Gary Sheffield 500th Home Run Commemorative Painting

MADVILLAIN

Hey dudes! I decided to post this piece I recently completed despite the fact that it isn't necessarily a concept. However, I've got close ties in the Detroit Tigers front offices and it is a work that I was commissioned to paint for the player. It includes all the cap logos of the teams Sheffield has played for (Interestingly, he's worn some of the best in my opinion). I don't claim to be the best painter on these here boards, especially since this is my first oil painting. It's already been handed over, just thought I'd show it to you all.

img2041z.jpg

Where's the asterisk?

500* and a really big needle is all that's missing

Well if that isn't just the most original thing I've ever heard...

Seriously though, its going to Gary himself and I tried to present it as honorably as possible. I had a chance to meet him in person and contrary to my preconceptions, he was very friendly and down to earth.

Wouldn't it have made more sense for the largest Shef to be in a Mets uniform, since he hit #500 with the Mets?

I began working on the project while he was a Tiger, hence the large image of him as a Tiger. I had planned on just putting the Mets logo across the white jersey, unfortunately he hit number 500 in a black jersey. However, the painting is going to be a gift from someone in the Tigers organization, so it isn't too out of place. But the scene of him raising his arms is taken from that moment when he reached the milestone.

Thanks for the comments guys!

• 1 month later...

Archived