Sports movies

raysox

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I also liked about Major League is, for the Indians and even the Yankees, they observed the retired numbers.

One editing error, though, regarding uniforms, was in the final one-game playoff between the two teams. Harris strikes out #37 and then Taylor doubles off #37 at first.

They even worked hard to do it right 'way back when.

"Pride of the Yankees" in 1942, used recognizable backdrops from Yankee Stadium, Comiskey Park & Briggs Stadium during key moments of the movie.

And the unis were pretty accurate for the day...

"Damn Yankees" from 1958 used the occasional backdrop from Griffith Stadium but mostly it was Wrigley Field (LA), where much of it was filmed...

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Yeah, the Dallas Knights. The field was an even worse nightmare.

dallasknightsfront.jpg

YES!

from the 45 to the other was painted with that logo

On at least one occasion, I thought a team scored a TD when they crossed the 45 because I saw the gold turf. VERY annoying.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

MGHelmets basically reproduced movie & TV helmets on his site...pretty damn awesome.

Link

Here's one that always got on my nerves for some reason:

texas-state-armadillos.gif

Texas State from Necessary Roughness. I mean, I can understand the sTu making sense since the T is the focal point...but it looks like Stu. They would've been better off making the s and u smaller, ala Texas A&M. Other than that, that movie was pretty respectable uniform wise.

The Waterboy also had some good uniforms. I loved the SCLSU uniforms, the old ones and new. They were ugly in a good way. All The Right Moves was a good uniform movie for high school.

North Dallas Forty & The Replacements are pretty much the only pro football movies that have good looking uniforms. The rest are terrible looking.

My problem with the uniforms in The Replacements is that they are are all very bland. It works for the main team as they have a bland name (Senators or something). The rest of the teams have awful logos and uniforms that would look at home at a very poor university.

Any Given Sunday goes with ugly unis to a ridiculous level (just like the rest of the movie).

The Replacements= stupid and boring

Any Given Sunday= stupid and anyhing but boring

One that always bothered me was in Rudy. Notre Dame had names on the backs of the jerseys.

They wore names on their jerseys in Rudy. You get read each one as they lay them down on Dan Devine's desk. Only Rudy didn't have a name on his jersey because they couldn't get it made on time.

Also, about the waterboy, I loved the uniforms so much that I made them my created team in NCAA 04 and used them for 6 dynasty seasons. The old uniforms were my throwbacks and the bowl game uniforms were my normal primary uniforms.

PvO6ZWJ.png

One that always bothered me was in Rudy. Notre Dame had names on the backs of the jerseys.

They wore names on their jerseys in Rudy. You get read each one as they lay them down on Dan Devine's desk. Only Rudy didn't have a name on his jersey because they couldn't get it made on time.

That is historically accurate. Notre Dame wore names on the back during the Dan Devine era.

The Blue-Gray Sky -- May 2005

Dan Devine made 2 changes to the uniform; he discontinued the use of the blue merit stars and he added names to back of the jerseys (left).

tn_rudy_names_jerseys.jpg

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

The reason Any Given Sunday's unis were so ugly and thrown together is that they were hoping to get permission to use NFL teams. When the NFL said hell no, they scrambles uniforms together and scraped together clip art for the teams.

As I was familiar with San Angelo Central that's how I knew they were using current uni's. It might have been a time constraint issue and if they used actual high school players they may ahve had to use current protective equipment. Permian and Lee had the same uniforms now they had back then. I think Carter did too but teh other schools had definitely new looks. Especially Hays, who uses the Dodge Ram logo.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

From the Any Given Sunday press kit:

A League Is Born

It was clear from the beginning of the project that Stone?s determination to paint an unyielding, honest, and free depiction of professional football would necessitate an element of fiction in its physical backdrops. Ultimately, the filmmakers and the National Football League agreed to disagree, without rancor or interference from one party to the other, and thus, the AFFA (Association of Football Franchises of America) was born, the professional football league to which the Miami Sharks and all other teams depicted in "Any Given Sunday" belong...

