Well at least Oklahoma knows!

bigcoyotes

They need to go with this system:

Top eight in the BCS get automatic home games in the first round against eight at large teams. Teams are seeded in four regions. Seed placement considers regional concerns and avoidance of early round rematches of regular season contests. If both aren't in the top four of the BCS rankings, the Big Ten and Pac-10 champs are put in the same region. The second round is played in the Rose Bowl (West regional), Fiesta (Southwest regional), Orange (East regional) and Sugar (Southeast regional). One of those four bowls gets the semifinal doubleheader every four years. The national championship, or Collegiate Super Bowl, is played in a different stadium each year and at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis every fourth season.

I tested this system against the last five regular-season end BCS polls and it works every time. This year you'd get:

West Regional (first round on campus of higher ranked team, final at Rose Bowl)

1. Texas (3)

4. Ohio State (10)

2. USC (5)

3. Oklahoma State (13)

Southwest Regional (Fiesta)

1. Oklahoma (1)

4. Georgia (15)

2. Penn State (8)

3. Boise State (9)

And on the other side of the bracket

East (Orange)

1. Alabama (4)

4. Georgia Tech (14)

2. Utah (6)

3. Cincinnati (12)

Southeast (Sugar)

1. Florida (2)

4. Virginia Tech (16)

2. Texas Tech (7)

3. TCU (11)

The winners of the West and Southwest play at the Orange Bowl on Saturday night and the winners of the East and Southeast play at the Orange Bowl on Sunday afternoon. The championship is two weeks later in Indianapolis.

The 12th regular season game will be cut to accommodate for the longer season, and the playoffs will begin two weeks after the conference championships.

They need to go with this system:

Top eight in the BCS get automatic home games in the first round against eight at large teams. Teams are seeded in four regions. Seed placement considers regional concerns and avoidance of early round rematches of regular season contests. If both aren't in the top four of the BCS rankings, the Big Ten and Pac-10 champs are put in the same region. The second round is played in the Rose Bowl (West regional), Fiesta (Southwest regional), Orange (East regional) and Sugar (Southeast regional). One of those four bowls gets the semifinal doubleheader every four years. The national championship, or Collegiate Super Bowl, is played in a different stadium each year and at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis every fourth season.

I tested this system against the last five regular-season end BCS polls and it works every time. This year you'd get:

West Regional (first round on campus of higher ranked team, final at Rose Bowl)

1. Texas (3)

4. Ohio State (10)

2. USC (5)

3. Oklahoma State (13)

Southwest Regional (Fiesta)

1. Oklahoma (1)

4. Georgia (15)

2. Penn State (8)

3. Boise State (9)

And on the other side of the bracket

East (Orange)

1. Alabama (4)

4. Georgia Tech (14)

2. Utah (6)

3. Cincinnati (12)

Southeast (Sugar)

1. Florida (2)

4. Virginia Tech (16)

2. Texas Tech (7)

3. TCU (11)

The winners of the West and Southwest play at the Orange Bowl on Saturday night and the winners of the East and Southeast play at the Orange Bowl on Sunday afternoon. The championship is two weeks later in Indianapolis.

The 12th regular season game will be cut to accommodate for the longer season, and the playoffs will begin two weeks after the conference championships.

Great idea my friend, I really like the idea of the Championship being anywhere that wants the game, not just Bowl Game sites.

The national championship, or Collegiate Super Bowl, is played in a different stadium each year and at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis every fourth season.

Why Indy?

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

yet again I'm gonna say the BCS is a flaw and it has to go.

Alabama is gonna go more than likely to the Chick-Fil-A Bowl now and Mizzou will probably go to the Alamo Bowl. Alabama should be in some consideration for a BCS At-Large bid but it is probably NOT goingn to happen because of the ass kicking they got last night

? Alabama will be playing in the Sugar Bowl, and the NC will be #1 Oklahoma vs. #2 Florida.

