Braves broadcasting legend Skip Caray has died...

HedleyLamarr

...in his sleep today. He was 68.

If you ever watched a Braves game on TBS in the last 30 years, you'd recognize his voice and passion for the game. I got the pleasure of meeting him at my grade school years ago.

RIP Skip. Braves games will never sound the same without you.

Story

In his sleep, which was usually how he sounded when he called games.

But still, a sad day for the Braves, and for someone who watched them from afar on TBS when they were "America's team".

philly.png

Like his father, one of the all-time great voices of baseball. Unfortunately for critical viewers of the game, announcers who have the balls to openly criticize their teams are quite literally a dying breed. I know Skip got mixed reviews from some Braves fans and other baseball fans, but I was always a fan of his delivery, and I think we were better off having more divisive voices rather than slices of broadcast meatloaf like Joe Buck and his well-groomed ilk. The Atlanta Braves lost another big piece of what it means to be the Atlanta Braves, and that's a real shame.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When I moved down here, I couldn't stand Skip Caray. I was used to listening to Ernie Harwell and couldn't accept that other broadcasters had a different style than my favorite. It took a couple years, but I developed an appreciation for Skip's style and took to looking forward to listening to Braves games on the radio. The game lost another legend, and I'm going to miss listening to Skip and Pete together.

Like his father, one of the all-time great voices of baseball. Unfortunately for critical viewers of the game, announcers who have the balls to openly criticize their teams are quite literally a dying breed. I know Skip got mixed reviews from some Braves fans and other baseball fans, but I was always a fan of his delivery, and I think we were better off having more divisive voices rather than slices of broadcast meatloaf like Joe Buck and his well-groomed ilk. The Atlanta Braves lost another big piece of what it means to be the Atlanta Braves, and that's a real shame.

You somewhat hit the nail on the head, but he was much more critical doing work for the Hawks. Outside of an occasional Yankees or Reds telecast, my two teams I got to see were the Braves and Cubs and Skip never tried to be his father. I remember when he promoted "Matlock" by saying it would be after a double play, then the opponent hit into a double play.

That AJC story is a great obit, and I borrowed it for my small tribute page.

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/memorial/2008...moriam2008.html

I hate the Braves as you know but I think Skip should one day join his father in the HOF.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

You somewhat hit the nail on the head, but he was much more critical doing work for the Hawks. Outside of an occasional Yankees or Reds telecast, my two teams I got to see were the Braves and Cubs and Skip never tried to be his father. I remember when he promoted "Matlock" by saying it would be after a double play, then the opponent hit into a double play.

Specifically a 6-4-3, which happened. B)

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

The Braves game got rained out, so they had a tribute for him instead. I watched it, it was really sad.

I loved watching the Braves with Skip, Pete, Joe, and Don in my earlier childhood. It just won't be the same anymore.

Rest in peace Skip, RIP.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Archived