Green

stimpy

now as far as green goes, Im surprised nobody has mentioned the New York Jets. They make green work about as well as any team in sports. The Eagles green is a unique color and works very well for them.

I agree... but I don't like the "retro" logo. I'd much rather see them use the 80's/early 90's version. Maybe even with a green logo on the white helmet.

i dunno, i've thought the griz' teal-black-red combo works, and i thought the hornets looked good when they had the pinstripes (now, they look like they're missing something very important)

other than that, the four team teals listed, they for the most part did it right.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Iron Chef Shark stated:

however making something teal just to be "different" thats a whole other can of worms. Teams that just seem to have thrown it on there and got a horrible look out of it:

Charlotte/New Orleans Hornets

Memphis Grizzlies

Utah Jazz

Jacksonville Jaguars

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (the "jade" can actually be considered an aqua of sorts)

NY Islanders fisherman uniforms

and lest we forget the Detroit Pistons ill advised experiment with it?

In actuality, the Hornets (in Charlotte) were chronologically the SECOND major league pro team to use aqua/teal, after the Dolphins. Alexander Julian, who came up with the color scheme and designed the original unis, correctly predicted that teal would become a popular color-- and it did, not just for athletic garb, but also in cars, shirts, ties, dresses, household items, etc. (he also put alternating color pin-striping on the jerseys and pleats on the pants, but that's another story). Of course, by now, fashion-wise, teal popularity has died down, but we're talking about team colors that have been around since 1988-- not something that is different, but I think, "original". I say this because the Hornets were not one of the earlier teams to use teal, but because they were also the first to use the combo of teal and purple, which was subsequently used by a slew of minor league teams (as well as the Arizona Diamonndbacks and the Utah Jazz).

as for the statement,

teal or aqua works best when applied to a team that has a nickname following a marine life or nautical theme

such as:

San Jose Sharks

Florida Marlins

Miami Dolphins

Seattle Mariners

does that imply that only those teams that have a marine/nautical connection should use teal/aqua? Why? Does it relate to the color of the water? Well, I've been to the Bay Area and Puget Sound, and believe me, the water in both places is a far shade from teal. Miami and Tampa Bay (on a good day) should have a lock on teal/aqua.... Teal/aqua can also include turqouise, a color based on the gem sharing the same name. Turquoise is used correctly by several Western teams, most notably the D-backs.

I'm more interested in why a team called the "Heat" has black in its color scheme. Yeah, black is REAL hot.....

It is what it is.

Archived