Prodigy Thread: Apprentice Challenge 4

chestnutz

Agreed.

What things could we put them on? Look around at places the current Beijing logo is and see where we can put ours for presentation's sake. On uniforms, signs, stadiums, etc.

It feels good to get most things done with still a good amount of time to spare, doesn't it?

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

About the rings, I can change them back to normal, but if you look at the Olympics section of the main site, many have had the rings in different colors, including the 2012 logo.

Asian dragons do have horns similar to antlers. Maybe they could use some tweaking, but they should still resemble antlers.

I guess I can add a fifth toe, if you guys really think it is needed. We need to decide on which logo to use, though.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I say we use the dragon head logo, change the ring colors to all red, at least. Put another toe on the dragon, change the eyes to match amongst the mascots, and add maybe a few different kinds of banners, and maybe a new slogan if we have time to think of one.

oBIgzrL.png

Which dragon head, the last one I posted, with the torch, or the more stylized one before that? I like the more stylized one quite a bit. The other one, I don't think the head looks as good, but the torch in there might be better with the judges. Or they may feel it is forced. I don't know. Whatever the rest of you guys think, I will go with it. I don't have one logo that I heavily favor over the others.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I agree, I think the latest is the best. Just the stylized dragon head on it's own doesn't represent the Olympics well enough IMO. It needs something more, and that something more is what the latest head has. The torch fits into it beautifully, and the stars don't look forced or anything.

As for phrases, maz, I really like the last 2.

"Year of the People"

"The People's world, the People's games."

spacer.png

The latest dragon logo is fantastic. Good work dp.

Also I think, "Year of the People" is a very strong and very Chinese slogan.

I think that the dragon, boy, and girl would go good together, but I'm still not sold on the Panda...also, we need names for them.

And as for what Optimus is doing, I think that we should just put a presentation together just as if we were pitching this to the IOC. That is what they're doing, but we should do it on our own, not just because they're doing things such as adding CMYK values and such. I think we should do it, but not because they are.

I am a little worried about using the Chinese kids. They kind of seem too stereotypical. I am not sure that they would be accepted too well, especially by the people of China.

I was just thinking that too. I dunno. I guess it can go either way. On one hand you're representing Chinese culture, but on the other, you're being stereotypical.

That was one of the things I was thinking as I was deciding what to make their color skin. of course the stereotypical racist yellow is there, but at what point are you being real or being stereotypical? It's tough, and I'm not sure if it's a risk worth taking. I don't think they're necessary, but they could help.

spacer.png

That was one of the things I was thinking as I was deciding what to make their color skin. of course the stereotypical racist yellow is there, but at what point are you being real or being stereotypical? It's tough, and I'm not sure if it's a risk worth taking. I don't think they're necessary, but they could help.

Exactly, so it all depends if we're willing to take that risk or not. Personally, I don't feel as though we are offending the Chinese. It feels more like a Disney Channel representation of their tradition than say, a Family Guy representation.

Here are a couple different colorings of the latest dragon head logo, and the other dragon head for comparison, all with the original coloring of the rings. I think I slightly favor the first dragon. First of all, it looks more like a dragon. Something still doesn't look right to me with the one with the torch. It just doesn't look as much like a dragon, and I can't figure out how to make it better. The first one seems to go much better with the wordmark, the styles are very similar. Finally, the first one shows movement, which of course is a big part of the olympics. There may not be a lot to it, but I think the beauty is in its simplicity. I think there is enough to the wordmark, that the simple logo still work really well. Those are just my thoughts, here they are for you to compare.

BeijingLogos4.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I like the middle one best, still.

One idea that just came to me that you may want to try out is to maybe make one of the dots on the "i" or "j" into a torch/fire. It's a good way to link the wordmark with the logo. Or, replace them with stars.

spacer.png

Okay, as far as the kids for the mascots, I am thinking it is not quite worth the risk. Plus, the style the dragon mascot was done in, doesn't match the style of the kids, so they wouldn't really all fit together.

I work until six tomorrow. After work, I will work on adding the 5th toe on each of the mascot's feet, and maybe add some more detail to him. I will see what I can do with the horns. Everything I can do will be done tomorrow night. I will get the stuff on the template, making it much easier for us all when the deadline rolls around.

Everyone, please state which of those logos you like best.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I like the dragon on the right best. The one in the middle has too much gold, which doesnt stand out as well against light colors. It makes the torch too obvious, imo. Its a better somewhat hidden element that makes people go "oh, theres a torch in it to. cool", rather than "oh, all that stuff around it is a dragon". Also, I think the wordmark looks best with the dots on the i's and j's being in red.

oBIgzrL.png

After taking a second look at it, I agree with the above - right dragon and any wordmark works for me.

Seems we're all set then? Just the dragon as the mascot? Today I think we can all work on the presentation and putting the logo on real things.

spacer.png

Archived