2008 Detroit Red Wings Stanley Cup Ring

Wally1912

I didn't see this story posted anywhere.

ept_sports_nhl_experts-588363066-1228843355.jpg

December 8, 2008

Red Wings get their Stanley Cup bling

BY HELENE ST. JAMES

FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER

The Wings got their Stanley Cup rings last night during a presentation with team owners Mike and Marian Ilitch.

"It?s huge, just huge," defenseman Niklas Kronwall said. "I?ve never seen anything like it. It was a really cool feeling to get it, actually."

Asked what he was going to do with it ? it?s not exactly for day-to-day wear ? Kronwall hesitated. ?I thought about it last night,? he said. ?Where do you keep it? Probably find a vault or something, I don?t know. I?ll talk to the other guys and see what they?ve done in the past.?

The rings were presented after a video of the team's run through last season's playoffs.

"They showed the highlights, and then they had girls with big trays with all the rings on them, and when it was all over, they all walked out to each table and handed all the boxes out," said captain Nicklas Lidstrom, for whom it was the fourth ring. "It's tough to compare the rings -- this one was special being the latest one. And being white gold, too, it looks a little different from the other ones. They're all special, all have their own special memories."

The bling also impressed coach Mike Babcock. "It was nice,? Babcock said. ?Usually, the only one who gets that is my wife, so it was kind of nice I got some.?

Fans attending Wednesday's game against the Flames will get a replica.

Are these things getting more hideous and gaudy every year?

I know you hate everything, but that actually looks really good--well, except for being for the Wings and all.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I am sure there are alot of NHL players around the league on other teams that would be proud to have a ring like that. The Red Wings have been a class organization for decades.

Naw the players don't give damn about the rings, it's their name on the Cup is what they care about. Most players don't even wear their rings because they are so big, impossible to wear, and ugly. I forget who that came from, but I heard it from I think on ESPN's NFL show. The rings stay locked up somewhere and never see the light of day unless there's some party and then they go back into the vault because the players and coaches hate wearing them. I've never heard a hockey player say, "It's all about the ring." It's not, the ring is just another thing, it's about the Cup. No other trophy do you have your name etched on it for all to see. You can buy an ugly gaudy ring, you can't buy your name onto the Stanley Cup, you earn your name onto the Cup.

I am sure there are alot of NHL players around the league on other teams that would be proud to have a ring like that. The Red Wings have been a class organization for decades.

Naw the players don't give damn about the rings, it's their name on the Cup is what they care about. Most players don't even wear their rings because they are so big, impossible to wear, and ugly. I forget who that came from, but I heard it from I think on ESPN's NFL show. The rings stay locked up somewhere and never see the light of day unless there's some party and then they go back into the vault because the players and coaches hate wearing them. I've never heard a hockey player say, "It's all about the ring." It's not, the ring is just another thing, it's about the Cup. No other trophy do you have your name etched on it for all to see. You can buy an ugly gaudy ring, you can't buy your name onto the Stanley Cup, you earn your name onto the Cup.

Jerome Bettis is all I have to say about players not wearing their rings. I've seen them on quite a few NHLers as well, so I'm not sure if you're making things up or just pulling random things out of the air.

The seemingly arbitrary placement of the years on the mini-cups on the ring's side panel makes me wonder if there's any significance to the order?

Why does it even need all the previous Cups on it? They won the '08 Stanley Cup, the other ones are old news. And like hjwii said, I was surprised there wasn't a single ruby on it.

"It?s huge, just huge,"

Sorry to threadjack and piss off anyone living in Upstate NY, but that just reminded me of..

1-bn-20080717-B009-fuccillohelpshy-146081-MI0001.standalone.prod_affiliate.50.jpg

Is that Fucillo Auto Mall?

On topic, It's a great looking ring but not if it's too big to wear. If I had one of those I'd want to wear it everywhere.

BB52Big.jpg

Wish they would've done the Red Wings logo in rubies. Already looks great, but that would have made it pop even more.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

Can a guy get just a little color? I love big gaudy rings but even I find this boring, just like the Giants Super Bowl ring. The Colts ring was fantastic.

They are getting a little bit big, though. A friend works in the Cardinals organization and he recieved a Series Ring. I got to see it the other day and its size is a bit much. Not like I wouldn't kill to have one, its just gotta be awkward to wear.

we have to think about the rings as individual trophies for the players and organizations. i mean there is only one trophy to win but how do you commemorate the individuals for the success...by giving them a trophy ring, which yea can be worn, but is more like a trophy to be displayed in a case

at least i think so

Miami.png

we have to think about the rings as individual trophies for the players and organizations. i mean there is only one trophy to win but how do you commemorate the individuals for the success...by giving them a trophy ring, which yea can be worn, but is more like a trophy to be displayed in a case

at least i think so

Thats a good way to put that. It would be more cheaper than giving all the players mini cups, although I think they used to do that did they not?

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Archived