Reviving the ABA

Turkleton

I know that before I posted the Amigos concept I said that this project would'nt move very quickly, but I'm posting this already because I've been off work with a broken foot, so I've had a bit of time to do both. Plus, the Amigos were finished a few days back, just not posted...

I wasnt sure how high the crab population was in Baltimore so I've done away with that & gone for a creature type claw instead. The claw is holding the same basketball as is in the original logo. The secondary obviously forms a 'b'.

I chose red and white as the main colours because thats the colours the Crabs played in when they were the Memphis Sounds / Tams. The home and away uniforms im really happy with. The bottom of the jersey, at the back, has two curved triangles, which are meant to represent claws. The Alt kit is a tribute to the uniforms the Crabs played in for the 3 games they were in exsistence. They were having so many financial problems that they just taped a green sqare with 'Crabs' written on, over the word 'Sounds' on their original Memphis uniforms, so I used that idea as a base for the alternate uniform.

The 'Baltimore' font is slighty distorted. This is because to get that perfect curve, I needed to paste it from Word into Paint, and for the purpose of getting that curve, I hope you can forgive the distorted font. Limitations of Paint....!!!

Next up is the Carolina Cougars, but I mean it this time when I say it might not be posted for a few weeks...

Thanks for looking, hope to see some C&C

Turk

baltamoreclawsoo9.png

sigen.jpg

I don't know almost anything about the ABA, but would this concept be better if it were a crab claw? That would seem to be more accurate for Baltimore. Just my two-cents as an ABA outsider.

*Sorry, I just read your rationale in more detail, however, I still think the crab claw is the way to go*

I don't know almost anything about the ABA, but would this concept be better if it were a crab claw? That would seem to be more accurate for Baltimore. Just my two-cents as an ABA outsider.

*Sorry, I just read your rationale in more detail, however, I still think the crab claw is the way to go*

I agree. Baltimore = Crabs, so you really need to stay with the original crab claw concept.

Beyond that, the uniforms look good. Your reasoning behind the alt is, um, "interesting" (I'm not sure most teams would want to revisit and honor their days of dire financial straits), but the execution is fairly unique.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

I wasnt sure how high the crab population was in Baltimore so I've done away with that & gone for a creature type claw instead. The claw is holding the same basketball as is in the original logo. The secondary obviously forms a 'b'.

I chose red and white as the main colours because thats the colours the Crabs played in when they were the Memphis Sounds / Tams. The home and away uniforms im really happy with. The bottom of the jersey, at the back, has two curved triangles, which are meant to represent claws. The Alt kit is a tribute to the uniforms the Crabs played in for the 3 games they were in exsistence. They were having so many financial problems that they just taped a green sqare with 'Crabs' written on, over the word 'Sounds' on their original Memphis uniforms, so I used that idea as a base for the alternate uniform.

But then you go and refer to them as "Crabs" the entire time. ^_^ We know what you meant.

I like the uniforms but as the others' said, I think the crab claw is the way to go. I'd also look into finding a new font for the wordmark and the jersey numbers...it just doesn't work for me.

However, I LOVE the idea for the alternate. It's one of those "remembering where you came from" deals. If I was the owner of the Claws and had to resort to taping a piece of paper with my team name on it over old jerseys and wound up with a successful professional team 30 years later, I'd design my alternates the same way.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Overall, I like the design. The logos are very appealing and the color scheme is a natural choice. The only thing that bothers me is that the logo is of actual claws instead of crab claws, which Baltimore would relate to better. But, other than that, it looks splendid.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I really like the jersey design for the home and away, and the script is pretty killer. I agree that a crab is the way to go. But for a basketball team called the "Claws" this is a fairly nice concept.

Keep up the good work man, glad to have you back up and makin' concepts.

Part of the basketball in the primary looks grey to me. Is this just my monitor? (It's the bit on the bottom left of the ball.)

No, you're right, its grey. The original logos ball had that same faint grey in it.

Thanks for the feedback fellas, I shouldve perhaps done my homework on the Claws name / crab logo. I didnt know if it was just a random representation of the nickname picked at the time or something that actually connected with Baltimore.

I do wish I'd gone for the crab claw now, but as I've mentioned before im going to chalk it up as experience and bob on with the next concept. Time management and all that. However when the series is finished I think I may go back over them in my own time, and post some updated versions,

Thanks guys

Turk

sigen.jpg

Yeah I should be a Crab Claw not so much a chicken's foot.

Come on we all know that here in Baltimore we sit down to a big pile of steamed Chicken Feet! :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Yeah I should be a Crab Claw not so much a chicken's foot.

Come on we all know that here in Baltimore we sit down to a big pile of steamed Chicken Feet! :D

Alright, trappy!! :D

I had actually decided to re-do this concept, except a self proclaimed 'computer whizz' has been round to 'sort out' the PC I use at my mums, and promptly just humped the whole thing. My files & favourites are gone, he's balls'ed other stuff up and I'm now trying to put it back how it should be.

So lets put a pin in it for now because all the work I'd done on the Carolina Cougars has now gone and has to be re-done!!

:cursing:

sigen.jpg

I hope for the Carolina Cougars the logo will be a 40+ woman sitting in a bar hitting on a 20 something guy. That would be an awesome logo. :D

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived