Nfl 2005 Expansion?

MrTitan

Toronto has LITERALLY the oldest professional football club in North America, and doesn't support them.....good luck with the NFL....

I know, I know, they want to be major league, blah blah blah. They should appreciate what they have.

The NFL and anything else football is not comparititve. Being in Milwaukee, I would go to, if not own season tickets to, an NHL franchise. Im not going to make the trip downtown a lot to see guys work out their kinks before heading to, Nashville....(still sounds stupid.)

I wouldnt mind seeing a team in Toronto. So long as they dont take "frozen tundra" label from the packers. :evil:

I really do dispise the vikings, especially because they have this tough name, that represents there nordic @$$ kickers, and they play inside on carpet, in a temperature controlled climate. Im for keeping them in Minnesota first, so long as they keep the roof off the new place.

Play RBI Baseball 2K9 @ http://league.rbicentral.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Toronto could support the NFL, they view themselves as a big league city and just the brand name NFL will attract fans in droves, look at the Raptors they seem to be doing well.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Id have to agree with NJTank, the recognizeability of the NFL would attract fans in general. I mean if i were an NFL fan in the greater Toronto area, i would absolutely love to see a traditional team like the Packers play my home team.

Toronto would be a great expansion place.

Except for this one thing, I can't quite put my finger on it, oh yeah....

$$$MONEY!!!$$$$$

-The NFL LIVES on TV revenue, Americans don't care about Toronto, so they don't watch Toronto. And they don't want an unequal burden of the television fund distributed by Toronto because of Canadian dollars.

-Again, revenue sharing is extreme in the NFL, so they don't want Canadian dollars there.

-A new stadium would have to be built, or SkyDome would need an extreme renovation to add about 20k seats and modern NFL amenities.

-There is an extreme reluctance to expand, because it detracts from the revenue again. More to each with 32 then 33 teams.

-MANY more locations could sustain in the US alone, Los Angeles,San Antonio, Portland, New Jersey (With the two NY teams returning to the city), many more.

-Players don't want to go to TO.

-Canadian Government interference. The CFL is considered a national treasure by some, and any team would face much legal action.

-Toronto is a lame sports city. The Rock and Leafs do great, the Blue Jays and Raptors do OK, but anything else is about dead.

-More travel expenses

-The sheer fact that the NFL is rollin' in it, and that with Indianapolis probably going to LA, (And even if they don't)they would have an almost perfect US gridline with massive amounts of cash coming in and otherwise. Why screw it up with a Canadian adventure?

And THAT is why Toronto is not a good idea.

I think Toronto could support the NFL, they view themselves as a big league city and just the brand name NFL will attract fans in droves, look at the Raptors they seem to be doing well.

Toronto IS big league. They already have the NHL, NBA and MLB, and as a metro area, Toronto is larger than most of the current NFL cities.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

Toronto would be a great expansion place.

Except for this one thing, I can't quite put my finger on it, oh yeah....

$$$MONEY!!!$$$$$

-The NFL LIVES on TV revenue, Americans don't care about Toronto, so they don't watch Toronto. And they don't want an unequal burden of the television fund distributed by Toronto because of Canadian dollars.

-Again, revenue sharing is extreme in the NFL, so they don't want Canadian dollars there.

-A new stadium would have to be build, or SkyDome would need an extreme renovation to add about 20k seats and modern NFL amenities.

-There is an extreme reluctance to expand, because it detracts from the revenue again. More to each with 32 then 33 teams.

-MANY more locations could sustain in the US alone, Los Angeles,San Antonio, Portland, New Jersey (With the two NY teams returning to the city), many more.

-Players don't want to go to TO.

-Canadian Government interference. The CFL is considered a national treasure by some, and any team would face much legal action.

-Toronto is a lame sports city. The Rock and Leafs do great, the Blue Jays and Raptors do OK, but anything else is about dead.

