Rumor - Expos Move To Connecticut?

schlim

Saw this story about some guy in Connecticut wanting to buy the Expos and move them.... to New Britian?? Um,. as unlikely as this is, perhaps some folks would like to try out some logos/colors/uniforms for them? I'll try to get a design up in a couple days.

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/077/sports...in_Conne:.shtml

Major-league baseball in Connecticut?

By Associated Press, 3/17/2004 11:17

ADVERTISEMENT

HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) A Massachusetts-based real estate developer wants to move the Montreal Expos to Connecticut and rename them the Connecticut Colonials.

John Alevizos of Wellesley, Mass., who helped Toronto land an expansion franchise in the mid-1970s, has organized a group of investors who want to buy the Montreal Expos and relocate the club to Connecticut.

Alevizos told The Middletown Press that his group offered more than the $125 million Major League Baseball paid for the Expos three years ago.

The group submitted a detailed proposal and bid last week to Jerry Reinsdorf, the Expos relocation committee chairman, and is awaiting a response from the league, he said.

''I think we have a sensible plan and a package that makes sense,'' Alevizos told the newspaper. ''The next step is approval by the commissioner's office.''

Bringing the Expos to Connecticut would be a major coup for the state, still stinging from the New England Patriots' last-minute rejection in 1999 and the departure of the Hartford Whalers, an NHL team, to Carolina in 1997.

Major League Baseball, which tried to fold the Expos after the 2001 season, currently owns the franchise. MLB officials say they intend to find a permanent home for the Expos for the 2005 season. They are targeting July's All-Star Game to make a decision.

Rich Levin, Major League Baseball's senior vice president for public relations, said Tuesday his office was unaware of a bid from the Alevizos group.

''Nothing has filtered down to our office yet,'' Levin said.

A Reinsdorf spokesman could not confirm that Reinsdorf had received Alevizos' proposal.

Northern Virginia, Washington, D.C., and Portland, Ore., are considered the favorites to land the Expos. Also in the running are Monterrey, Mexico; San Juan, Puerto Rico; San Antonio; Las Vegas and Norfolk, Va.

''We've been low key,'' Alevizos said. ''But I realized I'm chasing the rabbit here. It's time to let the people in Connecticut know so they can voice their opinion.''

Alevizos said his group is looking at several locations around the state to build a 34,000-seat stadium and parking plaza for more than 8,000 cars, most likely somewhere along the corridor between Springfield, Mass., and New Haven.

Alevizos estimated the cost for the stadium at around $250 million. No state aid for construction or long-term financing would be required, Alevizos said.

Major league rules prohibit a team from locating in the southwest corner of Fairfield County due to the proximity of the New York Yankees and New York Mets. The rest of the state is open, although if a team set up shop within a 35-mile radius of New Britain, they might have to work out an agreement with the Double-A New Britain Rock Cats.

Information from: The Middletown Press

My old Colonials concept would be good, I just need to update some stuff...

Here is the old:

Colonials

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

dude, that's just wrong...i haven't ever seen you put anything up for critique...maybe something a little more useful than

That is the worst I have ever seen. colors are terible and what is up with that one strip on one side of the uni.

to post that as a critique is just ridiculous.

i happen to like the idea of the single stripe.

That is the worst I have ever seen. colors are terible and what is up with that one strip on one side of the uni.

What an ass. How does this help the designer? Answer: It doesn't at all. Reserve comments for constructive critisism, rather than spouting garbage.

PNM, I like the concept. The colors are very nice, very unique, and the design is clean. Clean design seems to be your halmark.

I like it.

Uh, there's nothing wrong with that Colonials design in my mind. Unique colors and the design pushes the envelope a bit, but I like that. After that first comment I almost didn't click, but I'm glad I did. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but I think it's good.

I love the colors. Not fond of the vertical stripe on the home jersey, but otherwise, these are solid.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Paynomind: Your CC name says it all! NICE work w/Colonials concept, there's a LOT of graphic talent on the CC board alrightee. First, what IS that primary color shade you've used? It's different, that's for sure! For the CT Colonials, I see a more traditional/historic approach, a red/white/blue scheme. I don't know the pantone shade but CT's state color is a kind of rich sky blue, very nice. For a primary logo, the first cliche that comes to mind is a stylized caricature of a male colonial character w/tri-corn hat & tied up pony tail, kind of the cousin of the Patsies' Elvis/Leno helmet figure, but the CT Colonial is in a batters' stance w/bat,

kind of waist-up side profile. I see the "Colonials" typeface in what I can only describe as "colonial" or "old world" I guess, not gothic font but kind of what you see in antiques reproduction catalogs. The Hollywood bs spin would be "Imagine if baseball was played @ Valley Forge...". Overall, it's a historical/patriotic/ adventurous image somehow related to baseball. Take a crack @ a primary logo to start with, PNM, I'd love to see your MAD skills on display for MY Connecticut Colonials... the dream begins...! :D

"The Amazing Fabwell... Knows All... SEES All... Tells NOTHING!!

Archived