APPRENTICE CHALLENGE 7

pcgd

Ok so this one is a bit different. Its not a real world situation but I hope you all have some fun with this.

There is one wrinkle, each team will have a different objective. I'm offering up two sets of two options, and the winner of the last challenge will get to pick their challenge.

Because I'm so late, I'm going to ask that the bruschimania from Prodigy make the selection with or without the consultation of his teammates within 24 hours (or 11pm EST Thursday)

This will still offer each team some choice over what they do.

Once this is declared in this thread, both teams may begin.

So here's the basics of the challenge.

Your team is to go back in time with your laptops. (IE you have current technology) You'll have a year, a city, and a sport. In each city, the respective league is putting on their world championship. Both of these never had a logo created or merchandise made, so you need to develop a logo, a championship shirt, and anything else you'd like to include.

Although some of these are multi-city, multi-game championships, I'm going to ask that you suspend you're knowledge of this and pretend its a one-game playoff in a predetermined city, like the Super Bowl

The designs must fit the era they are designed in, so the people of that time will not think they are too out of place. Fonts, Imagry...Take that however you wish. If you use a font that was designed in 1972 for the 1911 design, you won't be docked points as long as the font fits that era.

Host City elements are encouraged, but not necessary.

The Logo must contain the year, city, in addition to any league logos and language you think is appropriate. (NFL SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS)

You must present two championship shirts, one with each team. Just like how two Super Bowl shirts are designed.

This one is WIDE open, so make the board proud.

Here are the options:

Set 1

1976 NBA Finals in San Francisco

Teams: Boston Celtics & Milwaukee Bucks

or

1936 NFL Championship in New York City

Teams: Green Bay Packers & Boston Redskins

Set 2

1926 MLB World Series in Chicago

Teams: St. Louis Cardinals & New York Yankees

or

1985 Stanley Cup in Toronto

Teams: Edmonton Oilers & Philadelphia Flyers

This one is going to take some research in addition to the design so you'll have 12 days from tomorrow night, or Tuesday, September 16th by 11pm EST. That's TWO weekends...use them wisely.

Good Luck!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh...and if bruschimania can't choose, someone else from Prodigy must do so by the deadline. Remember just chose Set 1 or 2...the two options are to be discussed as a team.

If no post is made by 11pm, Optimus can choose.

I can, and I will choose. We will take Set 1.

So, just so no one gets it mistaken, there needs to be at least 3 items... the general game logo, and the two shirts, right?

Correct.

I'll let GFB update any team changes...that's not my call to make. All I know is I got a PM asking what the delay was and I was late, so I got this posted so both teams can start.

Sorry I didn't realize Prodigy was down 2 members. I'm sure there will be a move to make the teams even.

If you want to discuss things as a team, please do. I'd recommend not doing any concepts however until GFB makes a decision on who to move over to Optimus (if anyone). I don't think discussions would hinder anyone if they moved, but doing a design for one team and then moving to another wouldn't be fair.

If he hasn't decided, I will do so tomorrow night in the interests of keeping everything moving along. You still have two extra days on this one so there is plenty of time.

Just to add to this... Some of the judges and other members, including me, have submitted challenge ideas to Matt during the whole process. I believe that he asked us to run those challenges while he's back to school. I will be running challenge 8, just as Mac has run #6 and Pat, #7.

Now decisions being made on how the contest is run is ultimately Matt's choice. I don't know when he'll be back but I believe that if there is a team down by two, for now it seems like it's tough luck. I'd say that we'd pretty soon need to bring this to personal challenges, where if an individual doesn't submit a final entry, he's booted out automatically. But again, it's Matt's call.

Onto this challenge, it is somewhat similar to mine, so I won't say anything more, but it'll be very interesting to see how you will come up with an old looking logo.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• 2 weeks later...

Optimus presents the logo for the 1926 MLB Word Series in Chicago, Illinois at Wrigley Field. Accompanying the logo is the "World Champion" t-shirt to be awarded to the victor.

After some research, an the best possible effort was made to conform the logo and the elements of all designs to the period of the roaring 20's in the United States. The goal for the logo was to be a simple design with bold and elegant artwork that would be practical for the era. The logo is reminiscent of the digital scoreboard currently at Wrigley Field in Chicago, which was designed with the 1926 World Series logo in mind- a lasting mark from the event.

