Cleveland State considers a new name and a new football team

PittsburghSucks

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2008/10/cl...ersity_con.html

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland State University is considering a name change, perhaps to something like the University of Cleveland. And the urban university is also thinking about adding football for the first time to its list of varsity sports.

During today's university convocation, President Michael Schwartz said in his "State of the University" address he wants a blue ribbon panel to give him a recommendation on the football team before July 1 when he is scheduled to retire. He also said the program will have to be structured to pay for itself.

Schwartz said adding football is part of a continuing effort to make CSU into a more residential campus by beefing up student life.

The recommendation on changing the university's name also is expected before Schwartz retires.

He said that ever since he became president seven years ago, people in the community have suggested that he consider changing the name of the university. Schwartz said he brushed aside those suggestions, believing there were more important issues facing CSU.

However, in reflecting on the university's progress, he said the time may be right to "tie a ribbon around the old Cleveland State University, set it aside with gratitude for all that it has done and all that it has provided, and to realize that the direction is different, it is new and it is more promising than ever."

Clevelandcavaliersfirstlogo.gif Cleveland Cavaliers Curent Logo.png Cavs New Logo 2017-18.jpg

However, in reflecting on the university's progress, he said the time may be right to "tie a heavy chain attached to a concrete anchor ribbon around the neck of the old Cleveland State University, throw it into Lake Erie to sleep with the fishes next to the Cleveland Barons and the original Cleveland Browns set it aside with gratitude for all that it has done and all that it has provided, and to sell out like so many colleges and universities with big-time athletic programs have done before us realize that the direction is different, it is new and it is more promising than ever."

CCSLC signature.png

Hmmm... University of Cleveland does make sense in good way. I know that fellow Horizon League members Wisconsin-Milwaukee and Wisconsin-Green Bay tend to be known as Milwaukee and Green Bay respectively.

As for football, I have to assume that they could be an FCS program because some of the fellow schools are at that level (Youngstown State in the Missouri Valley along with both Butler and Valpo in the Pioneer League).

Will they be playing at Cleveland Browns Stadium? That's the only stadium I know of that could be the home of Cleveland State/University of Cleveland.

As the story said considering adding football and doing so to make it more of a residential campus, I am not sure that playing off campus at an NFL stadium manages that goal. They haven't said they are in the exploratory phase.

Football has created more of a campus buzz recently at schools, like South Florida, but RJS is about 8-10 miles from campus. Help me out Tampa guys, Fletcher runs into Dale Mabry, but I don't remember the distance.

Football has created more of a campus buzz recently at schools, like South Florida, but RJS is about 8-10 miles from campus. Help me out Tampa guys, Fletcher runs into Dale Mabry, but I don't remember the distance.

Dale Mabry is about 4 miles from campus on Fletcher. I do know however that the quickest drive to RayJay is 275 south to MLK and MLK over to the stadium

Good for Cleveland State. There's been a similar push at my alma mater (on both fronts) for a few years, but our current chancellor (much like the one that preceded him) has made it clear that he only cares about how the university can benefit him, not the other way around.

But if the U. Cleveland football team becomes a reality, maybe it'll finally be the kick in the arse UWM needs to stop blaming Madison for our second-class status and do something right for a change. Of course it'll come at the expense of showing how far behind the curve our supposedly "progressive and forward thinking" administration really is.

Archived