2009 Confederations Cup

twi

Anybody been watching the first two days of this tournament?

It's interesting to see the different continental champions match up against each other. Spain sure gave New Zealand a lesson that can't be learned in the Oceania group.

Results after two days are as follows:

Group A

Iraq 0 0 South Africa

New Zealand 0 5 Spain

Group B

Egypt 3 4 Brazil

USA 1 3 Italy

Top two from each group go to semi finals after a round robin.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

!@#%$!#%!^$&!@%$^&!@%$&!@%$!@$&!%^&!!!

- That's not a red card. A yellow? Yes. But not a red; not even close.

- That said, what the hell are you doing, Ricardo? The ball's long gone there.

- Rossi's a traitor.

- DeMerit needs to frickin' step up and get in the traitor's face, not back off and give him a lane to shoot.

- I'd like to see one US player that's semi-dangerous shooting from outside the box.

- How is someone climbing over Donovan's back not a foul? Oh, right, because the referee pussed out since it was in the box.

- Jozy, I like ya... but you were terrible today.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

The Preview event for the World Cup, Spain by far have the easiest route I think it's going to be a Spain-Brazil final maybe a possible final next summer? Now I'm really thankful of getting Gol TV

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

The Preview event for the World Cup, Spain by far have the easiest route I think it's going to be a Spain-Brazil final maybe a possible final next summer? Now I'm really thankful of getting Gol TV
Spain's got a hell of a match in the semis - the winner of Group B actually has the waltz into the finals.

LvZYtbZ.png

I kinda expect New Zealand to spanked by the Spanish. Come on, they're good.

What has my attention, though, is the performance of Egypt in that loss to Brazil. To nearly get a tie against one of soccer's legendary teams is a huge accomplishment.

As for the US, it was so close... 1-0 and down a man against the World Cup champs. I don't know what happened, but it's like the defense was sleepwalking the rest of the match. Bad enough that this happened, but if it happens against Brazil, the Americans are going to have a short stay in South Africa.

Spain's got a hell of a match in the semis - the winner of Group B actually has the waltz into the finals.

Well they'll really prove that they are the European Champions then I guess.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

- Rossi's a traitor.

- DeMerit needs to frickin' step up and get in the traitor's face, not back off and give him a lane to shoot.

- I'd like to see one US player that's semi-dangerous shooting from outside the box.

- How is someone climbing over Donovan's back not a foul? Oh, right, because the referee pussed out since it was in the box.

Agreed on every point.

Italy's a better team, but the US played well enough to pull the upset today. The refs ensured it went to Italy however.

Not to claim anything intentional, either, just how it is. Hell, if they got every other call right, the Red Card call was enough.

- Rossi's a traitor.

You didn't think that was a red? I'm kind of shocked, you're the foremost soccer man on these boards; I thought you would agree on the call.

I agree on the rest, especially the part about needing a formidable shooter from outside 18 yards.

I will say this about Rossi, he did choose the harder path to the top level.

Yellow yes, red no.

Clark was late...yellow v. red is debatable, but sub-par performances by a lot of the U.S. players.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I will say this about Rossi, he did choose the harder path to the top level.

If you can make a Italian squad, you must be doing something right.... I can't say I have much sympathy to the Americans about this. That's just the way the FIFA rules are. It happens to a lot of countries.

I saw, I came, I left.

US basically lost the game because of that unwarranted red card. You don't give a red on someone's first tackle and first booking of the game unless it was clothesline or something like that. It was definitely a yellow, but definitely not a red. That was ridiculous.

And they lost the game because the first and go-ahead goals for Italy were basically goals scored in a position where there would normally be pressure on the ball. There wasn't any, so Rossi launched a rocket for the first goal, and de Rossi snuck one past Howard & the rest of the defense for a second one. I don't really blame the US for coming out flat in the 2nd half, but I definitely expected better.

The Egypt situation is kind of weird. Although their handball is the reason why Brazil got a win instead of a draw, it really should've remained a no-call because the referees caught a look at the video replay, which, by FIFA regulations, is illegal. If they're going by the letter of the law, then Egypt should win their protest. Idk what they get by winning a protest though.

It's a real shame for Howard, b/c he was brilliant IMO he made so many good reads and great saves, goals 1 and 3 were unstoppable. Rossi's first was hit strong and very accurate as it looked from one angle that it was just enough away from Howard's fingers and looks like it kissed off the inside of the post and in. Rossi's second was point blank; no chance for Howard. DeRossi's goal would've been stopped by Howard (had Gooch not have screened Timmy) or would've been deflected away by Oguchi if he would've tried to get it with his left instead of going across his body and try and get it with his right. Did anyone else think that the US played more on Howard stopping the ball, than actually creating scoring chances themselves?

Also I don't know how Clark receives a red, but there is a no call when the Italian defender went over the top of Landon before the ball was close to them. Lalas said it best after the game, the US will not get the calls that Italy and Brazil will, so they have to play smart.

HumanitarianBowl.png

In the Italy/US game, was Italy wearing black shorts? They looked terrible.

As for the game, Rossi's 2nd goal was beautiful. Pirlo made a helluva play to get by the defender and keep the ball in than chip it into the middle.

beLEAF

They looked brown. :blink:

Italia.png

Whens the next US game? I'd like to catch it if I can.

Thursday morning against Brazil. If Brazil comes out sluggish like they did against Egypt, the US may have a shot. If Brazil come out in their normal form, then we're screwed.

They looked brown. :blink:

Italia.png

Whens the next US game? I'd like to catch it if I can.

They are brown:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2009/06/15/9805976-ap.html

The new kits also give Italy the possibility to alternate brown shorts and socks with the traditional white ones. The brown option was on display when the Azzurri opened the Confederations Cup against the United States, which wore all white.

"That is also an homage to the national team of those years," Puma Italia general manager Andrea Rogg said. "Back then they wore black sometimes, but we preferred dark brown for aesthetic reasons."

I saw, I came, I left.

I wil never understand how FIFA decides on what the teams should wear. Neither of those kits were the teams' primary sets.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived