And now all that's left is the ramps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu8vxgKMOFg

This one looks like something out of a war zone, especially in the sun set

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

We officially "Shea" Goodbye today. I miss the Stadium. Thats where I saw my 1st baseball game against the Expos.... Even thought it got rained out in the 3rd and I couldnt go to the make up game.

I drove past it the other day on my way to my new apartment in Queens.

Coming from the north off the Whitestone Bridge, the first shock was seeing CitiField for the first time in any form. It looks absolutely beautiful (this coming from a Yankees fan), and it would/will look a lot nicer if/when it wasn't/isn't surrounded by a shanty metropolis of car scrappers. Then I saw the remnants of Shea, looking just about how it looked in Tank's last picture, and I didn't say anything but "wowwww" for a couple of minutes. I hadn't seen it in any level of deconstruction, so to see it as a mere sliver of a skeleton was pretty jarring. There was nothing about it that looked more like a stadium than any other kind of building.

My first baseball game was at Shea sometime in the late 80s against the Cubs, and I managed to make it to a couple of games in the years since. I went a lot as a kid because my mom's office had Mets tickets, and because of the awesome Nickelodeon Extreme Baseball area in right field. I have many fond memories of Shea, most of which are probably fond because I was too young to realize how much of a dump it was. But it wasn't nearly as bad as Olympic Stadium in Montréal.

Shea Stadium

Official Groundbreaking October 28, 1961

Final Demoltion Febraury 18, 2009

BTW, a little trivia tidit. If you go to youtube and see the WCBS report about the final Shea Farewell, there is a guy being interviewed who not only worked when Shea was being constructed, but also he is working during the demolition. Such a lucky fellow!!!!

Time to "Shea" Goodbye to Shea Stadium one last time.

William A. Shea, may you be blessed forever in the hearts of all New York Baseball Fans and the fans of baseball, football, wrestling,and music fans, not to mention the Shriners as well, from all over the World. :winner:

Goodbye, Shea Stadium.......You will be missed for sure :down:

BRING BASEBALL BACK TO MONTREAL!!!!

MON AMOURS SIEMPRE!!

That was the worst stadium i ever saw a game in.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Cannot agree. The amenities were terrible, but sitting in the seats it was a great place to watch a game.

The seats were the worst part of the place.

Shea had some good chili-cheese dogs...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived