2009 Confederations Cup

twi

Full Time: BRA 3:0 ITA; USA 3:0 EGY

Italy and US both are at -2 on GD, but USA goes ahead scoring four goals to Italy's 3.

I'm pleasantly surprised, they waited until the final day to play their best football.

:shocked:

USA advances to semis.

Dang, should have placed bets in Vegas on that.

Vegas takes bets on soccer? I only thought you could bet on real sports.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full Time: BRA 3:0 ITA; USA 3:0 EGY

Italy and US both are at -2 on GD, but USA goes ahead scoring four goals to Italy's 3.

I'm pleasantly surprised, they waited until the final day to play their best football.

:shocked:

USA advances to semis.

Dang, should have placed bets in Vegas on that.

Vegas takes bets on soccer? I only thought you could bet on real sports.

I'm sure Vegas has sand castle building, power walking, and charades in the mix for your liking.

The US will likely get smoked by Spain, but it gives the US one more game in South Africa, and playing staunch competition can only be a good thing, right?

I just thought of something: It'll be the beginning of winter in South Africa when the World Cup will be played. I haven't seen the forecasts or weather reports in South Africa, but I wonder if this will have any effect on some teams next year.....

The fact that the US team advanced makes me feel somewhat like the thing is rigged. I know it probably isn't, but it just kinda seems like it doesn't it? To get some popularity out of the biggest market maybe?

No chance they'd rig it for the Americans. The people who run this are plenty satisfied with the popularity in the sport has worldwide and aren't about to give the US any concessions.

The fact that the US team advanced makes me feel somewhat like the thing is rigged. I know it probably isn't, but it just kinda seems like it doesn't it? To get some popularity out of the biggest market maybe?

No chance they'd rig it for the Americans. The people who run this are plenty satisfied with the popularity in the sport has worldwide and aren't about to give the US any concessions.

Well I know it isn't actually rigged, but it is just kind of interesting the way things turned out.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

The US will likely get smoked by Spain, but it gives the US one more game in South Africa, and playing staunch competition can only be a good thing, right?

I just thought of something: It'll be the beginning of winter in South Africa when the World Cup will be played. I haven't seen the forecasts or weather reports in South Africa, but I wonder if this will have any effect on some teams next year.....

Depends on where you go but usually it's average 17-20 degrees (I'm talking Celsius) so Mid 60's the only thing that is a worry is the rain.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'm sure Italy is a lot bigger "market" when it comes to top level internationals.

Two more, actually; there's a third-place game, which will likely be US/SA.

Bloemfontein is at 4,500 ft; during one of the games played there, the commentators were saying that snow is a possibility (though, according to Wikipedia, rare) during that time of year.

I'm still in disbelief. For as poorly as the US played against Brazil and in the second half against Italy, the US team showed up big time against Egypt and got through. This, obviously, doesn't mean that the US is a better team than Italy; it does, however, mean that the US advanced by beating Egypt handily, something Italy could not.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

How in the hell did the US advance?!?

Awesome!

Well, here's to 3rd place! :D

(but please don't get embarrassed by Spain in the process. Put all possible effort into it)

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Burn.

I think the USA can hang with Spain. If the team plays like they did against Egypt, they could walk out with a win. If the other team shows up, they're toast.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Unless Spain phones it in, and the U.S. plays even better then they did against the Egyptians, this will not end well...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

So yeah, after watching the highlights of the day on footytube...WOW. EVERYTHING that had to go the US's way on Sunday did. That is nuts, the numbers broke JUST RIGHT for them to advance. Wow, amazing.

Now, they will probably get throttled by Spain...but wow, it's great to be even talking about that, considering how badly the first 2 games went. 3rd place would definitely be a great achievement for this squad, a Final appearance would be outstanding.

This is true, STL, but it makes it no less amazing. There were a lot of factors in things falling this fantastically perfectly.

JQK's probably right, of course. I'd like to see them at least put in a good effort. Spain is the superior team, obviously, and it'd take incredible luck for the US to get through... much like Sunday.

It's weird to think of getting through to the semis of this tournament as not being very successful, but in the end, only one of the three games went particularly well.

In any case, bring on the Spaniards. Maybe the boys manage to get into penalties; then it's a toss-up.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Mockba, I think you may have misunderstood. I wasn't dismissing the amazingness of yesterday as commonplace.

The point I meant to make was that we should NOT assume Spain is going to kill the US. Amazing things happen in sports, and there's no reason to think the US can't make another amazing thing happen on Wednesday.

Oh, I forgot one thing last night:

SUCK IT, ROSSI.

There, had to get that out of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with the actual tournament, but I just found out Rossi is from the town in New Jersey I grew up in. Danny Szetela is also from there and actually grew up three or four houses away from me. Small world, eh?

yeah, stockholm... call him and tell him to quit being a traitor, and play for the country he WAS BORN IN.

I'd like to see the US show up against Spain and give it a good run. A win would be great, but I'm hoping for a competition. I'd also like to see Bradley get some young guys out there, to get them a taste of world-best competition.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Archived