THE APPRENTICE: Challenge 9

pollux

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Understood devin.

So, voting can begin now right?

Yes.

It sucks though that we have 2 automatic DQs.

Vote by seeding the entries, and giving a small appreciation of each design (mandatory if you want your vote to count).

Voting will end Friday, October 17th, 11:59PM EDT.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Understood devin.

So, voting can begin now right?

Yes.

It sucks though that we have 2 automatic DQs. Since I had three more rounds already planned, I'd really like to have them all done.

So here's what we'll do.

Vote by seeding the entries, and giving a small appreciation of each design (mandatory if you want your vote to count).

The result will then be compiled along with the next two challenges. Therefore there will be no DQ for this round nor the next round. Tallying up results from Challenges 9, 10, and 11 will allow this contest to have the best two candidates for the final round. It also gives a chance to everyone left as the next two challenges come back to sports logos.

I'll post Challenge 10 during the day, and will cast my vote a bit later.

Since there will be no DQ this round, voting will end Friday, October 17th, 11:59PM EDT.

If that is the case, I will probably be dropping out after next round- this contest has just really pushed its limits time wise and another month is just ridiculous in my opinion, especially entering the holidays. That also makes this current challenge a "waste", if you will, when time and effort was put into it with expectations of moving forward in the contest. Again, the rules posted at the beginning of this challenge stated clearly that if entries were not given- there would be a disqualification and then the voting would carry on. Making last minute decisions AFTER an entry period has ended because it didn't align with your hopes just doesn't seem fair to me as a contestant I suppose.

As of Tuesday, this contest has been going for 5 months.

If that is the case, I will probably be dropping out after next round- this contest has just really pushed its limits time wise and another month is just ridiculous in my opinion, especially entering the holidays. That also makes this current challenge a "waste", if you will, when time and effort was put into it with expectations of moving forward in the contest. Again, the rules posted at the beginning of this challenge stated clearly that if entries were not given- there would be a disqualification and then the voting would carry on. Making last minute decisions AFTER an entry period has ended because it didn't align with your hopes just doesn't seem fair to me as a contestant I suppose.

As of Tuesday, this contest has been going for 5 months.

Keep in mind I'm trying to bail out Matty here...

completely agree with cola. Let's just have a vote to eliminate someone and next round will be the finals

OK. Since I have never seen the Apprentice, how is this working? Does the contestant with the lowest vote count automatically fired or does he bring the other two in the board room?

So two DQs and a vote. Final challenge will be posted after.

Four times IHL Nielson Cup Champions - Montréal Shamrocks (2008-2009 // 2009-2010 // 2012-2013 // 2014-2015)

Five times TNFF Confederation Cup Champions - Yellowknife Eagles (2009 CC VI // 2010 CC VII // 2015 CC XII // 2017 CC XIV // 2018 CC XV)

Waldrop - The star and stripes look good. I also like the use of just the last name. It gives the sense that the candidate is so well known he doesn't need a distinguishing first name. It's similar to the late Paul Wellstone's identity package of "Wellstone!". Simple and effective. The "one vote at a time" slogan conjurs a feeling of many small drops causing a wave of change (which plays on the name). I would have liked that connection to be a little more obvious, however. The stripes on the buttons are pretty straight. With the main logo it there is an obvious wave to it that is missing on the campaign buttons. I think you would've been better served making the stripes wave more rather than just cropping the existing logo to the button.

Adam Vance - The star with the hidden initials is a fantastic idea. The blue portions of the star look a little long so the star isn't perfectly equilateral. I think a thin outline around the figure to emphasize the star-ness of the logo is also needed. Right now it kinda looks like an "AV Star" and kinda looks like a compass (the geometry/seafaring kind). That ambiguity hurts the design a bit. The slogan works, but isn't inspired. I think it could be improved if you dropped the middle part so it says "The future is clear and the future is here."

