Team Canada and USA IIHF concepts

IceCap

Ok, so we all know the IOH is cracking down on federation logos on national team jerseys. So I whipped these up (I've been gone for a while, so if there's a new IIHF Nike template, I don't have it :().

Anyway I went ahead with the Dominion of Canada and the United States of America.

Canada;

I wanted something traditional. So I went with the old-style plain leaf/arched script look that was used prior to the 1952-2002 Olympic gold medal drought. The sweater design itself, however, is a little more "modern."

IIHFunisDoC6.png

USA;

I had dual inspiration for this one. Script "USA" logos never really look right to me, and shield logos always seem to be lacking something. I really liked the old-style eagle/shield USA logos though.

About the same time I was in the middle of reading Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series, a series of alternate history novels that covers world history from the moment the CSA wins its independence in 1862 to the end of WWII in 1945.

Following two loses to the CSA and here allies, the USA adopts the revenge-oriented "Remembrance" ideology and a new national emblem, an eagle and shield on crossed swords. Someone on a Turtledove fan board came up with a neat graphical representation of what it would look like, and I thought "if I changed the swords to hockey sticks, this could work for my USA concept."

IIHFunisUSA3.png

Ok, so we all know the IIHF is cracking down on federation logos on national team jerseys. So I whipped these up (I've been gone for a while, so if there's a new IIHF Nike template, I don't have it :().

Anyway I went ahead with the Dominion of Canada and the United States of America.

Canada;

I wanted something traditional. So I went with the old-style plain leaf/arched script look that was used prior to the 1952-2002 Olympic gold medal drought. The sweater design itself, however, is a little more "modern."

IIHFunisDoC6.png

USA;

I had dual inspiration for this one. Script "USA" logos never really look right to me, and shield logos always seem to be lacking something. I really liked the old-style eagle/shield USA logos though.

About the same time I was in the middle of reading Harry Turtledove's Southern Victory series, a series of alternate history novels that covers world history from the moment the CSA wins its independence in 1862 to the end of WWII in 1945.

Following two loses to the CSA and here allies, the USA adopts the revenge-oriented "Remembrance" ideology and a new national emblem, an eagle and shield on crossed swords. Someone on a Turtledove fan board came up with a neat graphical representation of what it would look like, and I thought "if I changed the swords to hockey sticks, this could work for my USA concept."

IIHFunisUSA3.png

Nice, the Canada jersey needs a little black, but both are very cool

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

I really like the USA look, but would that still count as a logo? I mean it doesn't say USA hockey or anything.

I guess it's just a question of would the IOC even allow that logo you have there, which byu the way rocked my socks off and around the corner.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I really like the USA look, but would that still count as a logo? I mean it doesn't say USA hockey or anything.

I guess it's just a question of would the IOC even allow that logo you have there, which byu the way rocked my socks off and around the corner.

Thanks for the compliment :D I wish I could take full credit for the logo, but it's something someone else made. I just altered the swords into hockey sticks.

As for the logo, I'm not sure what the IOC's exact guidelines are. I know that they don't want federation logos, but that's all I know ATM. So I'm thinking as long as they don't use the official USA Hockey logo they're fine.

Nice, the Canada jersey needs a little black, but both are very cool
Canada looks almost Soviet.
Gotta give a thumbs down to the Team Canada one. It need black, and the font doesn't do it for me.

I hear ya all. I was going for a pseudo-retro Team Canada look, but there's a fine line between that and just plain boring. And hey, I'm rusty :P

Canada does not need black! Its a nice addition but its unneeded. Is it an official national colour? No. You dont see the USA throwing black into there colour scheme. If anything, black should outline the numbers or outline the white and red stripes at the most, but no more then that!

beLEAF

Canada does not need black! Its a nice addition but its unneeded. Is it an official national colour? No. You dont see the USA throwing black into there colour scheme. If anything, black should outline the numbers or outline the white and red stripes at the most, but no more then that!

We want them in black because they look soo good in it!

BannerSigDallas.png

sig-5.png

Dont get me wrong, a little bit of black looks good (2002 jerseys) and I love having it in the logo, but it isnt needed in Canada's colour scheme. Canada's new uniforms look awesome in just red and white, except for the alternate logo being on the sleeve and in between the stripes with the numbers on the shoulder...

beLEAF

is it just me or does the eagle on the US jerseys resemble the old nazi eagle holding the swastika. Hopefully its just me but it looks a lot like it, let's keep the comparisons of the US to Nazi Germany to a minimum if we can.

these are very nice... Canada leaves something to be desired though, it does look like CCCP should be written instead of CANADA but its nice and simple nonetheless. Good work.

73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

29, 30, 31, 36, 39, 44, 61, 62, 65, 66, 67, 96, 10

is it just me or does the eagle on the US jerseys resemble the old nazi eagle holding the swastika. Hopefully its just me but it looks a lot like it, let's keep the comparisons of the US to Nazi Germany to a minimum if we can.

I was just looking for a decent American eagle/stars 'n stripes crest logo for Team USA.

Though I will grant you some possible resemblance because the logo in question comes from a story about an alternate timeline where the US ends up a little bit more authoritarian then it did IRL. Though the Nazi movement never rises in the same timeline.

We want them in black because they look soo good in it!

I'm ok with black as long as its subtle. It should never really become more then a third colour/outline/highlight IMO. Our national colours are red and white. The all-black alts from a few years ago were too much.

Ideally I would like to see blue return as Canada's "highlight" colour (as there are plenty of actual reasons for it to be in our colour scheme), but I know enough to know that's wishing for the impossible.

I think the USA needs a red jersey. ;)

In all honesty, I think these are absolutely beautiful. I think Canada's looks great in just red and white, although a little "Detroit Red Wing-ish", but they can pull it off. My only qualm, so to speak, with the US is how the logo shows on the white jersey. The eagle/sticks are white with only a blue outline against a white background. I don't know if another red outline just around the whole outter portion of the logo would be too much or just enough to help make the rest of the logo stand out from the jersey. Still, excellent work.

Archived