Phoenix Coyotes

fishheatcats

Looking through the NHL to try and find a team with an identity that needs an overhaul, I came across few. The L.A. Kings are one, and really the only other team I think truly needs it is the Coyotes. I am in the small camp of people that thinks the new look is a downgrade. They went from a unique, albeit wacky, Native American/southwestern coyote to a awkward head that looks like he's just been kicked in the gut and is yelping in pain. And the loss of purple hurts the look I think. So what I've done is a compromise. A straight on view of a coyote, more realistic than the original southwestern logo, but he's got feathers and war paint to symbolize the Native/southwest theme. Purple is back as an accent, I think it looks great with maroon. I kept the sand color from the logo and put in into the away and alternate jerseys as well. I also kept the crescent moon alternate, slightly altered with "PHX" inside. Looking at it now the jerseys have a slight Avalanchey look, especially the home whites but I think it's different enough they could get away with it.

coyotesly2.gif

sand pants?

ouch.

sorry. i'm not really a fan of this concept. i like both the original and current coyotes looks more. i'm not a fan of the sand pants (or even having 2 pairs of hockey pants to begin with), and i'm not a fan of the mostly light-colored socks. they looks like football socks, not hockey socks.

and the logo isn't doing much for me either. it looks too friendly and human. it looks like what would happen if chicago blackhawks and chicago wolves merged.

that said, your execution is great. i just don't like the concept behind it.

Logo and jerseys are great, I think you might have your hands full with the PC police and the Blackhawks organization though... not a fan of the sand pants, reminds me too much of the old capitals white pants....Ugh. All in all, well done sir, keep up the good work.

franchise.jpg

I like it alot, but why that color alternate? I bet some people couldn't even tell it apart from the road, mabey try a purple one.

and i dont know about the white pants with the home uni

but other then that an amazing upgrade!

note: i would also put the ducks on this list of teams

Major downgrade, especially when its a professional sports team. The coyote is too friendly and cartoonish, and on that note I'd rather take their original logo over this. The wordmark is a little bland, and not totally sure what the circles inside the O's mean, but the first thing I noticed about the entire concept was the two weird O's along with the Y resembling an owl. (Hooter's?)

The secondary isn't all that bad, it looks better than the rather simple one they currently have. The jersey stripings are decent enough, but sand pants is a big no-no, so are the funny looking numbers.

For a local minor league hockey team? This looks great, but doesn't come close in terms of a professional hockey team.

Wade-sig.png

As a Coyotes fan, here's what I think. First of all I have to say that I'm sure we all can agree that the logos are nicely designed and a lot of effort was put into this concept. However, I really am not a fan. The logo package is ok but I think a downgrade on the primary. Especially since this coyote is so mellow and their current logo captures the Coyote howling in the wild. The moon logo is very cool though. I really don't like the uniforms at all, they look like practice jerseys. Too basic. The purple bothers me too, I don't see the point of it, hopefully they don't put purple back into their scheme, ever. I think green would suit them better.

One more thing: I don't know if this is something hockey players just know, but you wouldn't be able to see the sock stripes. The top part of the sock is under the gurdle in real life. Just FYI.

note: i would also put the ducks on this list of teams

Ah yes I forgot about them. I still think of them as the Mighty Ducks with teal and purple so I always forget what they have now lol.

Okay well I figured the sand colored pants wouldn't go over too well, but I wanted to try it out. The alternate is not purple because I tried that first and it was bad. It didn't work with any of the other colors, even white(in terms of striping). It also didn't go well with either helmet or pants, just weird looking. For the logo I didn't really want to make him seem angry or aggressive, partially because an angry Native American coyote probably wouldn't fly, but mostly because I thought going that route would make it look really minor league.

Archived