Oklahoma City Cyclones logo/uniforms

HelluvaDesigner

Hi. I'm new to this board, but I love it already. It's nice to see so many people as obsessed with sports identity as I am.

I'm a design student currently working on finishing up my portfolio, and I want to get some more sports stuff in it so I may actually get paid to do this some day.

I've already shown this to a couple teachers and my class, so I'm currently working on some of the changes they suggested, but I wanted to see what other feedback I could get on my original product as well.

I'll post some updates soon. Thanks.

OKCcyclones2.jpg

I'm a Ramblin' Wreck from Georgia Tech and a helluva... designeer?

teams_signature.jpg

Don't have much time, but real quick:

Basketball number fonts usually look better when they are tall, not wide. The ones you are using now look way too wide to look right on an NBA jersey. The colors and name are fine by me. The cyclone needs some work IMO. It doesn't have much motion to it, its just a bunch of C's stacked on top of eachother that ends in a triangle. I like the overall shape your have going on with the logo, but just rework the cyclone so it looks more like it's moving and maybe terrorizing, and you have something good here. Oh, and don't forget the number font. Nice job.

Thanks for your feedback. I just used the font as is for the numbers, but I'll alter them to make them taller. I thought they were a little squatty.

I'm working on redrawing the cyclone now.

A question I have for people is this: Sports logos seem to always have all the accent colors to add some dimension and really thick (and multiple) strokes to make it all one unit. It appears more in college logos I guess, but do you think it's bad to have it be "flat" like mine is? I've always kind of thought less is better - like strip away all that isn't necessary - but for some reason sports logos seem to go against that.

teams_signature.jpg

Id like to see an alternate with the gold/white horizontal stripes across the sides of the jersey...

Funny you mention that; that was my first uniform idea. I'd post it, but I never fully realized it. I'll work on it when I get some time, though. This was kind of extra, and school stuff is catching up to me now.

Thanks for your feedback, guys. Keep it comin.

teams_signature.jpg

IMO the logo with the wordmark doesn't work on the jerseys. I think that what ever the team gets called the jerseys should have Oklahoma then the number and below it City.

Kind of like what the Hornets did a few times in OKC:

IMG_0447_001.jpg

IMO the logo with the wordmark doesn't work on the jerseys. I think that what ever the team gets called the jerseys should have Oklahoma then the number and below it City.

Kind of like what the Hornets did a few times in OKC:

IMG_0447_001.jpg

Oh, I was going to say, there are no NBA teams that put a word under the number, but I guess they tried it that year. It seems very collegiate.

teams_signature.jpg

I love the way you lay out your concepts! It looks like you just took a picture of a jersey from a store.

Keep it up!

thanks. i actually did it b/c i didn't have any template, but now that i've found those, i'll start using them. maybe i'll present it both ways. i do like the real look.

teams_signature.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I finally had some time to tweak this and try and make it portfolio-worthy. I thickened some of the strokes, redrew the cyclone and tried to make it more active, and got rid of the black box.

Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

OKCcyclones_logo.jpg

teams_signature.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived