Long lost Saints jersey style

darkhaha

And a question - when you say 'metallic based paint' it obviously sounds like the stripes on the 'wrong' '69 jerseys, like the one Kilmer is wearing in the posed pic above, are screened on as opposed to sewn on (knitted into the sleeve), is that correct, they're screened?

The numbers were sewn-on up until 1974 then they were switched to the silk screen style with numerals that had a single outline. In 1983 they switched to the heavier inked numerals with a double outline like the Chargers. In 1996 they switched back to tackle twill two layer numerals til' the present.

But the '69 w-g-w-g-w stripes, like Kilmer and Abramowicz in the posed pics, were screened on, correct? I'm asking because Home Run Derby doesn't do screening so if those stripes are screened on, it sinks my plan to have them make me a '69 jersey.

Also, I'm certain the numbers were screened as early as 1972. I say that because I had a game-worn '72 jersey and the numbers and stripes were screened (see the first post of my Lost Treasures thread for details).

I can understand your desire to make the jersey as true to the original as possible, but the "built-in" weave done by HR Derby -- actually by Southland Athletic in Dallas, which to my understanding has the only machine still in existence that does this process -- will look WAY better than any screen printing (and I think it's pretty hard to tell from the photos which process was used for the striping, anyway). In combination with the great sewn-on numbers HR Derby does, you would have an outstanding jersey.

If you're a stickler for historical accuracy -- aren't we all around here! -- and you find out the '69 jersey stripes really were screened, I would suggest doing the '66-67 version, which definitely had the built-in stripes. Plus it's really the most classic Saints look ever, IMHO. It's up to you, of course, but I'm more than a disinterested observer, as I'd love to pick up one of these if HR Derby does a run of them.

Also, I think your wife should get you a black one AND a white one!

I own SEVERAL Home Run Derby jerseys, and can confirm that they are hands down the most authentic and accurate throwbacks jerseys available. They did a custon order for me too. A 1962 Vikings white away Hugh McElhenny jersey, and it is just perfect.

metslogo_215.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm thinking the same about just going with the '67-'68 jersey. And I might just get both colors eventually because it's murder trying to decide which to get. Both are just beautiful.

Thanks btw for the feedback about Home Run Derby. Without a first-hand opinion from someone who has bought from them, I'd be very reluctant to part with $195 to buy something sight unseen. What's your experience with the size? As I understand it, 52 is an XL and I have an 80's era Saints jersey in that size that fits well; have you found that the HRD jersey sizes run about the same as

modern ones?

Then I have to decide what number...leaning towards 17 for Kilmer but am still undecided.

Here it is in the white. Note the early number font, which I'm definitely going with. That brings up another issue about early Saints jerseys, the mixed fonts. Look at Jim Taylor's vs. #54 in the 2nd pic:

The sizing is a little tricky. All mine are size 48, which they call XL; I think they refer to size 52 as XXL. Anyway, and this probably comes under the category of TMI, I am 6'4" and I weighed about 225 (a lot of it in the gut) when I received my first HR Derby jersey earlier this year. It was quite long, but pretty tight in the stomach. The good news is that this motivated me to get back to the gym, and I dropped about 15 pounds. Now all my retro jerseys look a lot better when I wear 'em ( I have ordered several off of HR Derby's eBay store)! I've been hesitant to move up to a size 52, because the 48s are already so long. So consider your body type when making your order.

The font issue is tricky. I believe the jersey Taylor is wearing is the same one he and Gary Cuozzo wore on that famous Sports Illustrated cover. In fact, I had read on this board at one point that those were just prototypes that never saw any game action, so I found it interesting when I found that same photo you showed in your last post. I always kind of liked the thicker font and outline of the prototypes, but from a modern perspective the ones the team actually went with are probably a little less clunky.

1968_preseason_Saint-Rams.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I'm thinking the same about just going with the '67-'68 jersey. And I might just get both colors eventually because it's murder trying to decide which to get. Both are just beautiful.

Thanks btw for the feedback about Home Run Derby. Without a first-hand opinion from someone who has bought from them, I'd be very reluctant to part with $195 to buy something sight unseen. What's your experience with the size? As I understand it, 52 is an XL and I have an 80's era Saints jersey in that size that fits well; have you found that the HRD jersey sizes run about the same as

modern ones?

Then I have to decide what number...leaning towards 17 for Kilmer but am still undecided.

Here it is in the white. Note the early number font, which I'm definitely going with. That brings up another issue about early Saints jerseys, the mixed fonts. Look at Jim Taylor's vs. #54 in the 2nd pic:

The sizing is a little tricky. All mine are size 48, which they call XL; I think they refer to size 52 as XXL. Anyway, and this probably comes under the category of TMI, I am 6'4" and I weighed about 225 (a lot of it in the gut) when I received my first HR Derby jersey earlier this year. It was quite long, but pretty tight in the stomach. The good news is that this motivated me to get back to the gym, and I dropped about 15 pounds. Now all my retro jerseys look a lot better when I wear 'em ( I have ordered several off of HR Derby's eBay store)! I've been hesitant to move up to a size 52, because the 48s are already so long. So consider your body type when making your order.

The font issue is tricky. I believe the jersey Taylor is wearing is the same one he and Gary Cuozzo wore on that famous Sports Illustrated cover. In fact, I had read on this board at one point that those were just prototypes that never saw any game action, so I found it interesting when I found that same photo you showed in your last post. I always kind of liked the thicker font and outline of the prototypes, but from a modern perspective the ones the team actually went with are probably a little less clunky.

1968_preseason_Saint-Rams.jpg

Where are you finding these pics? That's got to be from their first game ever, the first preseason game of 1967 at Los Angeles. I've seen footage of that game on NFL Films' Lost Treasures series, and those unis were so incredibly nice looking.

