Prodigy Thread: Apprentice Challenge 4

chestnutz

Figured I'm online I'll start the thread up. I'm going to try my best on this one, after my close call to being fired.

Let's look at the history, landmarks, etc. of Beijing and see if we can incorporate the 5 rings and see what mascot would be good. Who's up for PM?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't been PM yet, however, I'll be in Boston on Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday. If there's somebody else up for the job I think its best that they take it this round. It wouldn't be impossible for me to take the job, but I don't think its a very good choice. Providing I stay in the competition, I'll gladly do it next challenge when I am not going to be gone during the middle of it.

Sgoalie19 is the only other one who hasn't been PM, I believe.

----

As for ideas, I think we really ought to utilize a dragon.

ADDED:

here's a list of things that pop into my head when I think China:

Bamboo

The Great Wall

Pandas

Dragons

Martial Arts

Chinese Characters

Paper

Silk

The Forbidden City

Ect...

Thinking about it, China has such a rich and fairly well recognized history. There's lots of things we can do that aren't what you'd necessarily expect, but still make you think China.

Ok, first off, my vote to sgoalie.

Secondly, as far as Ideas, I like the idea of the great wall or dragon.

Theres also the Temple of Heaven:

800px-TempleofHeaven-HallofPrayer.jpg

However, im not keen on the idea of using landmarks either. I think we should go for something more abstract, like these logos:

6961.gif6976.gif6978.gif

I tink we should avoid using humanlike figures, also.

For a mascot we could use a panda or some other friendly looking local animal.

oBIgzrL.png

For a mascot we could use a panda or some other friendly looking local animal.

What they use now is a panda, so it will have to be something else.

I haven't had any good ideas yet. I like SG30's idea of incorporating a dragon though.

MegatronSig2.jpg

An idea that came to my mind, while it's hard to describe is...

For a logo a stylized dragon could be coiled up in 5 different places, forming the 5 rings of the olympic logo. Just a thought.

Or...a stylized dragon head pointing up vertically breathing fire, resembling the olympic torch.

spacer.png

An idea that came to my mind, while it's hard to describe is...

For a logo a stylized dragon could be coiled up in 5 different places, forming the 5 rings of the olympic logo. Just a thought.

Or...a stylized dragon head pointing up vertically breathing fire, resembling the olympic torch.

I actually thought of the same thing, with the coiled up dragon to make the five rings. I tried sketching something, but didn't come up with anything I liked.

I really like your second idea. I think it has some potential.

Oh, and someone on the other team seems to think we stole an idea from them already.... :rolleyes: Not sure what though. Oh well......

MegatronSig2.jpg

Well, considering sg30 mentioned it at 22:35, and shiny mentioned it at 23:something, it was not stolen by us.

/message to other team we didnt steal that idea in case theyre reading this

But, thats besides the point. I dont like the dragon making five rings - the five rings should be left as is. The dragon could wind like the way the great wall does?

After thinking of it, the great wall would be a bad idea. It woudl symbolize "keeping out", and with these being China's "coming out party", that may not translate well.

oBIgzrL.png

After thinking of it, the great wall would be a bad idea. It woudl symbolize "keeping out", and with these being China's "coming out party", that may not translate well.

China's gay? :D

Another idea I came up with is maybe for just a wordmark or a logo, but if you look at the numbers 2008, you'll see they really form 5 rings in itself. If placed correctly, the number 2008 can form the olympic rings. As does B'08. Put some chinese flair into it and bam.

spacer.png

China's gay? :D

Yeah, prolly not the best wording.

Anyways, yeah. Optimus is speedin ahead of us here.

oBIgzrL.png

Chicago's original bid logo got shot down because of the torch. According to the IOC, bid logos may not use "Olympic Imagery". I'd like to think the rules are the same for regular logos.

Here's an idea...how about a Pagoda with an open door surrounded by some bamboo? The image in my head makes it look very welcoming and says China very well. It also prevents any of that "keep out" imagery that the Great Wall has, and its not your traditional dragon.

Chicago's original bid logo got shot down because of the torch. According to the IOC, bid logos may not use "Olympic Imagery". I'd like to think the rules are the same for regular logos.

Here's an idea...how about a Pagoda with an open door surrounded by some bamboo? The image in my head makes it look very welcoming and says China very well. It also prevents any of that "keep out" imagery that the Great Wall has, and its not your traditional dragon.

I like the idea. Ive been trying to make some abstract pagoda-shaped figures, but so far its not workin out for me. Im sure one of you guys could make it work, though.

oBIgzrL.png

Hm, you sure we can't use a torch?

In 96 Atlanta used a torch image in their logo.

logo19962.gif

Also, we need to be much more active guys. Someone has to step up and be PM because sgoalie is nowhere to be found. Optimus already has several logos constructed. Though, not to take a stab at them or anything, but they aren't very original, considering several logos in the past look like the ones they've made (the rope things coming out of the rings).

lg1976sm2.gif

lg1980sm.gif

spacer.png

Problem is, legally, sgoalie and sg30 are the only ones who can be PM until next challenge which is when DP regains his elidgability. We could ask GFB if he will give a reprieve, but I doubt he will.

oBIgzrL.png

I was going to suggest that. That we bend the rules and elect sg or sgoalie as the elected pm, and have someone else act as one.

Hopefully GFB and the board will let us get away with having someone other than the elected PM making the final presentation a second time in a row.

In any case, this looks like it might be our best choice.

I volunteer my services as the "PM".

oBIgzrL.png

Sounds good to me maz. You can be the unofficial PM. I'm having a lot of trouble with this challenge though. Olympic logos are so intriguing, the fact that they are usually quite abstract. I've been trying to do that 5 coiled rings with the dragon thing.

spacer.png

Alright, im puttin out a time table. I cant split us up since it seems its only us three.

Midnight Friday - Logo idea decided on

Midnight Sunday - Mascot and any other extra bits (banners, etc) (if any) decided on

Midnight Monday - Logo and Mascot finalized

Midngth Tuesday - Extra bits are finalized - presentation finished and posted here.

I know I dont have any way to force you guys to follow it, but I will tell you this.

A loss here, and were in a deep deep hole, especially with Optimus having the head start.

A win, and we have the headstart next round, and we could even it up once again.

However, if you have any other suggestions to the schedule, let me know.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived