2008 Tank Awards

NJTank

Usain Bolt was more impressive than Phelps in my opinion. Bolt smashed the record and the field in the most competitive event in the Olympics. He also smashed the record and the field in the 200m. They way he dominated those two events will never be seen again.

1zqy8ok.gif

Typo in Most Annoying Person Award:

"ESPN dose think sports exist outside of Boston"

should be doesn't.

Or does if that's what he meant. Dose is what I do with percocet. :blink:

Also...

Who is Bill Buckneer? :D

I'm with Tank all the way on the most annoying award. Bill Simmons needs to stop pretending to be a man.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

Great job Tank - I enjoyed reading them all. Thanks for sharing, I look forward to your 2009 awards.

Do the Lions get to keep their award for two straight years?

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Usain Bolt was more impressive than Phelps in my opinion. Bolt smashed the record and the field in the most competitive event in the Olympics. He also smashed the record and the field in the 200m. They way he dominated those two events will never be seen again.

Phelps broke the record in every event he swam (maybe not quite, but I think so), and to swim that number of races (and it's a lot more time in the pool than you see on TV) in that short amount of time is absolutely ridiculous.

Bolt's level of domination is crazy, too, but when he's the world's best ever in 8 total events of different skillsets and training, then maybe I'll consider him to be as impressive as Phelps.

Don't get me wrong, Bolt was unreal. But that's how highly I view Phelps' accomplishments. It blows my mind.

Phelps broke the record in every event he swam (maybe not quite, but I think so), and to swim that number of races (and it's a lot more time in the pool than you see on TV) in that short amount of time is absolutely ridiculous.

Bolt's level of domination is crazy, too, but when he's the world's best ever in 8 total events of different skillsets and training, then maybe I'll consider him to be as impressive as Phelps.

Don't get me wrong, Bolt was unreal. But that's how highly I view Phelps' accomplishments. It blows my mind.

Well, it's not as if Bolt has an event where he has to run backwards. ^_^ I heard Bolt is considering running the 400 at some point. Imagine him winning the 100, 200 and 400 in 2012. It's not easy to compare the athletics and swimming events. On the track, there is only one way to move in terms of racing, that's run forward. In swimming, there is more than one way to move. I would argue, after some reflecting, that what Phelps did was more impressive, mainly because he had to perform at his best in the final almost every time in such a short period of time, sometimes two events on the same day.

What Bolt did was the equivalent to the 50m freestyle and the 100m freestyle. But, what does Bolt have to do to be as impressive as Phelps? Run the hurdles? Do the long jump? The triple jump?

I saw, I came, I left.

That's a fine point. Most athletes don't have the chance to win 8 medals like swimmers do. The USA basketball team was super impressive and dominant, but they can only win their one gold. I don't hold that against anybody.

But swimmers do have that opportunity, and history shows it's not an easy feat. So when a Spitz or Phelps comes along and takes advantage of that opportunity, they deserve all the credit in the world.

Archived