Dolphins Concept

Jt0323

It's nice. The primary logo is a definite improvement. The wordmarks are plain but alright.

The one thing that's kind of throwing me off is the web 2.0 ness of it all. With the gradients and the little white highlight on the MD logo, it looks like it's a web 2.0 logo for a company with a logo that'll last for 5 years.

To be honest I can't really tell what the alternate is...

And when I see MD, I think Maryland. I'd say just go with a D or M.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I like the primary, but the way you did the font, along with the MD logo, screams Nuggets to me, and the MD is pretty bland. I don't really like the eye as nothing about it says "we are a team named the dolphins". It's an eye that could work for various animals.

The primary logo is ok, it is what it is, a combination of old and new logos with a realignment of the colour palette it's not revolutionary but not every concept has to reinvent the wheel and it's well executed so yeah it's all good.

The secondary seems a little uninspired to me. It's a block serif typeface with a gradient on it. It's well executed again but there's not much individuality to it. There's nothing other than the colours that says Miami to me. You could take the initials for every team in the league and do exactly the same thing (current colours and that typeface) and it would look pretty good and I'm sure you could find a professional use for it, say on the ESPN site or another site that reports on all teams it would be a great little device to highlight stories about particular teams.

But as a secondary logo for a specific team there isn't enough exclusivity to that one team to make it work as a logo. Same applies with the wordmark, not individual enough imo to be a successful logotype for a team and while being well done and very Web 2.0 as someone else said it fails for that very same reason. Gradients are very web 2.0 very "now" in some peoples opinions but an absolute nightmare to try and replicate with embroidery so the team would find it very difficult to actually recreate this logo on their jerseys. Something that should never be forgotten (but often is) when designing a logo is "is this fit for purpose?". Too often something that looks good on screen or on paper is chosen over something that looks good across all mediums. No point it looking great in one place if you cant use it on the jerseys.

The tertiary well I'm still having trouble trying to work out that it is? Is it the eye? Is it a highly stylised M? If it is why when the main logotype has little to no styling at all? And again the same issue with the gradients applies, in that it would be difficult to reproduce in certain ways.

I like everything but the tertiary and like I said professional uses in print and on the web could be found for all of them and they would be pretty successful I think but with that said I dont think they succeed as primary logos for the team due to the over use of gradients and the lack of any real Miami connection or flavour in the chosen typefaces.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived