2009 Confederations Cup

twi

God, I'm sick of moral "victories" when it comes to the USMNT.

Same here. For all the talk of the past several "biggest wins in the history of U.S. Soccer", none of them have really made any sort of significant, long-term impact on soccer's popularity or visibility because they haven't involved actually winning anything. They've all been on the level of, "Hey, the United States isn't as ragingly incompetent at soccer as the rest of the world thinks it is!" And being "not terrible" in a country used to excelling and dominating at every sport it touches ain't gonna cut it.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meh, disappointing that we lost, but I really wasn't surprised. Great effort by the team.

Our attack pissed me the hell off sometimes. Charlie Davies is just unpolished and messed up a couple times in their third of the pitch, just poor decision making. It'll come with experience I hope. Jozy did that a few times too. We'd have a 4 on 4 and just mess it up trying to get too fancy or not being aggressive enough and holding the ball.

Also NEED to get better on set pieces, those killed us a couple times. Timmy H saved the defense's ass more times than I can count on two hands the past couple games, IMO he's the MVP for the team for sure in the tournament, maybe even the whole Cup.

And just for those who don't like to crunch numbers, the US is only sending 4 players that were on the Confed Cup squad to the Gold Cup.

Which stinks. The USA should always strive to win every tournament it enters - which means you bring your "A" team.

Remember, this is the same nation that committed to winning the World Cup by 2010. The goal is not that farfetched - all it means is winning seven games.

LvZYtbZ.png

I think this proved that the US is for real. They can hang with the big boys.

Not yet, it doesn't. We won't know if the team's "for real" until next summer after the World Cup.

The US had a solid run in 1994, only to flop in 1998. Made the quarterfinals in 2002, then flopped again in 2006. Starting to become dominant on US soil, but still struggles mightily outside the borders. They've been inconsistent for years.

A win in Mexico would be a good start, but a solid showing in next year's World Cup will be the true barometer for this team.

I think this proved that the US is for real. They can hang with the big boys.

It proved they can have a fluke game and a half of world-class play against the big boys. No more. It's going to take some consistency to show anything approaching "for real." Remember that, starting off this cup tourney, the U.S. was getting absolutely shellacked.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm really mad I missed this match, my power was out for basically the entire game (it went off half an hour before it started and came back on as Brazil was celebrating.) I'm happy that the US was able to get a two goal lead, but you can't take a moral victory from a match where you gave up three straight to lose. But there is still a year until the World Cup, so hopefully this experience will help them.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

What a rough game to watch...exciting first half followed by a punch-to-the gut-second. While I am a supporter of "El Tri", it was the first time I've rooted for the U.S.

While they started the tournament off poorly, I think any continuation of this momentum could be huge for their chances leading into the WC in'10.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Archived