Oklahoma City NBA Concept

zengaribaldi

This is my first concept and am just looking for some feedback in improving my overall skills with Inkscape and creating/designing.

The concept itself was something I was hooked on for awhile, and actually forced me to draw it out. I started off with the name Lawmen, but that sounded ridiculous to me, so went with what seemed to be the leading choice a couple of days ago. I also went with the colors that I associate oil and Oklahoma with: a dark rich red, a rust, a light gold, and of course a black. So here's the start, and just looking for a little constructive criticism to make this pop some more.

Baronsprimary.png

Baronssecondary.png

Baronstertiaries.png

For the jerseys I was thinking of the light gold/cream color for the homes and black for the aways, mostly using the rust and dark red for the accents. For the major work on the jerseys themselves, I was thinking of an abstract take on a derrick running up the length of the shorts and top. I didn't want to start on those until the artwork was critiqued and modified though, so we'll leave those for later.

Also, as a note on the secondary. It definitely reminded me of another logo after I finished it. I didn't intentionally try to copy anything else, but it seems to be close to something. If you have a guess or an idea of another logo it closely resembles, just let me know.

The thing is, you can't really relate an oil drop to the name Barons. A Baron has nothing to do with oil. Unless the Baron got rich off of selling oil--which even then is an odd connotation.

i think it works... "oil baron" is a fairly common term.

my only real complaint is the secondary logo... at first glance, i was trying to figure out what OKCA meant.

The thing is, you can't really relate an oil drop to the name Barons. A Baron has nothing to do with oil. Unless the Baron got rich off of selling oil--which even then is an odd connotation.

I thought that's why they went with Barons for the team name. (They did go with that name, right? Maybe I missed the boat on that?) It's an oil reference.

As for the concept, I like it. Especially the colors. Very solid choices to convey the whole oil idea. I also like the drop for a tertiary logo and I really like the artsy-sort of shape for the derrick. However, I'm not a fan of that really light colored highlight though, and the secondary does look like "OKCA." Other than those two things, I dig it ^_^

Very solid concept, zengaribaldi. For a first concept, it's spectacular. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the secondary logo, but other than that, I love everything about this. Can't wait to see what you come up with for the uniforms.

LB2nd.png

chicagowhitesox.pngchicagobears.pngchicagobulls.pngchicagoblackhawks.pngchicagofire.png

Very good - nice colors, different than any team, solid logo -simple and yet easy to identify with. Great work!!!

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Tertiary looks nice but I think you have way too many different shapes and colors going on in it. Simplify it a lot.

I don't know, this identity with the Barons name doesn't fit to me at all. You're better off just changing the name.

Also reminds me a lotttt of that other OKC concept going on with the oil.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Finally finished the jerseys. Decided to do the light gold for the home jerseys, thinking it would add a uniqueness factor that Oklahoma City really needs. And special thanks to the pinned templates thread and especially to Nesi for the template design.

Home

Baronshome.png

Away

Baronsaway.png

Finally finished the jerseys. Decided to do the light gold for the home jerseys, thinking it would add a uniqueness factor that Oklahoma City really needs. And special thanks to the pinned templates thread and especially to Nesi for the template design.

Home

Baronshome.png

Away

Baronsaway.png

WOAHH...can't see those working. Tone them down a bit!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Home

Baronshome.png

Away

Baronsaway.png

WOAHH...can't see those working. Tone them down a bit!

love them. dont change a thing.

2004RedSox.png

Everything looks pretty good, especially for a first concept. Very nice. However, I'm not sold at all on the name Barons, or the oil theme. For one thing, "Barons" is not terribly intimidating, cool, or very relevant or identifiable with OKC(as far as I know), and also since there already is a North American pro franchise called the Oilers, and there used to be another one, they really ought to go with a different identity. And that's all besides the fact that the oil industry is looking bad in the eyes of the public right now with high gas prices and pollution/global warming. I can't see a new team using oil, which within 100 years will probably run out, as an identity. It really doesn't show much faith in the long term success of the franchise in my opinion. I think they should go with some sort of tornado themed identity personally. I love the colors, and the logos/jerseys look good, but the oil thing is the wrong way to go.

Archived