, sort of disappeared at the deadline.

I can't say anything negative about SG30 either. Even though they weren't used, she put out numerous name ideas and logo mockups which showed her motivation to help the group. In addition, I don't think her posts were any less "substantial" than other team members. Thumbs up from me.

I think Josh did a good job contributing as well but the comment he left in the Blue team's thread was a bit condescending. While I don't have a problem with him disagreeing with aspects of our final design, if he felt strongly enough about these issues he should've been more assertive voicing these opinions in our team's thread rather than after the matter in blue's. I mean I don't really know if it's big enough of a deal to be be considered in the elimination process, but it's just not a good thing for the team chemistry.

I will address the comments that I left on the blue teams thread first. First off I do not dislike the outcome of the design we used. I just feel that it could have been better, but unfortunatley the morning it was due was also the day of my graduation and thus my grad rehersal was in the morning. I most certainly respect the design that my team choose and in no way did I intend to negitively criticize the work that my team did. I was simply responding to a comment about the color schemes being different and I was saying that I would have rathered "my proposal" but we are a team and I didn't let the "me" come first. I waited till afterwords to say my thoughts. About the team name and logos, I recall that I was the first person to suggest using a flame in our design, an element that turned out the main theme of our main logo. I really liked the work that dp did and because I do not have photoshop, any work I submitted was the work of both dp and I. I simply rearanged his work or changed colors, basicly to keep with a steady theme and to not have to contend with numerous design schemes. Also I appoligize for not being there during the final hours of the competition, but I just feel that school and sleep come before extras, as I will call this.

I will now address dp. I think dp was a great task manager and he really deserves to stay. Even though some faults to the design can be put on him, if it were NOT for him, then our design would have been different, seeing as how he did most of the actual design work. He also was the first person to suggest a name, and it was that name that we would eventually go with. His very first post was him excepting his unanimously voted task manager position and in that same post he suggested the name Prodigy Designs.

About SG30, I felt that he wanted to do something different from everyone else. He was very responsive in his opinions but in the end I don't think any of his ideas were used. I felt that he was just along for the ride and although he did have some pretty good points they would end up leading us nowhere and wasting our time. The first page is where all of the ideas we actually used are posted. I am no way saying that he wasted our time in being a part of our group, but he just seemed like he wanted to get the perfect idea before anything happened. It ended up costing us because as we all know the name prodigy was suggest first thing, and it was the last thing to get put together.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

About SG30, I felt that she wanted to do something different from everyone else. sHe was very responsive in her opinions but in the end I don't think any of her ideas were used. I felt that she was just along for the ride and although she did have some pretty good points they would end up leading us nowhere and wasting our time. The first page is where all of the ideas we actually used are posted. I am no way saying that she wasted our time in being a part of our group, but she just seemed like she wanted to get the perfect idea before anything happened. It ended up costing us because as we all know the name prodigy was suggest first thing, and it was the last thing to get put together.

Fixed all of that for you...

About SG30, I felt that she wanted to do something different from everyone else. sHe was very responsive in her opinions but in the end I don't think any of her ideas were used. I felt that she was just along for the ride and although she did have some pretty good points they would end up leading us nowhere and wasting our time. The first page is where all of the ideas we actually used are posted. I am no way saying that she wasted our time in being a part of our group, but she just seemed like she wanted to get the perfect idea before anything happened. It ended up costing us because as we all know the name prodigy was suggest first thing, and it was the last thing to get put together.

opps ^_^ thanks haha. I didn't know SG30 was a girl...

well now you do. Thank you ColaCock for that. :)

And a thing about my ideas, we weren't really sold as a group on using prodigy when it was first suggested. So I tried to do a bit of brainstorming. So yes, we did dance around with name ideas a bit longer than we probably should have, and I know I contributed to that, but hindsight is 20/20. If we'd have agreed on prodigy first thing, I wouldn't have made those suggestions.

well now you do. Thank you ColaCock for that. :)

And a thing about my ideas, we weren't really sold as a group on using prodigy when it was first suggested. So I tried to do a bit of brainstorming. So yes, we did dance around with name ideas a bit longer than we probably should have, and I know I contributed to that, but hindsight is 20/20. If we'd have agreed on prodigy first thing, I wouldn't have made those suggestions.

I am very sorry for getting your gender confused. I would say a good portion of the members here are guys (i am only asuming here) but you are a very good exception.

Now getting on point, I see your point. I guess all of the group can be to blame for not saying ok its going to be prodigy. I know I can take some blame for that too, but near the end I made a couple proposals of what we could use as a logo (based on dp's logos) and and made a couple suggestions that turned into key themes for us aswell. Had we taken a different direction, you probably wouldn't be here, but we went with prodigy because there was not really anyone else that presented a strong idea that stayed with that idea the whole way through the time when we were picking a name.

Okay, it might be a little too late, but......

As far as my job as task manager, maybe I could have made sure we moved along a little faster, but I also didn't want anybody to be unhappy with the way we went, so I didn't want to push it along too much. It seemed a lot of people wanted different things, and had very different tastes, which made it harder to decide on a name, and other parts of the identity. We went with the name Prodigy, which is what I suggested. I did kind of try to convince people that it was a good name, so we could move along (there were some other good suggestions too), and I hope they don't feel like I was forcing it on them. Also, I did most of the design work. Since we were the losing team, I don't know if that helps me or hurts me, but I did. The business card and presentation template were kind of rushed, because we were running out of time. That is my fault, since I was the task manager. I was constantly on here, looking to see if there were any new posts. I graduated just before the first challenge, and my open house was that next Saturday, so between getting ready for that, and working, I didn't have too much free time, but found plenty for the Challenge. I have more free time now. I think maybe I am not right for Task Manager, but can still contribute to the team a lot if I survive this Board Room.

Honestly, I can't really say anything negative about the other two. They both helped with ideas a lot, even if they weren't always the ones we ended up going with. I don't think either of them deserves to be eliminated, but one of us three has to be. I guess that is all, and now it is up to the board.

MegatronSig2.jpg

After much consideration, the Board has decided to fire....

josh_cat_eyes

Thanks for participating Josh.

Moving on, I'll post the second challenge later tonight... stay tuned.

Archived