NFL draft question

Slater

In the history of the NFl draft, have there been any high draft choices that have opted not to play football at all?

Jay Berwanger-the first player ever selected in the draft.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

No, he wasn't drafted. I remember him saying he wasn't going to play football if he wasn't picked in the 1st round. The rest is history...lol

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

In the history of the NFl draft, have there been any high draft choices that have opted not to play football at all?

Winner. Thread done. :D

It's where I sit.

WOW.

The draft has come a long way since the 1st player ever selected decided not to go pro. I'd imagine that if that happened today, there'd be near-riots and Mel Kiper Jr. would probably off himself.

Well, Jay Berwanger wasn't exactly turning his back on $30+ million guaranteed...

Maybe Tim Tebow would turn down the NFL, but only because God asked him to ascend to Heaven to take over as The Almighty or something.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

WOW.

The draft has come a long way since the 1st player ever selected decided not to go pro. I'd imagine that if that happened today, there'd be near-riots and Mel Kiper Jr. would probably off himself.

For that reason alone I say we start a collection and see if we can get whoever the number one pick turns out to be not to play.

BB52Big.jpg

WOW.

For that reason alone I say we start a collection and see if we can get whoever the number one pick turns out to be not to play.

As a Lions fan, I say this is a terrible idea. I'll start a collection for whoever the #1 pick is to win a Superbowl in Detroit.

Archived