Portland Oregon baseball team concept

tampatony21

I think the heron might be the most logical name for a couple reasons. First, you cannot use the Beavers because of not only the Triple A following but also the College following of the Oregon State Beavers. If they choose Beavers, can you image how much money they would lose in merchandise sales and confusion might happen because most people already have some type of beavers gear. In addition, I think you have to use Portland and not Oregon for the name. Portland I think focuses on where the team would/will be played and the fact that Portland is the ones really pulling for a MLB Franchise. I think if you use Oregon, it does not grasp the concept for the team. Therefore, as I continue to do more research on this for my project I think I am coming to this:

Portland Herons- Colors: Dark Blue, Yellow, and possibly a light blue

Portland Lumberjacks- Colors: Green, Orange, and some type of Blue

Portland Pioneers- Colors: Black, Red, and orange

That is what I have so far. Please let me know what you think and what I might want to change. Again, I really appreciate the help and feedback you guys are giving me. If someone can do some concepts of what their hats and uniforms might look like I would greatly appreciate it. I would try, but I have not idea how to even start making uniforms and hats. Again thank you all for the input.

Again, the Lumberjacks is currently in use by the MLL lacrosse club. Nix that name.

Lumberjax is used by the lacrosse team. I like Lumberjacks as a baseball name, and having Jacks be a shortened version. Its been awhile, but plenty of cities have had multiple sports with the same name. its not unheard of, and it is only lacrosse(apologies to the lacrosse fans). i really think a black and red lumberjacks concept would be cool to see.

IMHO, I like the major-league teams who use the names of the city's old minor-league team to pay homage to that history:

EXAMPLES:

Milwaukee Brewers

Los Angeles Angels

San Diego Padres

Florida (well, Miami anyway) Marlins

Therefore, I think the highest level of baseball in Portland should ALWAYS be called the Portland Beavers (which is why the Portland Rockies failed).

Who's with me?

You forgot the Baltimore Orioles were in the International League until 1953, then in '54 the transplanted St. Louis Browns became the Orioles. Continuity. Portland should definitely be the BEAVERS. They could have Jerry Mathers be their pitchman.

We don't need any more kookie, cutesie, "in fashion" singular team names. Enough already.

• 2 weeks later...
Personally, I think the scheme they've got now would place them in the top 5 among MLB clubs:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

But if you must lose the traditional name, I'd look to "Herons," the official bird of the city of Portland. Would lend itself to a nice blue and gray color scheme as well.

I agree. when did they stop wearing the cluttered "beaver P" caps? i thought the only cap with a stand alone P was the white alternate.....I have been playing with a PDX baseball concept for years using Lookouts, for the abundance of fire lookouts in oregon. i was using a forest/olive/gold palette.

I believe it's photoshopped to show the little change that could be made to make this set damn near perfect.

Yes, it was. Sorry, I should have made that clear. It's my photoshop job, replacing the cluttered primary cap logo with the beautiful logo from their alternate cap.

If you're studying sports marketing shouldn't you come up with your own ideas for this project?

True, but marketing also involves surveying and gathering information from advisers and fans.

For what it's worth, some of the "surveying and gathering information" has been done for you. The Beavers thought about changing their name before this past season, and put four new names up for a vote - some tongue-in-cheek, some not.

pbeavers.jpg

"Beavers" won the vote. In a landslide.

Personally, I really love that little Sockeye - I'm an absolute sucker for mascot logos.

Personally, I think the scheme they've got now would place them in the top 5 among MLB clubs:

2468364350_869b0909d1_o.jpg

But if you must lose the traditional name, I'd look to "Herons," the official bird of the city of Portland. Would lend itself to a nice blue and gray color scheme as well.

I agree. when did they stop wearing the cluttered "beaver P" caps? i thought the only cap with a stand alone P was the white alternate.....I have been playing with a PDX baseball concept for years using Lookouts, for the abundance of fire lookouts in oregon. i was using a forest/olive/gold palette.

I believe it's photoshopped to show the little change that could be made to make this set damn near perfect.

Yes, it was. Sorry, I should have made that clear. It's my photoshop job, replacing the cluttered primary cap logo with the beautiful logo from their alternate cap.

If you're studying sports marketing shouldn't you come up with your own ideas for this project?

True, but marketing also involves surveying and gathering information from advisers and fans.

For what it's worth, some of the "surveying and gathering information" has been done for you. The Beavers thought about changing their name before this past season, and put four new names up for a vote - some tongue-in-cheek, some not.

pbeavers.jpg

"Beavers" won the vote. In a landslide.

Personally, I really love that little Sockeye - I'm an absolute sucker for mascot logos.

Wet Sox? Give them credit for thinking outside the box on that one.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Yeah, that was the "tongue-in-cheek" one. Don't know what they would have done had that one, but the others could well have been shaped into a solid minor-league identity.

Still, very glad Portland baseball fans took the contest seriously, and voted to keep them the Beavers.

My idea/concept would be the Portland Meadowlarks, as the meadowlark is the state bird of Oregon, and Portland is one of the biggest and well known cities in Oregon. I'd use a combination of colors similar to that of an actual meadowlark, not unlike what the Baltimore franchise has done with the Orioles.

If Meadowlarks is too long, then it could be shortened to just Larks.

My idea/concept would be the Portland Meadowlarks, as the meadowlark is the state bird of Oregon, and Portland is one of the biggest and well known cities in Oregon. I'd use a combination of colors similar to that of an actual meadowlark, not unlike what the Baltimore franchise has done with the Orioles.

If Meadowlarks is too long, then it could be shortened to just Larks.

The Western Meadowlark is also the state bird for Kansas, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, and North Dakota, so it doesn't really say "Oregon".

Archived