The Championship t-shirt stays in flow with the logo with the addition of the team logos during that era.

challenge7_one.jpg

challenge7_two.jpg

challenge7_three.jpg

challenge7_four.jpg

On behalf of Prodigy, I present the logo for the 1936 NFL Championship.

Challenge7Presentation1.png

Here is the logo for the game. It resembles the Statue of Liberty, an iconic symbol of New York and the USA as a whole, while staying simple and classic. We also see the logo as a patch on the uniforms of the competing teams.

Challenge7Presentation2.png

Here are t-shirts for the winning team. They tie in the logo, but still are simple enough for many to be produced cheaply.

oBIgzrL.png

I have to say that I am very impressed with both entries. I think that you both nailed the era you were to work in. That being said, here's a small breakdown...

Optimus

While the colors seem a bit too bright for my taste (maybe because of my monitor), I really feel the '20s vibe through the design. The angular features combined with the gentle curves are very pleasing to the eye. Stars are also a nice touch and gives a touch of patriotism to the logo.

Championship jerseys are clean and simple. The logo lends itself well for the purpose.

Prodigy

Again, the logo fits well within the era. It's a nice nod to the Statue of Liberty, lines are clean and the text is easy to read. My only beef would be with the color, as I can't see any apparent connection with either the city nor the NFL.

Jerseys look good as well, although I don't think that the logo should've been put underneath the champions, especially since you've already used the upper part of it on the jersey.

Verdict

It's hard to make a decision since they are both so great. I will restrain from making a decision right now, but if I need to be the tie-breaker, then so be it. Paet, let me know...

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Both teams did a great job on this, with what little participation they received.

I really like how Optimus' logo ties in to Wrigley Field and the whole feel of old time baseball. The font choices feel too modern/clean to me, I would have liked to see an art deco type font used and really spruce it up. The t-shirt images are nice, but I notice the kerning could have used some special care, as in that age, they would have been hand-lettered and attention to that detail would have been there. I'm talking about the space between the W and O in both instances of the word "WORLD"

All in all, a nice effort for Optimus.

Prodigy's logo is very good, works well with the locale. My only real gripe is with the multiple colors on the t-shirt design and that I wouldn't have included the game logo after already altering it to match the team. Seems kinda redundant, but that's minor. I like this package too much to give that a big knock.

Prodigy gets my vote on the strength of their logo.

My only beef would be with the color, as I can't see any apparent connection with either the city nor the NFL.

The colors of Orange and Blue have long been connected to the City of New York. This is a result of the city's early incarnation as a Dutch fur-trading post and subsequent existance as New Amsterdam (Orange and Blue have historically been linked to the Netherlands, as they are the colors associated with the House of Orange-Nassau).

My only beef would be with the color, as I can't see any apparent connection with either the city nor the NFL.

The colors of Orange and Blue have long been connected to the City of New York. This is a result of the city's early incarnation as a Dutch fur-trading post and subsequent existance as New Amsterdam (Orange and Blue have historically been linked to the Netherlands, as they are the colors associated with the House of Orange-Nassau).

Well, I learned something today!

Well, there will be 7 left after this challenge, and in the Apprentice TV show, they go solo with the final 4 or 5. By my estimation, there should be at least 2 more team challenges, unless the lack of activity leads them to just pursue a winner for the sake of ending it, but I feel that would be a little cheap.

There have been 2 members by now who haven't participated in... what? a month now?, one on each team, who should be axed, regardless of who wins. That's absolutely ridiculous.

I just think that the team thing, it's not to the point where it's conducive anymore... especially if Prodigy wins again, which barring another vote in the next 20 minutes, they will.

There have been 2 members by now who haven't participated in... what? a month now?, one on each team, who should be axed, regardless of who wins. That's absolutely ridiculous.

I just think that the team thing, it's not to the point where it's conducive anymore... especially if Prodigy wins again, which barring another vote in the next 20 minutes, they will.

Well, that's true. The individual element in the actual show is under the assumption that one winner will emerge out of a final 4 or 5, but you could still do single-person challenges with week-by-week eliminations... in fact, I would highly recommend that. So the remaining 7 do individual challenges, which is narrowed to 5 in a week (two fired), then 3 (two fired), and then 1 (two fired/one hired). Alternately, they could fire one at a time but with individual challenges instead of teams.

Archived