Ottawa MLS Bid - and Bid Logo - Unveiled

Brian in Boston

Yeah, this is great. A credit crunch, unemployment. And you are going to build a stadium, with what> Here's hoping Ottawa and other cities are smart and say "you pay for it you can build it."

As far as the MLS we need the following:

Miami

Tampa Bay

Portland

Seattle

Vancouver

St. Louis

Philadelphia

Minnesota

That would restore balance in the universe. Why?

Portland, Seattle and Vancouver had not only had a tremendous rivalry in the NASL. Not only that, they had a great, great fans. Seattle always gave the Cosmos trouble.

Tampa Bay - The Rowdies were loved.

St. Louis - Soccer city. The only city to continuously have a team (well kinda, sorta) through the lean years in the NASL. Bring back the St. Louis Stars

Philly and Minnesota - again, two good soccer cities which had solid followings (Philly - the Atoms and Minny the Kicks).

'nuff said.

Yeah, this is great. A credit crunch, unemployment. And you are going to build a stadium, with what> Here's hoping Ottawa and other cities are smart and say "you pay for it you can build it."

Miami

Tampa Bay

Portland

Seattle

Vancouver

St. Louis

Philadelphia

Minnesota

Portland, Seattle and Vancouver had not only had a tremendous rivalry in the NASL. Not only that, they had a great, great fans. Seattle always gave the Cosmos trouble.

St. Louis - Soccer city. The only city to continuously have a team (well kinda, sorta) through the lean years in the NASL. Bring back the St. Louis Stars

Philly and Minnesota - again, two good soccer cities which had solid followings (Philly - the Atoms and Minny the Kicks).

'nuff said.

Miami only loves the Dolphins, that's pretty clear. It's a one-fish town.

Tampa Bay was probably waiting to be captivated by soccer again. Then along came the Cyberbat logo and I'm sure they all laughed their asses off and decided to go to USF football games instead.

I'd take Vancouver over Portland. Toronto needs a rival and it would allow more Canadian development.

St. Louis...if this is such a good soccer town, why does it keep getting passed over. What, exactly, are the issues here?

Philadelphia, same as St. Louis. Shouldn't they have been charter cities?

Minnesota. I'm on the fence there.

Ottawa screws up CFL teams so I sure hope they don't get an MLS team.

edit: I will admit though, that is a nice logo and a wicked looking stadium.

To be fair though the city didn't ruin the Renegades, the attendance was fine, I thought it had alot more to do with the owners...

Hi, how are you?

If you'd seen their stadium, Stade Saputo, you'd be impressed.

I saw it in person earlier in the month. It is quite nice. If they can get the grass issues figured out, that's a fantastic venue.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Miami

Tampa Bay

Portland

Seattle

Vancouver

St. Louis

Philadelphia

Minnesota

'nuff said.

St. Louis...if this is such a good soccer town, why does it keep getting passed over. What, exactly, are the issues here?

If only we knew. We've always had the tradition and fanbase.

We got a dedicated owner and he got a great stadium plan approved. He had the money MLS wanted We were all set to go.

But then some bigger markets and richer owners became interested, so suddenly they didn't care about soccer-specific stadiums and they wanted more money.

Then they picked Seattle and Philly.

Now our guy found the extra investors. He's got the money and the stadium plans remain in place (all it's ever needed was the go ahead from the MLS).

I've grown continually bitter of the MLS for passing us over, but if they do it again, I'll be fuming.

For the record, the logo unveiled at yesterday's press conference is for the bid. Nobody connected to the effort has confirmed that it would be used by the actual franchise should Ottawa-Gatineau land the team. In fact, media outlets - including the Canadian Press - have reported that Melnyk indicated "... a name for Ottawa's team, its logo and colours would be determined only after a successful bid."

On another subject related to the Ottawa MLS bid, no development is allowed for at least a year on the site that Melnyk has chosen for his proposed stadium. The location is on the Carp River flood plain, an area under a provincially imposed development ban.

Anyway, Montreal has to be a lock. Great fan support, nice venue, ready ownership...

Couldn't agree with you more. If you'd seen their stadium, Stade Saputo, you'd be impressed. Plus they are willing to expand the stadium if and when they do get an MLS franchise.

Great signature, Georges, and I agree with you, I wish I was back in Montreal (lived in the Plateau a few years back).

Miami

Tampa Bay

Portland

Seattle

Vancouver

St. Louis

Philadelphia

Minnesota

I, for one, am amazed that Phoenix has never been in the running for an MLS club, especially now with University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.

CCSLC signature.png

For the record, the logo unveiled at yesterday's press conference is for the bid. Nobody connected to the effort has confirmed that it would be used by the actual franchise should Ottawa-Gatineau land the team. In fact, media outlets - including the Canadian Press - have reported that Melnyk indicated "... a name for Ottawa's team, its logo and colours would be determined only after a successful bid."

On another subject related to the Ottawa MLS bid, no development is allowed for at least a year on the site that Melnyk has chosen for his proposed stadium. The location is on the Carp River flood plain, an area under a provincially imposed development ban.

They had issues with the Carp River when they were building the Palladium as well. They managed to work through those problems so I'm sure they can do it again. It's such a stupid issue though. I mean the Carp River is barely a creek.

Archived