Phillies Retro Night

BBTV

Phillies will be wearing their '70s crap on Friday night.

Discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I demand zippers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I always dug that look for them. I demand that Chase Utley be required to wear Pete Rose's haircut from that era.

Well if you demand it, I'm certain it will happen.

BTW - Rose only played one season in the '70s, so I doubt much will be made of him tomorrow night. Besides that, it would be more appropriate for Ryan Howard to don the wig.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Schmidt, Luzinski and company ought to grab a bat and take a few swings on Friday night.

Couldn't hit much worse than the current team has been. ^_^

Richie Ashburn's corpse would instantly slide right into the leadoff spot on this team.

Discuss.

You mean the Phillies are going to look like the Phillies, instead of like extras from a high school production of "Damn Yankees"? All to the good.

I'd have a hard time hating the Phillies, even given their fans, if they would just switch back to the maroon and powder unis. Simple, elegant, and unique, which is pretty much the definition of what makes great uniforms. Plus, judging by the 20,000 Phillies fans who show up in Washington whenever the Phils are in town, the maroon and powder blue is the fan favorite color combo by a margin of about 3-to-1.

20082614447.png

Discuss.

You mean the Phillies are going to look like the Phillies, instead of like extras from a high school production of "Damn Yankees"? All to the good.

I'd have a hard time hating the Phillies, even given their fans, if they would just switch back to the maroon and powder unis. Simple, elegant, and unique, which is pretty much the definition of what makes great uniforms. Plus, judging by the 20,000 Phillies fans who show up in Washington whenever the Phils are in town, the maroon and powder blue is the fan favorite color combo by a margin of about 3-to-1.

I fail to see how a uniform style that they wore for 21 out of 125 seasons can be their look.

Discuss.

I fail to see how a uniform style that they wore for 21 out of 125 seasons can be their look.

They did win their only World Series (and went to another) in that look, so when most people think Phillies, they think cherry red/burgundy and powder blue.

Discuss.

They did win their only World Series (and went to another) in that look, so when most people think Phillies, they think cherry red/burgundy and powder blue.

So you know most people? If you aren't >25, you probably can't even remember seeing them play in those uniforms. If you're >25, especially between 30 - 50, then you grew up with them wearing that set, and could argue that they look "right" in it. Otherwise, I think most people think of the Phillies in the wiz-kids set from the 50s - 60s, which is influenced heavily from their uniforms from the 30s and 40s, and is the influence for the current set (though the execution of the current set is certainly questionable.)

Everyone looks on the past with rose-colored glasses (especially people who weren't even around in the past.) When they wore those uniforms, I'd set in the Vet and hear old timers talk about how they're a disgrace, maroon isn't one of their colors, etc. Not only that, back in that era, the uniforms were skin-tight, so they looked even more like crap. Back in 1992, there was a ton of anticipation about the new uniforms, because so many disliked the old ones. World Series be damned.

They were a product of the 70s, along with racing-stripe stirrups, and should be left there. I'm certain what you will see tonight will not be an accurate depiction of what they looked like during their original run.

Everyone looks on the past with rose-colored glasses (especially people who weren't even around in the past.) When they wore those uniforms, I'd set in the Vet and hear old timers talk about how they're a disgrace, maroon isn't one of their colors, etc.

What? You mean back in the day, Phillies fans sat in the stands and bitched about how much they didn't like the Phillies? Why, I'm shocked, shocked! to hear of such a thing. Really, who could imagine it?

You know what? Phillies fans sitting in the stands bitch about the Phillies. It's what Phillies fans do. The Phillies could wear uniforms designed by God from fabric sews from the hair of the angels in heaven, and Phillies fans would bitch about how the uniforms are to goddam bright that they hurt our eyes to look at and back in my day the Phillies wore real uniforms and by the way it's the top of the first and Moyer has walked a guy with two outs and the manager doesn't have a reliever warming up and can you believe that, what an idiot the manager is it's like he wants to lose the game.

Which is the particular charm of Phillies fans.

Then again, when I was sitting in the Vet when the Phillies were champions of the world, I never heard anyone bitching about the uniforms. I heard plenty of bitching about everything else, including people complaining that Mike Schmidt only hit 48 home runs, but I never saw retro caps or jerseys or t-shirts. It was all Phillies maroon, or it was Eagles green, but not "Whiz Kids" red, white, and blue. Today, most of the Phillies fans who flood road games in Washington seem to wear throwback maroon and powder blue gear, not the current pink haze uniforms.

20082614447.png

It's just my opinion based on first hand observation that the majority of people who like the maroon-era sets are people who are too young to have ever really seen them. Whenever I go to games now, I see it. I haven't been to DC (at least not for what amounts to a Phillies home game) but from TV, the idiot Phillies fans they show (which I'll agree with you - mostly appear to be wearing light blue and maroon) appear to be early 20s.

But whatever - my intent wasn't to come off as a maroon hater, just to bitch about how every teenager and early 20s kid seems to want to beat off as soon as they see those uniforms.

It may not matter though - I may have read too much into the whole '70s night promotion. Here's the "official" text:

It's Retro Night at the Phillies! Fans who come to that night's Phillies-Dodgers game dressed in 70's garb will have the chance to win a Phillies Retro Jersey!

[picture of two fat-slob college kids wearing maroon mercifully removed]

I guess it doesn't technically say that the team will be wearing the old uniforms.

I like the current phillies uniforms very much, home away and alternates are are great looking imo.

To me, the old P that some people wish they would still wear, looks dated imo, obviously from the 70s, but I am still very much forward to seeing them in them tonight.

I'm fairly certain about this, but perhaps someone with more knowledge could confirm:

From the early '80s up until around '85, the pinstripes on the home jersey were actually red - not maroon, like the trim and logo. In fact, one of the catchers (I think it was Dutch Daulton during his first or second year - before he started speaking to lizards) wore red equipment, as opposed to the maroon.

EDIT: I know I wasn't thinking of Bo Diaz, but it appears that he also wore red gear (though he was traded away in '85, one season before I really have a good memory about the team.)

0c15_1.jpg

I always dug that look for them. I demand that Chase Utley be required to wear Pete Rose's haircut from that era.

Well if you demand it, I'm certain it will happen.

BTW - Rose only played one season in the '70s, so I doubt much will be made of him tomorrow night. Besides that, it would be more appropriate for Ryan Howard to don the wig.

I don't care who wears the wig, but I wanna see somebody in that pageboy-haircut-from-hell Pete Rose was rockin' in the early 80s. It looked like he glued the bottom of an Afro wig to his hat and straightened it.

Guarantee, if Ryan Howard wears that thing, he hits for the cycle.

"Well, they made that change uptown and The Big Man joined the band."

--Bruce Springsteen

"10th Avenue Freeze-Out"

Archived