San Diego Chargers Concept

bigmike

Alright so I decided I would do a Chargers concept, but I wanted to make a new thread posting it instead of my old NFL one, because I am using some different templates and I hope I have gotten a lot cleaner and better with my designing for concepts.

NFL Concept #1 San Diego Chargers

Okay, the Chargers are one of my favorite teams, and I love the new jerseys they got last season. I still think it needs some tweaks though. One, I dont like how there is a stripe behind the lighting bolt on every jersey, I wanted to make the stripes color the same as the background, So I did that for every jersey. Anyways I am going to explain the rest of the concept parts with thier presentation "slide".

UPDATE - Okay so my basic design here is the same, made alot of updates you guys suggested so here they are

Logos - I kept the Lighting Bolt, same colors and all, but updated this logo, and made it the secondary, I made some very little tweaks to the horse, added the new wordmark and the Primary logo.

ChargersLogoSet-1.png

Helmet - Okay this may be something you see in alot of Charger Concepts but I like the idea of adding numbers under the bolt, because well it kind of links them to Alabama :P and I think it looks good and a nice throwback touch.

ChargersHelmet-1.png

Jerseys:

Home

ChargersHomeSet-1.png

Away

ChargersAwaySet-1.png

THE ACTION SHOTS WILL BE UPDATED LATER!!!

Alright so leave your thoughts and I will see which team I will do next.

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Thanks Twins8791, I really tried to orgainize it as well as I could.

tgvyhn, I actually like the Navy's but I like the Powder Blue alot better and would rather see it used as the home instead of just seeing it worn once or twice.

I don't know why the Chargers just don't go back to their classic powder blues.

Because the powder blues aren't their classics. As someone perceptively pointed out in another thread (I too had fallen into the "powders are the classics" misconception), their original and best unis didn't use powder blue. IIRC it was called Pacific Blue and it's clearly darker. What's used as powder blue looks like a Sky Blue Crayon, and no offense but the shade in this concept is like Day-Glo powder blue. B)

The real classic Charger blue:

7933lancealworth.gif

Chargers_Uni_1964-65.gif

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Because the powder blues aren't their classics. As someone perceptively pointed out in another thread (I too had fallen into the "powders are the classics" misconception), their original and best unis didn't use powder blue. IIRC it was called Pacific Blue and it's clearly darker. What's used as powder blue looks like a Sky Blue Crayon, and no offense but the shade in this concept is like Day-Glo powder blue. B)

7933lancealworth.gif

Chargers_Uni_1964-65.gif

Yeah I used the blue from the new logo, but Ireally like that shade of blue as well, I may switch them out. Thanks for alll the other comments, I will try and get som updates uo tonight keep the comments coming! :P

I actually didn't know that, so thanks for the clarification.

The only thing I could think of looking at that Lance Alsworth picture was that is one big nine.

The thing goes from his stomach to his shoulder practically, and takes up half of his chest.

It's an clean, decent take on the Chargers, but overall it think it's a downgrade.

-The helmets look good

-I think the design loses an infinite amount of appeal once you get rid of the shoulder inserts. Same with the pants. It would look so much better against a different color stripe.

-The fact that the shoulder bolt (on light blue background) goes yellow-lt blue-navy and the same bolt on the pants goes yellow-navy-white...well it just really, really bothers me.

-Sorry but the yellow numbers on the white jersey look horrendous.

-Why not use the real wordmark on the chest? It looks sooo much better.

-Another thing that irks me is the logo above the wordmark. Looks collegiate, and cluttered. Should be NFL logo, if anything.

-Doesn't really have to do with the design, but your standing wide receiver template looks weird (gates). With the upper body position he is in, it looks like he should be jumping. Like, you should see his toes pointed downward, and see the bottom of the cleats. I think right now it looks awkward. Other than that the templates are great, although the number on the fat offensive lineman doesn't look right.

It's a good concept, but I prefer what they currently sport by a wide margin.

