Why don't all MLB teams have dark alts?

rebelx

'Why don't all MLB teams have dark alts?' you say?

Because this is baseball, and we need teams too look like they belong in the 1900's so we can remember the good old days. its like the case of someone with old underwear. you ask them, why don't they buy a new pair of underwear? they say but its tradition, i don't want a new pair of underwear. i prefer the ones with all the :censored: stains, ejaculate stains and skid marks on them. because its tradition damn it, i need my old crusty underwear.

You mean like this??

cobb1.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

'Why don't all MLB teams have dark alts?' you say?

Because this is baseball, and we need teams too look like they belong in the 1900's so we can remember the good old days. its like the case of someone with old underwear. you ask them, why don't they buy a new pair of underwear? they say but its tradition, i don't want a new pair of underwear. i prefer the ones with all the :censored: stains, ejaculate stains and skid marks on them. because its tradition damn it, i need my old crusty underwear.

You mean like this??

cobb1.jpg

imagine the amount of wankage that would cause. :grin:

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

And the Cards used a red alt for one game.

The alternates that you are referring to were actually just their red batting practice jerseys. They wore them for Jersey Off Their Back day. Fans could purchase tickets for a drawing. The winners won the game used jerseys.

While they did wear their BP jerseys in a few games (not many, I don't think, but a couple), check out tpoh59's photo - that's clearly double-knit for the charity jerseys.

This was the 1999 BP jersey, from a game against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, July 25, 1999.

3972171784_6a9ffa8109_o.jpg

Virtually the same design, but a different material.

DSC02350.jpg

While they did wear their BP jerseys in a few games (not many, I don't think, but a couple), check out tpoh59's photo - that's clearly double-knit for the charity jerseys.

This was the 1999 BP jersey, from a game against the Colorado Rockies at Coors Field, July 25, 1999.

3972171784_6a9ffa8109_o.jpg

Virtually the same design, but a different material.

DSC02350.jpg

Other than Turn Back/Ahead the Clock sets, that single occasion of the red jersey for "Shirt off our back days" are the only time the Cardinals have worn an "alternate" uniform. Only home and roads other than that.

b1ed63885898bb5cd6e1199ec98dff61_custom_665xauto.jpg

I'd prefer this to the way current teams wear a dark jersey. My problem with the alts isn't the color, its that teams will wear them home, road... wherever. We end up with navy jerseys vs black jerseys... and teams that war their "alt" so often it isn't an alt anymore. If it were up to me, all teams would wear white at home, and non-white on the road, which would mean color if they want, but to me, a baseball uniform has pants and jerseys that match.

The Cardinals Labor Day Red Alternate Jersey

DSC02348.jpgDSC02349.jpgDSC02350.jpg

Just a front number shy of perfection.

And yes, they were knit.

I stand corrected. I've never seen a picture of these close up before. I assumed they were just their regular BP jerseys. Also, I think baseball jerseys look much better with no front number.

I think the easiest way to say it is that the Cardinals have worn special game alternates on rare occasion (throwbacks can be included in that), but have never had a permanent alternate.

Hurm. Don't know if I'd go to "never." You'd have to exclude the 1940s night game alts.

I think the easiest way to say it is that the Cardinals have worn special game alternates on rare occasion (throwbacks can be included in that), but have never had a permanent alternate.

Hurm. Don't know if I'd go to "never." You'd have to exclude the 1940s night game alts.

I wish the Cardinals go back to those 1940's uniforms, minus the satin and add the current "birds on the bat" logo. That's the best uniform they've ever worn

Archived