Also, as for number, I'm thinking of going 'back to the future' and getting #26 in honor of my all time favorite Saint, Deuce McAllister.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Where are you finding these pics? That's got to be from their first game ever, the first preseason game of 1967 at Los Angeles. I've seen footage of that game on NFL Films' Lost Treasures series, and those unis were so incredibly nice looking.

Also, as for number, I'm thinking of going 'back to the future' and getting #26 in honor of my all time favorite Saint, Deuce McAllister.

I have quite a few digital pics I've downloaded over the years, but I can't remember where that particular one came from.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I have quite a few digital pics I've downloaded over the years, but I can't remember where that particuolar one came from.

I've started doing that too, downloading anything I run across.

Can you imagine what's in the NFL's photo archives? I wish they'd digitize the entire library and add the pics to NFLShop.com for sale.

I've started doing that too, downloading anything I run across.

Can you imagine what's in the NFL's photo archives? I wish they'd digitize the entire library and add the pics to NFLShop.com for sale.

Now I remember where I downloaded that Saints photo. There is a site called WireImage.com that is a treasure trove of old sports photos, especially football. You actually have to pay $75 for a month of download privileges, but I am enough of a uni geeek that I actually did it one time (don't tell my wife). Here are a few of my faves:

1970_Broncos-Chargers_Alworth.jpg

1968_Eagles-Packers_Woodeshick.jpg

1965_Chargers-Patriots.jpg

1967_Eagles-Rams.jpg

Man those are some great pics! Looking at the pic of the Eagles handing the ball off and others like it threw me for a loop when doing my uniform history research. I always throught that many teams had a white stripe at the top of their sock but players used to wrap tape around the top of the sock to keep them from falling down. Many people like myself have mistaken it for a horizontal uniform stripe!

• 1 month later...
Does anybody know what the Saints '69 away jerseys looked like? Were they like these?

NewOrleans68.gif

I'm pretty sure it was more like this:

ManningArchie15.jpg

Don't forget Archie cut his sleeves though, it would be a more "normal-looking" five stripes.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Does anybody know what the Saints '69 away jerseys looked like? Were they like these?

NewOrleans68.gif

I'm pretty sure it was more like this:

ManningArchie15.jpg

Don't forget Archie cut his sleeves though, it would be a more "normal-looking" five stripes.

Yes, you can see the full pattern on the offensive lineman in the background.

Archie wasn't drafted until 1971 and I'm certain they didn't wear the style he's pictured in before 1970 at the earliest. Interesting and rare pic of his one-bar mask, I think he only wore that style for one season.

I don't think they wore the Abramowicz-style jersey in 1969 either because it has black numbers. I guess my question could be re-phrased as when did they change from gold numbers to black?

Archie wasn't drafted until 1971 and I'm certain they didn't wear the style he's pictured in before 1970 at the earliest. Interesting and rare pic of his one-bar mask, I think he only wore that style for one season.

I don't think they wore the Abramowicz-style jersey in 1969 either because it has black numbers. I guess my question could be re-phrased as when did they change from gold numbers to black?

1970 was the year the Saints switched the numbers from gold to black on the white jerseys. I have all of the NFL season highlight films from 1966-2005 on the NFL Films Super Bowl Highlights DVDs that started hitting the market a few years ago, not to mention some old This Week in Pro Football episodes I recorded off ESPN Classic. Two of the 1970 episodes have the Saints in white jerseys with black numbers. Some of the 1969 footage I've seen has the Saints with white jerseys and gold numbers, and I know it's 1969 because of the "NFL 50" patch all teams wore that year.

So yes, they were like the mock illustration, but they would have had the "NFL 50" patch. I'd have to go back and check for sure about 1968, but I'm pretty sure the Saints wore black at home in 1969. They wore white at home in 1967.

I should also point out I'm a big Saints fan.

1970 was the year the Saints switched the numbers from gold to black on the white jerseys. I have all of the NFL season highlight films from 1966-2005 on the NFL Films Super Bowl Highlights DVDs that started hitting the market a few years ago, not to mention some old This Week in Pro Football episodes I recorded off ESPN Classic. Two of the 1970 episodes have the Saints in white jerseys with black numbers. Some of the 1969 footage I've seen has the Saints with white jerseys and gold numbers, and I know it's 1969 because of the "NFL 50" patch all teams wore that year.

So yes, they were like the mock illustration, but they would have had the "NFL 50" patch. I'd have to go back and check for sure about 1968, but I'm pretty sure the Saints wore black at home in 1969. They wore white at home in 1967.

Can you post a link to the specific DVD(s) you're referring to that have the season highlight films? I'd be interested in getting those.

EDIT: Assume it's this series?

Can you post a link to the specific DVD(s) you're referring to that have the season highlight films? I'd be interested in getting those.

EDIT: Assume it's this series?

Yes, it's that series. You can also buy them separately in four 10-year pieces, as I did, because they were only released one 10-year set at a time when I bought them.

Those season highlight films are cool. Originally, I bought those so that I could have on DVD all of those SB highlight films I had on VHS. I noticed the season highlight films were on there, too, and frankly, I like those more than the SBs themselves. Just fun to see the old uniform footage.

Is there any way you could do a screen capture of a shot of the white jerseys from 1969? I've been trying in vain to find a photo online. Are they the same jerseys from '67-68 only with the 50th anniversary patch added, or are the sleeve stripes different? The photo below shows that in '69 the black jerseys were indeed the 2nd generation style, as were the socks, which means the mock illustration from earlier in the thread is wrong about the black set. I'm really interested to see what the white set actually looked like.

1969Saints-RamsDempseyjpg.jpg

Archived