A New Day at ESPN

patsox

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
one thing i noticed that when it first comes up during the 15/58 reports it will start off as the new bottomline then switch back to the old once the scroll starts, i'll try and get pictures later

Weird...

Either:

Their IT staff is going to be fired...

OR

They are like my company and only have a couple of IT staff who also have other, higher-priority responsibilities. That's probably it--John Kruk and Karl Ravech are the IT staff and just haven't had time to get to this, what with baseball and all.

What's weird is they go back to the OLD one whenever they have the 30 minute updates, but then when they scroll the draft info across the bottom, it's back to the new look. WTF, Bristol? <_<

If it's true that the system crashed when they tried the new one, it could just be that the draft bottom line is nowhere near as complicated to run and therefore can run without crashing. It's basically just showing a list over and over again, not scores/news/in-game status like the regular BL does.

What's weird is they go back to the OLD one whenever they have the 30 minute updates, but then when they scroll the draft info across the bottom, it's back to the new look. WTF, Bristol? <_<

If it's true that the system crashed when they tried the new one, it could just be that the draft bottom line is nowhere near as complicated to run and therefore can run without crashing. It's basically just showing a list over and over again, not scores/news/in-game status like the regular BL does.

As I understand what happened from a couple of people, um, close to the situation, the new BL was powered by a system that brought together info from a ton of different sources, but mostly powered by an adaptation of the software that they use for all of the espn.com GameCasts. Instead of a combination of the current manual input of some things and computer-linked score updates, it was a computer doing everything. It worked great for several hours, but then games began starting and info updating, and the whole thing crashed. The influx of tons of data at one time was more than was expected.

The actual graphic package is still there and can be used, but the software behind it is still largely in shambles. There have been a couple of tests since then (off-air, obviously) and ESPN still doesn't have something that they trust enough to put out there. They have elected to use the old system until the new one can be fully implimented.

Again, this info is second-hand, but those that I've talked to are fairly reliable when it comes to the inner-workings of ESPN.

Wow what a shame, hopefully ESPN fixes the problem, and gets it back up soon.

SportsCenter and the SC Special episodes, and the RIGHT NOW segment only uses the new graphics. Other studio shows like Baseball tonight uses the older ones. I bet they'll implement the new graphics soon on the other studio shows, like, around FOOTBALL SEASON!

• 1 month later...

At the moment, SportsCenter has what appears to be the end of the new bottomline (just ESPNHD). The regular one is yet to appear, and has been replaced with a poorly colored SC logo, right next to this new addition.

I'm either crazy or the moment we've been waiting for may be very soon.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

I meant to update this last night, that what I saw was obviously another failed attempt.

The old one reappeared with the start of the next SportsCenter.

dzh6fs12jk4gddgfd123hlxft.gif

There was NO bottomline tonight during the Dodgers/Cubs game.....

I don't think they use it during the Sunday telecasts, to give it that "big game" feel or something. Same with NBA playoff games and Monday Night Football. There you get the regular :28/:58 updates.

packchampionslfroh.png

Archived