2008 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Ring

Wally1912

After looking at the Championship belt thread. I finally figured out what it is that I don't like about the rings these days and what makes them so gaudy. It's a design thing. No one who designs these has any sense of design. They try and throw so many things onto the ring and so many jewels onto the ring that it's just one big cluttered mess. You need space, you need somewhere to let your eye rest and you just have jewel after jewel and no contrast of a darker color to enjoy the jewel and the ring. Some of the best rings are the first Super Bowl rings because they are simple and there might be a diamond or two on them. These days it's not how well you can design the ring, but how many jewels etc. you can put on the ring. Whoever designs these rings needs to be told, "Less is more."

No other trophy do you have your name etched on it for all to see. You can buy an ugly gaudy ring, you can't buy your name onto the Stanley Cup, you earn your name onto the Cup.

Players names are etched on one side of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, not as big of a deal as the Stanley Cup but they are there.

No other trophy do you have your name etched on it for all to see. You can buy an ugly gaudy ring, you can't buy your name onto the Stanley Cup, you earn your name onto the Cup.

Players names are etched on one side of the Vince Lombardi Trophy, not as big of a deal as the Stanley Cup but they are there.

Ummmm.... no. The winning team name is the only thing engraved onto the trophy and that's after the Super Bowl.

Ummmm.... no. The winning team name is the only thing engraved onto the trophy and that's after the Super Bowl.

Not if you hand the trophy to the Pittsburgh Steelers. They have player names engraved on the trophy.

nav-logo.png

Nothing beats the Devils 2003 ring. That was one stylish classy ring.

Wish i could get that ring to add to my Giants ring.

As far as the 2008 Wings rings, i think the winged wheel should have been done in rubies, but other than that, it's a nice looking ring.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Nothing beats the Devils 2003 ring. That was one stylish classy ring.

Wish i could get that ring to add to my Giants ring.

As far as the 2008 Wings rings, i think the winged wheel should have been done in rubies, but other than that, it's a nice looking ring.

ahhh...that 2003 ring hurts because of who they had to beat to get it :P, speaking of which, i think the ducks stanley cup ring in 2007 looked really nice, especially with all the meaning behind it

13dring_med.jpg

http://www.ocregister.com/column/rings-pla...016-ducks-first

The last few rings from NHL championship teams all seem to have a very similar rendering of the Stanley Cup.

2008 Red Wings: shown on first page of this thread

2007 Ducks: as shown in above post

2006 Hurricanes:

Hurricanes-4web.jpg

2004 Lightning:

TBL%20Players%20ring%204web.jpg

2002 Red Wings (note the use of rubies):

Red_Wings.jpg

The one that went against the grain was the 2003 Devils, which JQK mentioned as a favorite:

NJ%20Devils-Top.jpg

Archived