For all of you saying the BCS needs to go, I would argue that it is stronger than the last system, and a playoff is obviously something that the AD's will not let happen. For Texas fans... yes, you beat Oklahoma, but why is the concept of a three-way tie so hard to understand? Three teams went 11-1, 7-1 (prior to last night), and all were 1-1 against each other. So head-to-head is thrown out and it comes down to determining the best team some other way. A combination of humans and computers determined it to be Oklahoma, and I agree. Texas should have beat Texas Tech if they wanted to go to the NC... The only beef I have is that all human votes should always be made public...

Why should losing by 6 on the road in the final minute hurt a team more than losing by 10 on a neutral site?

Why should winning by 44 count less than losing by 10? Again, I'll ask the question that someone asked earlier... how is the concept of a three way tie so difficult to understand? Texas lost to Texas Tech -- I don't see anyone arguing for Texas Tech.

Which team lost earliest?

As they say, it's better to lose earlier than later.

Let me ask this: When did "how you lose" become important? I thought we were all here to watch teams win - and the teams that win the most ought to be the ones who make the big games.

I realize that it can't be quite that simple - you have to factor in conference strength, margin of victory, and probably some other things. But it still boils down to teams that win (and win consistently and convincingly) being rewarded with big-time bowl game against strong competition.

I once thought a playoff structure might be interesting, but it's really unworkable in too many ways (not enough true "champions" in all of the different conferences), and the NCAA brass would be dead set against giving up all that delicious advertising revenue.

3101813238_7d0a1c2aae_o.png

Until this happens...

College Playoff 2008

...none of this whole BCS crap matters.

Bookmarked, and I'll be sharing on Facebook as well. Awesome, thanks!

Like I said, I'm not totally convinced they could make a "real" playoff system work (the conferences and the Fighting Irish would all have to get on board, which is asking a lot), but I love this idea - seed them by their rankings. It's worked for NCAA hoops for decades, so why not apply the concept to football?

The national championship, or Collegiate Super Bowl, is played in a different stadium each year and at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis every fourth season.

Why Indy?

That's where the NCAA is based, hence why the Final Four is there every four years.

And that's reason number eleventy-billion why the NCAA is the bane of college sports.

This would be like the NFL holding the Super Bowl in New York every four years, simply because "that's where they're based". Why should that EVER matter in a national sports organization, and especially one with as broad a reach across the nation as the NCAA has?

Why Indy?

That's where the NCAA is based, hence why the Final Four is there every four years.

And that's reason number eleventy-billion why the NCAA is the bane of college sports.

This would be like the NFL holding the Super Bowl in New York every four years, simply because "that's where they're based". Why should that EVER matter in a national sports organization, and especially one with as broad a reach across the nation as the NCAA has?

Because the location they chose is a major, centrally located travel hub with doubleplusgood facilities?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's how it should look: 1-16 of the BCS, if there are any conference champions ranked 17-20, replace the lowest ranked non-conference champion with that team. Top 8 teams play at home on first weekend of December (lose the conference championship games).

1 Oklahoma

8 Georgia

4 Penn State

5 Boise State

3 USC

6 TCU

2 Alabama

7 Oklahoma State

2 Texas

7 Georgia Tech

3 Utah

6 Cincinnati

4 Texas Tech

5 Ohio State

1 Florida

8 Virginia Tech

The winners would advance to play New Year's Day in the Sugar, Rose, Fiesta & Cotton (Cotton moving to new DC Stadium next year). Losers can play in minor bowls which will be true exhibitions.

Orange Bowl Final Four: The four survivors of New Year's Day will play the final two rounds in Florida to have less travel time. Many schools don't start classes until late January anyway. The Semifinals would be January 10th. Miami is unique in that the field is natural grass and since they tore down the Orange Bowl, there is no second large capacity stadium so the other semi would be played in Tampa. None of the other four rotating venues would have this issue. Then, Monday night, January 19, The National Championship! C'mon people, let's get this done!

Archived