Kennedy - The chosen typeface is standard and the an extremely safe choice, but it's nothing I haven't seen before. Using the stem of the K as a flag pole is nice. The slogan, "Pushing for Progess" is short and sweet, exactly what a slogan should be. Overall, the primary parts of your campaign identity are simple and strong, but also safe and standard. Where your identity stands out is the alternate K-flag icon on the button and t-shirt. It's bold and you immediately upon seeing the inital you know who it is. In my opinion, that letter is what makes this package stand out.

All three entries are good especially considering they were put together in a week. However, like the fictional offices you are running for there can be only one winner. Here are my rankings:

1. Kennedy

2. Waldrop

3. Vance

On a more general note, I am a little disappointed everyone went with the red, white, and blue scheme. I would've loved to see someone go out there and use a non-traditional color to make themselves stand out more.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Waldrop - The logo looks clean and it's really simple. I would've liked the star to be a bit more bold, just like the waves that you have used. The white space in the space seems to be a bit too much. The slogan fits the waves really well, like each vote can add some power to the movement.

Vance - Very clever to have the star being represented by both initials. The problem that I see here is that my eyes are drawn to the red V, and unfortunately it's pointing down. But I really like the mark in itself, it can be a very recognizable brand without having anything else with it. The slogan is a bit too long for my taste, and it is a bit difficult to read under the logo.

Kennedy - Standard and clean seem to fit this a lot. I like that the name is also used as the logo. I'm not sold on the flag floating to the left. I understand that it would've been hard to append it to the Y, but maybe a different font would've done the desired effect. I like the slogan though. Very simple and effective.

My rankings:

1- Waldrop

2- Vance

3- Kennedy

Voting

Voting will end on Friday, October 17th, 11:59PM EDT.

I'm not sold on the flag floating to the left. I understand that it would've been hard to append it to the Y, but maybe a different font would've done the desired effect.

Not sure if we are allowed to question the responses, if not then I will delete this, but why exactly would you think that placing the flag to the right would help my design at all- it kind of goes against the explanation and idea behind my design. The design is moving forward...having a flag facing the opposite direction would be aesthetically incorrect in my opinion. Just curious if you read the reasoning behind the design and thought about that, that's all.

I'm not sold on the flag floating to the left. I understand that it would've been hard to append it to the Y, but maybe a different font would've done the desired effect.

Not sure if we are allowed to question the responses, if not then I will delete this, but why exactly would you think that placing the flag to the right would help my design at all- it kind of goes against the explanation and idea behind my design. The design is moving forward...having a flag facing the opposite direction would be aesthetically incorrect in my opinion. Just curious if you read the reasoning behind the design and thought about that, that's all.

No problem with you questioning the responses. Maybe my review wasn't clear enough or my english is simply failing to explain what I meant.

I like the flag waving to show movement. But I'd rather see a normal flag waving to the right (attached on the left) than a mirrored version waving to the left. I believe the flag should've been displayed normal.

The position of the flag on the pole is usually as you depict it. However I think this is a situation where you could have distorted the reality and switch the way the flag is tied to the pole (by the end of the flag instead of the left). If you wanted to keep that, it could've been tied to the Y.

To me, having the flag not mirrored was more important than the direction of the wind.

Also, I think a separate voting thread with "VOTING THREAD" in the title may have been more beneficial to this challenge...also might be a good idea to unsticky the voting thread if there was one created. Submissions could be posted at the top. Just an idea because I think many could ignore the thread or have no idea it is time to vote...since we have only had 2 votes so far within the 24 hour window that only has 10 hours left.

1. Kennedy- Overall just comes off as the most professional and complete design. Really like the flag design.

2. Vance- I'm a fan of the "VA" star and darker bolder colors.

3. Waldrop- Not bad, just a bit generic for my tastes. The kerning on "2012" seems off too.

Also, I think a separate voting thread with "VOTING THREAD" in the title may have been more beneficial to this challenge...also might be a good idea to unsticky the voting thread if there was one created. Submissions could be posted at the top. Just an idea because I think many could ignore the thread or have no idea it is time to vote...since we have only had 2 votes so far within the 24 hour window that only has 10 hours left.

doesn't voting end tomorrow? I'll vote...