As it turned out, the creation of the AFFA allowed Stone and his creative team unprecedented opportunities. "We were freed up to create our own "look"? concepts of team names, logos, uniforms, trophies, rules, etc." says producer Clayton Townsend...

Two elements of "Any Given Sunday"--the AFFA backdrop, and Stone’s desire to place the film a couple of years into the new century--allowed the film’s visual artists a degree of creativity absent from any previous movies with a pro football backdrop. Production designer Victor Kempster, art director Stella Vaccaro, and their department set about to redefine the sport’s setting.

"In the end, not being affiliated with the NFL gave us the creative freedom we needed to give Oliver the near-future look he was after," says Vaccaro. "Not being hindered by real-world field graphic regulations allowed us to paint outside the lines, so to speak. Our field design for the California Crusaders game, for example, was bigger and bolder than anything the NFL had ever done, even in the Super Bowl. And our field design for the Dallas Knights included a bold supergraphic in the center of the field that actually ran sideline to sideline.

"Working with the film’s costume designer, Mary Zophres, our goal was to provide the film’s teams with a fresh look without alienating loyal football fans or ignoring recognized iconography such as field numbers, yard lines and hash marks.

oakqb4.jpg

Major League seemed to have gotten it right. When they played in Cleveland, they had the White uniforms, and the games where they showed them away they had the Gray uniforms. The only thing in Major League that really bugged me was when Willie was leading off in that last big game against the Yankees, and how he was moving his legs around so much, real baseball players don't move around that much, especially if they are good at stealing bases.

I'm not sure that has much to do with authenticity of the movie as it was Weslie Snipes just playing to the character's personality.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

From the Any Given Sunday press kit:
A League Is Born

It was clear from the beginning of the project that Stone?s determination to paint an unyielding, honest, and free depiction of professional football would necessitate an element of fiction in its physical backdrops. Ultimately, the filmmakers and the National Football League agreed to disagree, without rancor or interference from one party to the other, and thus, the AFFA (Association of Football Franchises of America) was born, the professional football league to which the Miami Sharks and all other teams depicted in "Any Given Sunday" belong...

As it turned out, the creation of the AFFA allowed Stone and his creative team unprecedented opportunities. "We were freed up to create our own "look"? concepts of team names, logos, uniforms, trophies, rules, etc." says producer Clayton Townsend...

Two elements of "Any Given Sunday"--the AFFA backdrop, and Stone?s desire to place the film a couple of years into the new century--allowed the film?s visual artists a degree of creativity absent from any previous movies with a pro football backdrop. Production designer Victor Kempster, art director Stella Vaccaro, and their department set about to redefine the sport?s setting.

"In the end, not being affiliated with the NFL gave us the creative freedom we needed to give Oliver the near-future look he was after," says Vaccaro. "Not being hindered by real-world field graphic regulations allowed us to paint outside the lines, so to speak. Our field design for the California Crusaders game, for example, was bigger and bolder than anything the NFL had ever done, even in the Super Bowl. And our field design for the Dallas Knights included a bold supergraphic in the center of the field that actually ran sideline to sideline.

"Working with the film?s costume designer, Mary Zophres, our goal was to provide the film?s teams with a fresh look without alienating loyal football fans or ignoring recognized iconography such as field numbers, yard lines and hash marks.

Wait - that film was set in the future?

I say BS. The reason the graphic went and covered ten yards from end to end is that the paint used on the star and Texas Stadium logos is permanent as opposed to the temporary type used on field turf. Same for the end zones. It's good to see they had a good plan in place to laugh off that they couldn't show NFL logos. I'm trying to remember if they covered the stars surrounding the field

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Hell, the Mighty Ducks changed their uniforms after the second period to the actual Anaheim Mighty Ducks uniforms............. while representing Team USA.

haha Love thoses movies. D2 was the best by far. I always wanted my school to come out at halftime with new uniforms on.

Woooooooo Wooooooooo KENNY WOU!!!!!!!!!

Archived