Prodigy Thread: Apprentice Challenge 4

chestnutz

I am not sure if the panda is a very good idea, since one of their mascots now is a panda. I worked on the body of my dragon a little bit today, and will finish it tomorrow. I also had a couple more ideas for logos, but I am not sure if I should work on them at all. If most of us like the fan, then we may be better off just staying with that, so we don't go back to being undecided. I like the boy and girl mascots you made, SG30. I think if those get vectorized and I finish the dragon, they will go together well.

MegatronSig2.jpg

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here they are. The one, I am not sure about. It is a stylized dragon. I was trying to think of a way to work the torch in there, and all I could come up with was him wrapped around it. Then I vectorized the head, but I am still not sure about the body. I don't think the head is enough on it's own.For the other idea, I did two versions using a little bit different styles. It is a dragon, facing straight at the viewer, with a torch kind of hidden, but not too much.

BeijingSketch3.jpg

BeijingIdea2.png

BeijingSketch2.jpg

BeijingSketch.jpg

MegatronSig2.jpg

Agreed. I was kind of iffy on the fan, just didn't look like an Olympic logo, but that dragon head is simply amazing. I had been trying to draw a stylized dragon this whole week, but I just couldn't for the life of me, and yours blows mine away. I still don't much like that font, but the one thing I do love about it is the 3 different color dots. Could you send me the .svg and I'll see if I can work a hidden torch into that.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Personally, I like that wordmark. It does need alittle reworking to look more....I dunno...."olympic". I dont like the idea of putting a torch in it.

Also, my only worry about the head logo is that it may not be strong enough to stand alone. Maybe you can find some way to "strenghten" it? Also, I dont like the changing of the onlympic ring colors to two different colors. I think they should either be the original colors, or one color, but thats a minor detail to worry about in the end.

I also like the idea of having the boy/girl mascots and dragon mascot together. It sounds like it could have its own cartoon right there.

So, i assume these are what we're going with? If so, its best if theyre done by tonight so dp, or anyone, can make the presentation and we can all look over it one more time Tuesday.

oBIgzrL.png

Could you send me the .svg and I'll see if I can work a hidden torch into that.

Sent.

Anyways, I do like the way the dragon head turned out. I think maybe it looks better than the fan, but my problem is it isn't as unique. Simply a dragon's head seems to have less thought into it than something that brings three elements together to form one logo. I am trying to look at it from the judge's point of view, but I am not sure which they would like better. Also, what do you guys think of the other two sketches, with the torch somewhat hidden in the dragons head?

And for the wordmark, it might not be a simple, plain font like they usually use, but I don't think that is a bad thing. Both the Sydney and Current Beijing wordmarks use fonts that are more unique, though. I think this wordmark is something that could work on it's own, as well as with the logo, and I think that is a good thing. I made it from scratch, and I think the style of it goes very well with the dragon head, if that is what we end up using. I think the wordmark could use some tweaking, but I think it is solid at the moment.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I get what you're saying. I too don't know if it's strong enough by itself to be an olympic logo.

I love the idea of the hidden torch in the other two heads, but the head just looks weird to me, doesn't flow as well as the one you vectorized. I really like the full bodied dragon logo, I think it's probably my favorite, but again it's not the most "creative" per se, although it looks very nice. Also, I'm not sure what the judges take on using a torch is, I don't think GFB ever commented on it, so we could probably use it.

spacer.png

I get what you're saying. I too don't know if it's strong enough by itself to be an olympic logo.

I love the idea of the hidden torch in the other two heads, but the head just looks weird to me, doesn't flow as well as the one you vectorized. I really like the full bodied dragon logo, I think it's probably my favorite, but again it's not the most "creative" per se, although it looks very nice. Also, I'm not sure what the judges take on using a torch is, I don't think GFB ever commented on it, so we could probably use it.

Actually he just answered...

Are we allowed to use "Olympic Imagery" such as the torch in our logos? I know its not allowed with Applicant/Candidate city logos, seeing as what happened to Chicago. I've been looking for IOC rules on Host City logos but I've been unsuccessful thus far.

Rules for logos are specifically listed in Appendix 1 here- http://multimedia.olympic.org/pdf/en_report_1124.pdf

Article on the Chicago logo- http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/20...474334623_x.htm

I must have missed this question...

hmm... you know, I'm not really sure... I guess I'd have to say no, but if someone else out there knows better than me, feel free to let me know...

Hope this doesn't affect your designs... if it does, pm me, and we'll talk it over...

That's what I thought. I already said Atlanta used a torch in 96, so I doubt it says you can't. Maybe it's something new, but I'd say we're good for this event if we use a torch. I'd love to see that full bodied dragon and torch logo vectored.

I did the boy and girl mascots as best as I could. Not sure what I think of them, but I threw the panda in there for good measure. Looking at it, maybe we could use all three, and the way the panda's hand is it looks like we could have them all holding hands. Kind of community.

boyandgirlbeijingmascotssvg.png

spacer.png

Theres something alittle off about the panda when compated to the kids.

I also would like to see them matched up with dp's dragon mascot.

We'll want to get this stuff done sometime tonight, or tomorrow morning.

oBIgzrL.png

Here is a body for the dragon mascot...

I will try to vectorize one of the other dragon heads, since they might look better once vectorized. I will also work with the one dragon head, and see if I can make it better, or add a body.

BeijingDragon.png

MegatronSig2.jpg

I have another suggestion. Optimus added a street banner to their presentation. We might want to add something extra also.

We might want to make up our own slogan to.

I like the dragon mascot. Maybe if you change the eyes on the kids to match it, or vice versa, it could match better with them. Having it small and between the kids like its their friend or pet. Naming them would be a good idea to.

oBIgzrL.png

I actually like that last dragon head a lot. I think it's a lot more filling than the other head, looks more solid.

I'll add the dragon to the kids and change their eyes tonight probably, or at the latest tomorrow. One thing that troubled me, and I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but what color do I make the kids skin? I just went with tan, but what do you guys think is best and most politically correct?

Oh and Devin, when you have the Olympic rings on the bottom, keep them their normal colors. It's gotta be against the rules, so I'd say just keep them normal.

One more thing - make the dragon have 5 toes, not 4. I read online that chinese dragons are significantly different from Japanese or any other kinds in that they have 5 toes. Just something little that could definitely make it more realistic.

And I'll say it again, I really think you should change the dragon's "antlers" to something more dragony. While some of the sources you used may have those kind of horns, it really doesn't look right at all.

spacer.png

I really, really like it.

dp, the antlers are a bit off, imo

chinese-dragon-mosaic.jpg

chinese-dragon-red.jpg

dragon%20plaque%20(Small).jpg

maybe if you model them more like those, itd look less deer-ish. Other than that, and changing the rings back to the original colors, I think this is our logo, and with chestnutz working on the mascots, we might as well look into the extra bits to add onto this.

Optimus has a number/letter sheet and the cmyk values of the colors. It might be a good idea to do this also.

oBIgzrL.png

Archived