Utah Utes basketball

Delux247

On the bottom of the right side of their shorts they have:

U

U S

M U S S

I realize they've had "MUSS" since last year, but it has got to be the dumbest uniform feature in college basketball.

For those of you who are unaware, MUSS stands for Mighty Utah Students Section. I think the U/Us/MUSS means justs that: You + Us = MUSS. How stupid.

ujsignature.png

I didn't even know "Runnin' Utes" was officially recognized by the school. My dad always calls them that (I'm 22, he's 54), but I figured it was just some unofficial nickname from back in the day... How many schools have an official "Runnin'" before their names?

I didn't even know "Runnin' Utes" was officially recognized by the school. My dad always calls them that (I'm 22, he's 54), but I figured it was just some unofficial nickname from back in the day... How many schools have an official "Runnin'" before their names?

Well, there's UNLV...

UTA doesn't have Runnin', but Movin'...

toplogo.jpg

Trivia = UNLV actually borrowed the "Running" from Utah back in the 70s when Jerry Tark was just starting to the get the program up and running, figuratively. However, the abbreviated "Runnin'" moniker is all UNLV.

I remember Texas under Tom Penders back in the early 90s had "Runnin' Horns" on their shorts, though.

Actually those uniforms are a bit diferent. They used to have "Utah" on top and "Runnin' Utes" all together at the bottom.

Look at the pictures. The road uniforms are exactly as you describe.

6293505.jpg

Trivia = UNLV actually borrowed the "Running" from Utah back in the 70s when Jerry Tark was just starting to the get the program up and running, figuratively. However, the abbreviated "Runnin'" moniker is all UNLV.

Nickname "Rebels"

The nickname "Rebels" was given to UNLV athletic teams because the school, emerging from the shadow of the University of Nevada, Reno, in effect "rebelled" against its bigger and older brother to the north.

The name "Runnin' Rebels" (always spelled without a "g") was coined in 1974 by then-sports information director Dominic Clark but refers only to the UNLV men's basketball team.

Actually those uniforms are a bit diferent. They used to have "Utah" on top and "Runnin' Utes" all together at the bottom.

Look at the pictures. The road uniforms are exactly as you describe.

6293505.jpg

Nickname "Rebels"

The nickname "Rebels" was given to UNLV athletic teams because the school, emerging from the shadow of the University of Nevada, Reno, in effect "rebelled" against its bigger and older brother to the north.

The name "Runnin' Rebels" (always spelled without a "g") was coined in 1974 by then-sports information director Dominic Clark but refers only to the UNLV men's basketball team.

Yeah sorry I only looked at the home. Overall I like the home set but the away is too much.

kylekorversig1if2.png

• 2 weeks later...

I also saw the other day at Oklahoma that every Ute had 'Utah' stitched onto the back of his jersey. If you're going to 'put the team before the individual,' why not just leave the names off the back?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived