Is This Another Ebay Scam?

Jungle Jim

This could be legit the Reds had white helmets in the 60s, and helmet logos back then were not exactly like the cap logos they were sorta done lazily.

This could be legit

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

zero bids, so apparently THIS one, bidders are too smart for.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

zero bids, so apparently THIS one, bidders are too smart for.

too smart? or too poor? :)

even if i believed with 100% certainty that it was a legit, and i was a baseball fan, i still wouldn't bid on it. that's an insane amount of cash.

This one might be legit... so don't fire off the e-mail campaign yet.

While I agree we are all experts on what is and isn't a game-used Red Sox BP jersey in 2004, I'm not sure any of us can authenticate a '60s batting helmet. Check some old batting cards.. old photos... but this looks as real as any to me.

I don't get the obsession and increased value of "game-used" stuff anyway. First, I like my stuff new, cause I'm going to wear it. Second, a certificate I can print on my PC at home is easier to fake than the genuine article, so I'm not sure what kind of "proof: really exists. The Cubs put a standard tag on all their game-used stuff. Easily could be faked. If these pros can fake jerseys, a piece of paper or cardboard is nothing (or a photo of the celebrity signing the same item is a good one, too). I've never understood how that legitimizes anything.

You want authentic game-used... get it straight from the player. Otherwise you never really know.

That is the style of batting helmet the Reds wore from 1961-64. They wore the white pinstripe caps at home and the grey caps on the road - so they made the batting helmet a bit of a mutt.

#20 was worn by Frank Robinson, which is why the price is so high. I would certainly want a COA before plopping $3500 on something like this. It could be a real Reds helmet but if I take a Sharpie and write the number "20" on it I've just increased its perceived value ten-fold.

Archived