So this is open to anyone? Even former competitors?

If so, heres mine.

1. Adam Vance - Darker colors and AVStar logo are both strong and unique. Its a strong, unique, singular, recognizable logo. Like Obama's O.

2. Kennedy - Its a good strong logo. Looks like a presidential ad. My only problem is how the flag looks on it, how its not too imaginative, and it reminds me a bit of the Bush'04 logo.

3. Its just way too...i dunno... thin. It doesnt seem to me like it would stand out, or be recognizable. It also looks too generic to me.

Between 2 and 3 its close, but 1 is a step ahead of the rest.

oBIgzrL.png

doesn't voting end tomorrow? I'll vote...

Yes, voting is up until tomorrow night. At least to get some more votes in.

Now I understand that the initial voting period was to be only for a day, but since we have lost two contestants this round only, I think one more day of voting won't be too much.

At least you guys got way more voter participation than the previous 5 challenges.

:censored: 15 minutes. :)

Let me say that I wasn't really wowed by any of these and there's nothing personal here.

1. Kennedy. This was largely, and I mean largely, on font. I still don't particularly like yours, it's really generic, and reminds me a ton of Bush/Cheney '04, but both others used yucky thin fonts while yours is at least attention-grabbing and solid. And I know it's hard to do otherwise but the backwards flag was a awkward at best. Also, I would have liked to see more than 6 stars. But aside from that, you have a very strong one-letter logo that looks really nice on the applications you have provided. The short and sweet slogan is great and works great. No real holes here, which in this challenge is enough to get you a first place finish in my book.

2. Waldrop. Thinness! I do like the simple star on curves. I think they could be more defined but it's a nice change. Is it just me or is the star off-center from its outlines(the white part seems too high)? It almost looks like it should be a drop shadow but it is aligned in the middle vertically so I don't think it is supposed to be. My eyes could be deceiving me, but either way that outline needs to be thicker. The text also is to thin and plain. Doesn't stand out. Too circl-y for me. I think you should have at least used bold for the heading. I appreciate how you showed bumper stickers. Though on the lower one, the text needs to be lower and on the white button that looks way off-center. Overall a nice package but this could have been a lot better.

3. Vance. It's nice, for a website. The text, no offense, sucks. Way too thin all-around, bland, blends in. I think you and Waldrop should have balanced those tiny fonts with a bolder one like Kennedy's, but you should have at least used the bold feature! And I get the logo idea, however to me it looks like a starfish in a poncho. Not feeling it. With it and the non-spaced text though, it seems like a nice website logo. on everything from the secondary layout down, the text is absolutely dominated and hardly noticeable. I'm not going to notice you or think of you as a serious candidate based on how much attention you draw to yourself. The slogan is too long and insignificant. Again, a nice idea, but execution and some basic principles need to be started over.

One last thing. This year we have all mostly been blown away by the innovative campaign identity of Barack Obama. He introduced new colors, typestyles, and logo, well, he completely blew away any past campaign logo ideas we have ever seen with, well, and actual logo. The significance and relevance to this challenge of his whole package is not capable of being put into words in my mind. I was really hoping people would think of this and follow his lead. However, I think instead of that we have missed an absolutely crucial opportunity and really stepped back in time, not forward and that surprises me. (Waldrop and Vance this might have partially been some your intention, I can sort of see that, but I don't feel it was enough)

Hope I wasn't too harsh ^_^

Voting results:

Waldrop - 11 points

Kennedy - 10 points

Vance - 9 points

Therefore, chestnutz6, you're fired!

Final challenge coming up shortly.

Archived