Sports movies

raysox

They worked hard on authenticity for that one - Gehrig was a lefty, and Gary Cooper a righty, so they made backwards uniforms when shooting him batting and flipped the negative.

That's dedication.

Billy Crystal did the same thing for Whitey Ford in *61. Must be a Yankee thing.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, Anthony Michael Hall was a pretty good choice to play Whitey.

Did anyone ever make uniform diagrams for Any Given Sunday / The Replacements / The Game Plan teams?

The Replacements' costume design sketches are on the film's website, along with this little note:

Ohanneson?s biggest challenge was designing uniforms for the Sentinels and five other fictitious pro teams in an imaginary league. "We had to avoid any color combinations that actually exist in the NFL," she notes, "not only now but for the last 10 years as well because of the copyright laws. I orchestrated the colors with Dan Bishop, our production designer, every little detail right down to the logos."

And yet they were able to get away with references to "All-Pro" and the Super Bowl....

I TOOK MY 2 DAUGHTERS AND MY 2 NIECES TO HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3

EAST HIGH WAS WEARING RED WEST HIGH WAS WEARING BLUE IN THE BASKETBALL GAME

I IMMEDIATELY THOUGHT THAT

you know what man i like you, wanna know why

CUZ I LOVE CAPS LOCK TOO!!!!!!!

The movie about Vince Papale bugged me, too. Some of the Eagles had the reverse tab facemasks on their helmets. Those particular masks weren't around then.

Weren't they playing "home" games on FIELD TURF as well. That has bugged me since I first watched the movie. When they were playing on astroturf during the time period.

packchampionslfroh.png

The movie about Vince Papale bugged me, too. Some of the Eagles had the reverse tab facemasks on their helmets. Those particular masks weren't around then.

Weren't they playing "home" games on FIELD TURF as well. That has bugged me since I first watched the movie. When they were playing on astroturf during the time period.

i didn't really notice that

but i did notice the bi-centenial patch on their sleves

(seen here)

From the Any Given Sunday press kit:
A League Is Born

It was clear from the beginning of the project that Stone?s determination to paint an unyielding, honest, and free depiction of professional football would necessitate an element of fiction in its physical backdrops. Ultimately, the filmmakers and the National Football League agreed to disagree, without rancor or interference from one party to the other, and thus, the AFFA (Association of Football Franchises of America) was born, the professional football league to which the Miami Sharks and all other teams depicted in "Any Given Sunday" belong...

As it turned out, the creation of the AFFA allowed Stone and his creative team unprecedented opportunities. "We were freed up to create our own "look"? concepts of team names, logos, uniforms, trophies, rules, etc." says producer Clayton Townsend...

Two elements of "Any Given Sunday"--the AFFA backdrop, and Stone?s desire to place the film a couple of years into the new century--allowed the film?s visual artists a degree of creativity absent from any previous movies with a pro football backdrop. Production designer Victor Kempster, art director Stella Vaccaro, and their department set about to redefine the sport?s setting.

"In the end, not being affiliated with the NFL gave us the creative freedom we needed to give Oliver the near-future look he was after," says Vaccaro. "Not being hindered by real-world field graphic regulations allowed us to paint outside the lines, so to speak. Our field design for the California Crusaders game, for example, was bigger and bolder than anything the NFL had ever done, even in the Super Bowl. And our field design for the Dallas Knights included a bold supergraphic in the center of the field that actually ran sideline to sideline.

"Working with the film?s costume designer, Mary Zophres, our goal was to provide the film?s teams with a fresh look without alienating loyal football fans or ignoring recognized iconography such as field numbers, yard lines and hash marks.

Wait - that film was set in the future?

That's news to me. I guess it explains why the uniforms were ugly as sin, they were TATCs. :P

no doubt the most accurate movie is *61. I think there was only one thing pointed out that was not accurate, but I can't remember what it was. I believe is was something the character of Mel Allen said. Does anyone know what that was?

I watched "We Are Marshall" for the second time last night and I noticed that Marshall is wearing peek-a-boo mesh green jerseys at home during the game against Xavier. I gotta say, they looked awful but pretty cool at the same time if that was the style they were wearing at the time.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

no doubt the most accurate movie is *61. I think there was only one thing pointed out that was not accurate, but I can't remember what it was. I believe is was something the character of Mel Allen said. Does anyone know what that was?

Ah man I loved that movie, one of the greatest sports movies made ever!!!

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Archived