THE APPRENTICE: Challenge 9

pollux

Since we haven't heard from Matty in a while, I'll take charge of this contest so that we can see a winner! If anyone objects to this, then we'll agree to disagree :)

The remaining participants are:

• ColaCock
  • bruschimania
  • maz
  • chestnutz6
  • -(dp)-

Remember, this is now an individual challenge.

Challenge 9 - Political candidacy logo

It's that time of the year! Actually, that time every four years... You will be a candidate for the presidency of the United States of America in 2012, and you need to brand yourself. This logo will be used on merchandise and ads and whatnot.

If you do not want to use your real name, that's fine. Let's just keep this thing clear of all current (and future) possible candidates.

Required elements

Logo for your campaign

Slogan

Deadlines

Every participant must turn in their work before Wednesday, October 15th, 2008, 11:59PM EDT. Any participant who either turn in their work after the deadline or do not turn in anything will automatically be fired.

Voting will last from Thursday, October 16th, 2008, 12:00AM EDT until Thursday, October 16th, 2008, 11:59PM EDT. That's a one day window.

The board meeting will be held on Friday and I should announce the results during the afternoon, as well as the next challenge.

Voting procedure

In order to bring more attention for the last rounds of the Apprentice, voting will be open to any member of this community who has more than 500 posts and has been around here for at least six months. A brief summary of strong and weak points are required for each entry. The verdict from each judge will have the top three entries seeded. Any judge who does not comply with this will see their vote nullified.

The participant with the less votes will be asked to select two other participants to the Board room and everyone will have a chance to plead their case.

Hopefully this will bring a bit more enthusiasm to the remaining challenges.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see the new turn in the challenge finally taking place, it's just unfortunate that we observers of the process will not be able to see the development of the task first hand, as we did with all other challenges. But, it will make the reveals much more surprising. :)

Can this thread be stickied?

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Hate to sound like a purist here, but shouldn't this event (especially if it's the final event) be about sports logos? The other 8 challenges have been... one was kind of loosely sports-related, and that was Challenge 6 (Mac's challenge coin), but even that was about a sports organization. (Challenge 1, also, was about our companies' names and logos, which is obviously germane to the competition.) A political thing doesn't really seem to make sense to me; after all, it was initially thought that there would be at least a couple completely new "expansion team" designs, and so far there's only been two (Challenge 2 and Challenge 8). It just seems that the contest needs a better send-off than that.

Sorry, rant over. The Office is almost back from commercial.

I actually like this challenge idea. I never got the impression that all of the challenges would all be sports-related, so it is interesting to me and a change of pace. I also don't think this will be the final event unless only 2 people turn in submissions.

*sigh*... this event may be my downfall...

EDIT: For clarification, its not the content of the challenge I consider to be my downfall, I think its a good challenge, its the fact that im now on my own and armed with nothing more than MS Paint.

(Yeah, I could download free vector software, but I have no experience with vector software at all, and have only a couple days to learn it well enough to make a logo and presentation good enough to surpass my competition...itd just be a waste of time going that route)

oBIgzrL.png

The idea behind this was that as a designer, you'd have to design a lot more things than only sports logos.

You know, broaden your horizons...

Of all events left, there is another one that isn't sports related. But I think that overall, 3 out of 13 won't be too much to ask for.

There have been other long-term design contests held here that had non-sports events.

You challenge yourself and learn as a designer when you are forced to step outside your comfort zone.

Logolympiad had too many events for them all to be sports logos. This seemed to be different... I mean, I can see why you would want to assign non-sports challenges. I just thought it was weird because a sports-related precedent has been set over the past months, unlike Logolympiad which stated outright that not all challenges would be sports related. You're comparing apples and oranges to compare this to other long-term contests.

So just to clarify...we can use our name or any other name that isn't at least an obvious future presidential candidate or highly ranked politician? My last name is probably one of the most famed names in political history...so that is okay to use, correct?

So just to clarify...we can use our name or any other name that isn't at least an obvious future presidential candidate or highly ranked politician? My last name is probably one of the most famed names in political history...so that is okay to use, correct?

Correct.

Last names can be reused, obviously. But I don't want to see something for Clinton or Palin, for example.

The idea behind using someone else's last name is to give an option to those who don't want to divulge their last name on the boards.

EDIT: For clarification, its not the content of the challenge I consider to be my downfall, I think its a good challenge, its the fact that im now on my own and armed with nothing more than MS Paint.

(Yeah, I could download free vector software, but I have no experience with vector software at all, and have only a couple days to learn it well enough to make a logo and presentation good enough to surpass my competition...itd just be a waste of time going that route)

You could get a 30 day free trail of Photoshop ...

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

There's also supposed to be a commemorative signature for the five finalists... I just thought I'd mention that from the original thread.

Sorry, I'll butt out now. I look forward to seeing everyone's submissions.

Since I've organized a coup d'état, I haven't had much time to work on anything. I'll try to whip something up for the Final 5, but no guarantees whatsoever.

And everyone learns Photoshop in a day...

There's also supposed to be a commemorative signature for the five finalists... I just thought I'd mention that from the original thread.

Since I've organized a coup d'état, I haven't had much time to work on anything. I'll try to whip something up for the Final 5, but no guarantees whatsoever.

Photoshop is not a vector program either.

Photoshop is not a vector program either.

Vector isn't required to design either. The initial point was that he didn't have time to learn Illustrator- or vector based art. Instead, he was suggesting to use Photoshop which is fairly easy (in my opinion) to learn the basics and use. When you strip it down, it is like a juiced up MS Paint.

Archived