PRODIGY THREAD: APPRENTICE

GFB

Ya know what it is with the logo I think its because the column part is too long and the top is too steep compared to the actual building.'

Also for the number font, I say we do something a bit more innovative and creative. I was thinking adding stars to it some how.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry I haven't been voicing my opinion guys, I just got back at 2 a.m. last night (well today technically). Obviously I had no internet connection and couldn't do anything, and if we ultimately lose and I'm forced to be fired, so be it.

I like blue and orange or blue/red/gold for our colors.

Wordmarks I'm sold on, I like the star tail thing. It's much more unique than all other scripty wordmarks in baseball.

Logo is tough. I don't know why but I'm not really into Devin's rendition. Too simple and too bulky to go with the curvy script I think.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Okay, Maz, just so you know, I will be around until the deadline. I am out of work for today, and have tomorrow off. I probably won't venture too far away from my computer for very long, since we still have a lot to do. Have we thought about how to show the logo the way it would look on a t-shirt? I thought about converting my NFL jersey template into a t-shirt, unless you have something better. I will try to work on some numbers. I tried angling the NS in the sleeve patch, but it just didn't fit in the space right. If anybody else has sleeve patch ideas, throw them out here. Hopefully I can think of another idea some time today. I don't think the screen-printing will be a problem, with our colors. Yellow is light enough that it shouldn't even really show through white. The other team might have problems with their red though.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I was thinking...

...if we could somehow incorporate stars into the wordmark (Not so much like the star tail, but it might look good if tweaked enough) and into the main logo, for the number font, the large gaps or holes in some numbers could be made to be somewhat star shaped? Its unique, and by incorporating stars in the other designs, we have an element that helps link the pieces together into a fluid design.

example:

numbahz.png

Now that I do it, it looks kinda 70's schoolhouse rock-ish, but maybe if done right it will look good.

oBIgzrL.png

Here are my font designs. First pretty basic and has few modifications but I think it works really well with the wordmark font.

senators-numbers.png

Second is much more custom and I like it a lot but we would be forced to go with the one color wordmark..

senators-font-2.png

And here is something I just finished working on. It actually started as the Patriots number font, because I wanted the wide vertical bars and thin horizontal bars, and a solid font. I tried to change it to resemble the wordmark a little bit, but still be a solid athletic number font. Also, any more ideas about a secondary logo, anyone?

NorthState8.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

We have til noon today (monday) correct?

I do like that last number font, but I think the first one may be best.

I still don't really like that logo design though. I'm trying to think of what to do. Some simple modifications that may make it a bit better: on the senators wordmark, rolling with maz' idea to use stars more, maybe put one in the "a" instead of the tail, although I do like the star tail. Then on the baseball field logo, put a star at the top (second base) in place of the base. just simple stuff that could make it all flow well together and have one recurring part.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I still don't really like that logo design though. I'm trying to think of what to do. Some simple modifications that may make it a bit better: on the senators wordmark, rolling with maz' idea to use stars more, maybe put one in the "a" instead of the tail, although I do like the star tail. Then on the baseball field logo, put a star at the top (second base) in place of the base. just simple stuff that could make it all flow well together and have one recurring part.

Indeed

As far as the numbers, I like those, but the problem with them is that they dont seem to fit well with the wordmark.

As far as a secondary, im really lost as far as ideas. Chestutz's seems like a good idea. I'll think it over.

oBIgzrL.png

Indeed

As far as the numbers, I like those, but the problem with them is that they dont seem to fit well with the wordmark.

As far as a secondary, im really lost as far as ideas. Chestutz's seems like a good idea. I'll think it over.

As far as adding stars to each piece of the identity, that isn't needed just to make them fit together. In the wordmark, the only way stars will work is the way I did the tail with stars. The wordmark is all rounded, and just flows, and throwing in a single jagged, pointy star, doesn't fit. I am not sure about the star tail either, but it at least keeps with the flow of the wordmark.

And the number font, it doesn't have to match the wordmark perfectly. It has some things in common with the wordmark, though. Athletic numbers should be strong, in my opinion. That is why plain athletic block numbers are used so much. The numbers can only look so much like a wordmark, especially when the wordmark is in cursive. I am not sure if sgoalie's numbers are 'custom' enough.

Anyways, I am still trying to get the secondary to look better, just in case we can't come up with something better in the next 10 hours.

MegatronSig2.jpg

And the number font, it doesn't have to match the wordmark perfectly. It has some things in common with the wordmark, though.

The thing is, I dont see them as having much in common other than the fact that they arent squared off.

I see where youre coming from, but with the wordmark being cursive its somewhat old school, but the numbers seem almost modern. It doesnt seem to fit.

Hoever, at this point, I dont think theres much time for us to get into too much of a squabble about it. Im not sayign we should settle, but if we have to making it gold with a white outline might help them fit more.

Just as a reminder, guys. These were the basic requirements.

- List of colors chosen. Check, but we need the CMYK values for the screener

- Wordmark to go across the chest. Check, though puttin "North State" in it somehow might not hurt. If its not immediately possible, then nevermind.

- A logo to put on the sleeve. doin right now

- Custom numbers. (Numbers only, letters are not required) I dont think it would hurt. Similar font as the nubmers in all white would be better than nothing.

- A presentation of what the t-shirt will look like from the front and the back. We still need to think of that.

I know I dont have to remind you guys whats at stake (getting new life in the competition, saving me the hassle of deciding who to fire (helping all of us in the next round by doing so), and getting us some free t-shirts)

Looking at Optimus's design, I think we stand a really good chance at winning this, if we can get a good enough secondary logo and number set.

oBIgzrL.png

Another thing they have in common are the wide vertical bars, with thinner horizontal bars. I understand what you are saying with the classic/modern problem between wordmark and numbers. Also, I don't know how the numbers will be applied, so I kept them one color. Single color may be the best as far as price goes for Mac, and would show that we are also considering what would be best for the client, and the process of getting them produced. I will try to mess with some more number sets.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Also, I don't know how the numbers will be applied, so I kept them one color. Single color may be the best as far as price goes for Mac, and would show that we are also considering what would be best for the client, and the process of getting them produced.

In that case its a good idea. We could also say that, if it isnt a price problem for mac, we could easily throw some color in if he wishes.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived