AHL to Austin, Abbotsford and Glens Falls

Brian in Boston

Utah came in in 2001, until then St Louis (1944-53) was as far as they went.

Wow, I really didn't know that the AHL was always back east. I could've sworn that when the IHL folded and the Utah Grizzlies came into the AHL, that some other fellow western teams (like San Diego) joined the league. I guess I had my facts mixed up. :wacko:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I really didn't know that the AHL was always back east. I could've sworn that when the IHL folded and the Utah Grizzlies came into the AHL, that some other fellow western teams (like San Diego) joined the league. I guess I had my facts mixed up. :wacko:

I may be mistaken, but Utah was IIRC the farthest west IHL team at the time of the folding anyway. The rest had already gone on to the WCHL.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I may be mistaken, but Utah was IIRC the farthest west IHL team at the time of the folding anyway. The rest had already gone on to the WCHL.

Correct. Long Beach had gone to the W a couple of years prior, and the San Diego Gulls hadn't been in the I since the mid-'90s - they relocated and became the L.A. Ice Dogs. As for the I's other western outposts, the Phoenix Roadrunners were history once the Coyotes came to town, and the S.F. Spiders... err, yeah.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Proud current owner. Really, just about the only thing that franchise did right.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

In case this hasn't yet been mentioned, the Abbotsford team will not be called the Flames (as per a radio interview the local owner gave), so the flaming A is unlikely to be seen.

I presume the beancounters in Calgary will differ on that front.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In case this hasn't yet been mentioned, the Abbotsford team will not be called the Flames (as per a radio interview the local owner gave), so the flaming A is unlikely to be seen.

I presume the beancounters in Calgary will differ on that front.

Team name will be announced tomorrow!

http://www.fraservalleyahl.com

(yes, Flames was one of the finalists, as were Storm, Heat, and Ice Hawks)

EDIT: From what I hear, it looks like they'll be the Abbotsford Heat...So the flaming "A" can be put to good use again!

bYhYmxh.png

"The Abbotsford Heat" sounds like a tongue-in-cheek name for some guy's fantasy team, but then again the whole idea of putting a British Columbia town in a New York/New England league is kind of a fantasy too, so there you go.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

"The Abbotsford Heat" sounds like a tongue-in-cheek name for some guy's fantasy team, but then again the whole idea of putting a British Columbia town in a New York/New England league is kind of a fantasy too, so there you go.

It also sounds like something you'd get a the local red light district, which rather sizable as I've been lead to understand.

Today, we are all otaku.

It also sounds like something you'd get a the local red light district, which rather sizable as I've been lead to understand.

Well then. Sounds like Big Al's in Peoria will have some sizable competition for attracting players' disposable income in the Western Conference this season.

"Abbotsford Heat? Yeah, I had it. Antibiotics, two weeks, cleared right up."

Well then. Sounds like Big Al's in Peoria will have some sizable competition for attracting players' disposable income in the Western Conference this season.

Could be a disaster for them between that and the city council trying to force them to move.

Today, we are all otaku.

It is, in fact, pathetically, the Abbotsford Heat.

I long for this franchise to complete the triumvirate of fail started by the Albany Choppers, and continued by the Columbus Stars.

I'm down with the Abbotsford Heat can't wait to see the logo.

AbbotsfordHeat.gif

Today, we are all otaku.

So I guess this is another lesson learned my experience as a hockey fan: The Flames have little-to-no regard of their minor league system. Got it.

So I guess this is another lesson learned my experience as a hockey fan: The Flames have little-to-no regard of their minor league system. Got it.

Welcome to the fold.

• 5 weeks later...

Since this has become the AHL silly season thread.

This weekend, the Iowa Chops learned that you cannot use your franchise as collateral on a loan.

So....the Texas Stars may have pretty much found their "full time" franchise methinks...either they will be directly promoted, or the Iowa Chops' sheet of paper will be given to them.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived