How Low Has The Nhl Gone In The Us?

DEAD!

But ABC's Saturday afternoon broadcast of three regional games scored a 1.2 rating, the lowest-rated sports event of the weekend, finishing behind NBC's U.S. curling championships and Sunday's Arena Football League games (1.3).

Drat! How come nobody told me the U.S. Curling Championships were on!?

:hockeysmiley:

this is bad. What the hell happened. As much as we hate the glow puck, I'll take the Fox Trax and more popularity and exposure.

For the record, 1.2 was the same rating the XFL got for the Million Dollar Game.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

thats an awful rating and its really sad.

the nhl is going downhill, real fast

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

They need better marketing. Gary Bettman has been horrible at selling the game which is why he was hired in the first place which makes hima true failure.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

They need better marketing. Gary Bettman has been horrible at selling the game which is why he was hired in the first place which makes hima true failure.

I assume it was his idea that markets such as Nashville was a good idea right? A market that at teh first game, stayed in their seats after the 3rd period becasue they thought there was going to be a forth? (I'm pretty sure that was teh Preds)

The state of some of these teams is very saddenning. If ABC looks at these numbers and decides to drop their NHL coverage (or reduce it to only a handful of team coverages) The NHL in some markets are going to offer alot

They need better marketing. Gary Bettman has been horrible at selling the game which is why he was hired in the first place which makes hima  true failure.

I assume it was his idea that markets such as Nashville was a good idea right? A market that at teh first game, stayed in their seats after the 3rd period becasue they thought there was going to be a forth? (I'm pretty sure that was teh Preds)

The state of some of these teams is very saddenning. If ABC looks at these numbers and decides to drop their NHL coverage (or reduce it to only a handful of team coverages) The NHL in some markets are going to offer alot

Lol tahts embarassing yes that shows Bettman incompetnce even more.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The thing is that ABC already has. Fox had up to 6 games televised regionally, thanks in large part by using their regional broadcasters. ABC showed a West Coast game with West Coast teams for the first time in a very long time. Put it this way, if memory serves right, its the first time Mike Emerick has called a hockey game on tv in the Pacific time zone (that did not involve the Devils) since a Ducks-Red Wings playoff game in 1999 on Fox? I might be wrong but this was in attempt to try and get the west exposed some more.

Bettman has failed miserably. I'd like to see how many rule changes Bettman, the owners, and general managers to try to open up the game and get more offense?

Note: tonight on SportsCenter, which has been on for 20 minutes now, not one portion of the tease had hockey. The spring training highlights were as long as the hockey highlights in the 2nd block/segment. Nor has there been a promo for upcoming hockey.

Time to reform the game inside out!

Update: 1/2 way through SportsCenter, 2 hockey segments sandwiched in basketball highlights, and still no hockey teases. WHERE'S THE LOVE FOR THE VULCANIZED RUBBER? No wonder that guy from Dream job screwed up Evgeni Nabokov's name...calling him NEW-BUKE-AHEV

This just in: a hockey tease on SportsCenter! A hockey tease on SportsCenter! Do you believe in miracles!!!!!

The simplest way to get hockey more exposure is through SportsCenter. How come the morons at Disney didn't figure this one out. They help their ABC ratings, but promoting it on their biggest show. More highlites, more analysis, more in depth hockey coverage. Once SportsCenter begins to make hockey a bigger sport than it is, the rest will follow.

Disney along with ESPNBA and NBABC want THEIR sport exposed first. It's sad that LeBron James was a household name in high school, yet no one knows who the world Rick Nash is.

Sportscenter won't do alot of hockey for the simple fact that they know no one will watch it, and they don't want to hurt their own ratings, so they sneak in a few puck highlights in the middle and end of the show, then that's it...

The only time Hockey got first billing coverage was during the Bertuzzi fiasco. I do not believe that the NHL All Star Game got first billing on sportscenter, i think it was the rookie game in the NBA or something..... horrendous...

Bettman needs to go... let's oust his ass like a Hatian president...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Sportscenter won't do alot of hockey for the simple fact that they know no one will watch it, and they don't want to hurt their own ratings, so they sneak in a few puck highlights in the middle and end of the show, then that's it...

The only time Hockey got first billing coverage was during the Bertuzzi fiasco. I do not believe that the NHL All Star Game got first billing on sportscenter, i think it was the rookie game in the NBA or something..... horrendous...

Bettman needs to go... let's oust his ass like a Hatian president...

You make a good point, but squeezing an extra 4 or 5 minutes of extra coverage wouldn't hurt, or making the all-star game or major match-ups first billing sometimes. I don't think it would hurt. No one (to the best of my knowledge) is going to turn off the TV due to an extra few minutes of hockey coverage.

What the hell is hockey? :therock:

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Minus the glowing puck, Fox had good hockey coverage, they promoted the game. If you look at the rating it was much higher with fox than ABC. Also, back before ESPN got the NBA it's hockey coverage was good. I remember a few years ago there was a hockey game on every night on either espn or espn2. Now I can barely find a game on (minus the 3 local teams where I live, which for some reason always seem to play on the same night.)

Archived