-More travel expenses

-The sheer fact that the NFL is rollin' in it, and that with Indianapolis probably going to LA, they would have an almost perfect US gridline with massive amounts of cash coming in and otherwise. Why screw it up with a Canadian adventure?

The NFL would still get the revenue from all the Canadians tuning into the Toronto NFL games... don't forget there are over 30 million canucks, that's like adding a team to California for the first time, then saying noone outside california will watch, so why bother.

There has been talk about renovating Skydome for a while now, Rogers has been trying to purchase it. One item includes ripping out the hotels, and restaurants (the coolest parts of the stadium) and adding seats.

Toronto is a lame sports city?

The Leafs have sold out every game since the 1940s

The Raptors have practically sold out every game in the past 5 seasons, as well as being the top 5 in NBA attendence (which is just 'OK' to you)

The Rock, need I say more, an NLL team that draws 17,000 per game... quite lame I guess.

The Jays are suffering, but what MLB team isn't? Attendence went up last year and they're averaging about 23,000 per game now. Should keep going up this season.

The Argos draw poorly, but again that's the management of the team (montreal expos syndrome), the Argos draw about 19,000 per game.

Three uber-successful franchises, and two semi-successful franchises is not lame. The NFL has played three games at the SkyDome and every game sold out. The Bills hold a "Canada Day" game every year, which attracts thousands of Ontarians.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Colts to toronto... Anyone?  :flagcanada:

:cursing: OoO If I was in Canada Chris youd be one sorry man. :cursing:

Hey out of all the 32 nfl teams i'd like to call the Colts my hometown team the most... take it as a compliment :grin:

---

Chris Creamer

I already said the Rock and Leafs do great. (Are the Leafs sport, or a religion? :D )

The NFL wouldn't make another dime from a TV deal because of Toronto deal. They already get the fees from Global, and most Canadians (Myself included) watch the games from the US networks anyway.

Didn't know about the Raptors, touche there....

But, still, there is too much against an NFL team in Toronto.

The Colts might make the trip to Toronto, but that's only if the Chargers move to LA...

Even that's slim.

I think the NFL wants an LA team, but they can live without one...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I think it will be a long time (if ever) before the NFL goes to Toronto. I don't think it has anything to do with not wanting a Canadian team in an "All-American" League. I think it comes down to the NFL trying to show some respect to the Canadian Football League. If Toronto were to get an NFL team, the Argos would not be able to compete and if you take the CFL out of Toronto the league folds in short order. The NFL and CFL have coexisted for years, the NFL does not "raid" the CFL rosters (although admittedly there is not a lot to raid) regularly. In fact I heard one time that a few years ago when things were looking incredibly bleak for the survival of the CFL, the NFL stepped up with some "support" to help keep the going.

I personally do not want to see a team in Toronto, but for purely selfish reasons. The Buffalo Bills draw lots of fans from across the border in Southern Ontario, those fans would probably change allegiance in a heartbeat, making the actual area that the Bills can draw fans from that much smaller. We already don't get credit for all the Televisions that watch the Bills games from Toronto to the Border on the Buffalo affiliates, making our reported TV market and the actual one much different....

...Which brings up yet another reason: The Bills and Lions think of Ontario as their territory. They would demand compensation....

I wouldn't think the Lions would, they're quite a ways from Toronto... a 5 hour drive, I believe... Buffalo would have a case, being only about 90 mins away.

---

Chris Creamer

Guest -*gdffl86*-

With New York State Inheritance Taxes and Laws the way they are there is no way Bills owner Ralph Wilsons' family will be able to keep the team upon his death. He ain't getting any younger, so sad to say I can see a scenario a few years from now where the family is desperately trying to sell the team rather than claim it as an inheritance. Thus some wealthy businessman scoops them up and moves them to Tor/LA anyplace he thinks he can get a sweetheart deal.

In my rose colored glasses world, I foresee a local businessman saving the day and keeping the team in Buffalo (maybe Golisano, new owner of the NHL Sabres?).

But I don't hold out hope for that scenario.....

Archived