7933lancealworth.gif

Chargers_Uni_1964-65.gif

Here's a great shot from '65 that shows the darker blue:

1965_Oilers-Chargers_2.jpg

This a particularly great shot for color purposes, because you can actually compare the Chargers' blue to the Oilers' light blue.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

It's an clean, decent take on the Chargers, but overall it think it's a downgrade.

-The helmets look good

-I think the design loses an infinite amount of appeal once you get rid of the shoulder inserts. Same with the pants. It would look so much better against a different color stripe.

-The fact that the shoulder bolt (on light blue background) goes yellow-lt blue-navy and the same bolt on the pants goes yellow-navy-white...well it just really, really bothers me.

-Sorry but the yellow numbers on the white jersey look horrendous.

-Why not use the real wordmark on the chest? It looks sooo much better.

-Another thing that irks me is the logo above the wordmark. Looks collegiate, and cluttered. Should be NFL logo, if anything.

-Doesn't really have to do with the design, but your standing wide receiver template looks weird (gates). With the upper body position he is in, it looks like he should be jumping. Like, you should see his toes pointed downward, and see the bottom of the cleats. I think right now it looks awkward. Other than that the templates are great, although the number on the fat offensive lineman doesn't look right.

It's a good concept, but I prefer what they currently sport by a wide margin.

Ahaha, soon I will make a concept you like, soon :P ha anyways you make some good points I was preety busy tonight so I couldnt make updates but I will do the following as a update.

- Not so Crazy about the Stripes under the Bolt by I will see if it looks better on here.

- I will make the bolt on the Lt. Blue go Yellow-Navy-White

- Change the wordmark

- Take away the logo (I was still stuck on my NCAA concepts ha :D)

- Change the Away numbers to Lt. Blue

- Update the shade of the Lt. Blue Color

as the Standing Reciever/DB template goes, you may have answered the problem with it, if you look in my thread (see sig) with them, I show the picture I take it from, but his feet are cut off by the bottom of the page so I had to free draw it in paint, but I will try and fix it.

Thanks for all the comments, updates maybe tommarow, after that the Colts?

I think it's definitely an improvement. It fixes the random application of different colored backgrounds behind the bolt problem. The only two things I would change would be to get rid of the number on the helmet and to make the numbers on the away uniform powder blue. Do that and these will look perfect IMO.

7933lancealworth.gif

Chargers_Uni_1964-65.gif

Here's a great shot from '65 that shows the darker blue:

1965_Oilers-Chargers_2.jpg

This a particularly great shot for color purposes, because you can actually compare the Chargers' blue to the Oilers' light blue.

Great shot, and that's simply the best Chargers set ever.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Nice job on these Bigmike. I only have a trio of coments. First, the blue is a little bright. I do like the light blue the Chargers are using, but this color needs to be just a tad bit darker. Second, the lightning bolts on the jerseys are upside down, the curve should be toward the top so the bolt points down toward the ground. And last, the tweaks to the horse head make it hard to tell if it is a horse or some type of dragon. But overall these are well done.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

I wouldn't get rid of the numbers on the helmets. I love that look. although I like the helmets as they are now too. either way it's a good look. The horse head needs tweaked big time. I know it didnt look like a horse in the chargers original, but it looks like the lockness monster or something or a dragon like siegel0572 said. also, in the secondary it looks like the blue outline of the bolt sticks out of the shield just a sliver. thats minor, but a bit unprofessional and should either be out farther or completely within the shield.

I think it's definitely an improvement. It fixes the random application of different colored backgrounds behind the bolt problem. The only two things I would change would be to get rid of the number on the helmet and to make the numbers on the away uniform powder blue. Do that and these will look perfect IMO.

How exactly is the way they use bolt backgrounds random? It makes perfect sense, really, it's just the opposite color on pants and jerseys.

How exactly is the way they use bolt backgrounds random? It makes perfect sense, really, it's just the opposite color on pants and jerseys.

p1_tomlinson.jpg

If the bolt can be laid over a white background on the helmet, why can't it be on the jerseys? And if the bolt can be laid over a blue background on the jerseys why can't it be on the pants?

Archived