Prodigy Thread: Apprentice Challenge 4

chestnutz

Sorry I've been gone for the last 24 hours guys, but I'm back for the night.

dp, you have to stop being so amazing. That last logo is phenomenal. Maybe make the bamboo more "bamboo-y"? Right now I'm not sure it can be immediately recognized as bamboo. Also, play with the position of the stars, maybe try to match the position that's on their coat of arms.

Or just give the file to me, mooseec22@yahoo.com (in .SVG format of course)

I'm also going to try to vectorize that Beijing2008 text SG30 made.

And damn, looks like ColaCock had the same thinking I did with using the farmer's hat on a cute animal

beijing_turtle_mascot.jpg

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
dp, I got the template. It says I dont have the font used in the text. What font is it, and where can I get it?

It is Gibraltar. I believe it was already on my computer, so I don't really know how you could get it.

And Chestnutz, I will send the vector your way in a minute.

MegatronSig2.jpg

dp, I got the template. It says I dont have the font used in the text. What font is it, and where can I get it?

It is Gibraltar. I believe it was already on my computer, so I don't really know how you could get it.

Yeah, a quick google search turned up nothing in the way of fonts. I'll have to use one similar, unless you just want to do the presentation picture, like walways, and I can do the typing (if sgoalie cant make it).

oBIgzrL.png

Yeah, a quick google search turned up nothing in the way of fonts. I'll have to use one similar, unless you just want to do the presentation picture, like walways, and I can do the typing (if sgoalie cant make it).

Yeah, I can probably just do it, or if SGoalie is around, he can, since I sent him the template also. If for some reason, neither of us can, you can do it and just use some other simple font.

Chestnutz, the logo has been sent.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Wow, we let this drop to page 2?!?!?!?!?!

Anyways, I have been sketching for a while, and I am finally getting closer to something I like for a dragon mascot. I am going to bed now, and work until six tomorrow, so I won't be on again until then. I will work on getting a mascot idea done on the computer tomorrow after work.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Here's one I kinda threw together. I'm not sure if it's an improvement over devin's, but oh well.

I saw that the negative space between the red things can be seen as a sun and it's glare kind of shooting out, so I narrowed it at the bottom and gradually made it bigger as it goes up.

I also extended the bamboo down the bottom, just cause I thought the ending was kind of awkward in the other one.

Didn't know where to put the stars though.

BeijingLogo.png

spacer.png

There are two issues I have with this:

1. Using the five starts of China might not be a good idea. I dont see a huge reason not to do it, but someone might

2. They way the sticks end almost make it look like a baseball logo.

oBIgzrL.png

I've been trying for the past couple of hours to put together an abstract representation of beijing for the main part of the logo but can't make anything work. I do however think I found a good base for the logo:

beijing-wordmarks.png

The font is Diavlo. It has a bit of an oriental touch for Beijing but maintains a professional look.

I'm shot on ideas for the main logo element for now so I think I'm going to move on to designing a mascot.

Here is a sketch of a dragon mascot. I need to get myself a scanner. You can still see the idea though. I had one with a body, but on the tiny picture I took with my phone, you could barely tell what it was. :P

BeijingMascot1.jpg

MegatronSig2.jpg

Hmm. Its pretty cool. The horns dont say "dragon" to me, but that one has more of an "old and wise, but friendly" look, rather than young and energetic.

That could be good: China is an old and wise country thats brought many things to the rest of the world

Or bad: China is old and not as innocent and energetic as other countries.

I think its a risk worth taking.

oBIgzrL.png

Ok I just got back. Fun weekend for me...

A few thoughts...

1. I'm still in love with DPs logo, but I liked the way he had the stars better before and I liked that the bamboo stopped. Maz is right, it does look like a baseball diamond with what you did, chestnutz. Oh and I'd leave the Olympic rings to their original colors. The colors have a lot of significance to them.

2. For the mascots, I have two drawn up that I like. One is a little boy dressed in martial arts gear, and another is a little girl dressed in traditional makeup and clothing. With a little work, Maz's could be really cool. I think it'd be neat to do the boy, girl and dragon. That way all of our mascots are different from each other and what the mascots are now. I'll get my drawings posted in a bit.

3. Wow there was not the level of activity that I expected when I was gone.

Sorry, was gone for the weekend as well. Agree, don't change the olympic ring colors, but I think dp's is by far the best logo we have yet, so we should just use that. Let's not make the mistake of waiting to decide on a logo that's clearly best again.

I don't know about the dragon. The antlers really throw me off. It may be correct in some ways, but it just doesn't look right.

spacer.png

Once again, its a chance we have to take with the dragon. Its the best weve had, and it works very well. According to my timeline we are to have this stuff decided on by midnight, and have the designs fiinished by midnight tomorrow so dp (and/or anyone else) has all tuesday to work on the presentation, then we can all take one final look before I (or sgoalie, if he can) posts it wednesday.

Sgoalie, do you have any idea if you will be able to make the post wednesday?

oBIgzrL.png

The above panda is a little too cutesy for the actual mascot, but I feel like it could be used some how.

Here's the two sketches I came up with that I liked. They need a little work but I like the idea, especially because its something different from previous Olympic mascots, because they're people. However, they still maintain the happy stuffed-animal look.

dsc00980cb9.th.jpg

dsc00981rb6.th.jpg

Archived