Conquistadors Logo

jaha32

I havent posted on here in awhile. Ive been really busy moving and whatnot. Anyways, I finally had time to work on something and here is a basketball logo I just finished. Basketball logos are my favorite to do. A few months back I posted a logo for a team I called the 'Conquerors' but something about it bothered me and I wanted to redo it all together and even alter the name to Conquistadors. It's a name of an old ABA team and I even used the same weapon as the logo of the ABA team, although I dont even know what it is or called. This ended up looking similar to the Golden State Warriors in arrangement (not style) although it wasn't even my intention. Here it is...

Conquistadors.gif

Two things:

I don't think you need the base of the weapon to interlock with the "C". To me, it looks just tacked on. I don't think you'll lose anything by nixing that little part.

The swooshy stem from for the "Q" is decidedly different than the rest of the lettering. Your font choice is very rigid and angular. I find the flowy stem to be a bit startling.

Overall, a supreme logo.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I love the colors and the general arrangement of the logo. The text is very nice (though you might want to try to integrate the stroke from the Q better; right now it seems a bit detached). I think some of the details on the body need some work. Right now, the helmet looks WAY too big (the head might be a bit large too, but it's hard to tell), while his right arm (especially the forearm) looks TINY by comparison. Also, the forearm seems to be detached from/offset from the hand and wrist.

If you work out some of the kinks on the figure, you'll have a killer logo.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Here are two variations with some changes based mostly on the feedback I received. The only difference in the 2 is the 'Q' which a few people didnt like before as swooshy. I personally like the swooshy Q better and think it spices up the sameness that all the letters have. especially since Conquistadors has 13 letters I think it needs that little flare, or change of pace in at least one spot, but I would like to hear which version you like better. I would start a poll but I dont know how so just let me know which is better to you. Top or Bottom. Thanks.

Conquistadors-1.gif

1. I think the conquistadors typeface needs to be simplified a little bit. Seems like there are also a few inconsistencies that could also be fixed within each letterform. 2. The little shadow on the letters is much too fine. It doesn't play wel with the thick, bold outlines that are present elsewhere. I'd either make it much thicker or drop it altogether. 3. Speaking of line weight, that is the biggest problem with this logo. This is what makes the logo look like a wordmark slapped on top of a guy, slapped on top of a basketball. The line weights are all very different. You're close, but just not quite there. There are some excellent things going on here, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

1. I think the conquistadors typeface needs to be simplified a little bit. Seems like there are also a few inconsistencies that could also be fixed within each letterform. 2. The little shadow on the letters is much too fine. It doesn't play wel with the thick, bold outlines that are present elsewhere. I'd either make it much thicker or drop it altogether. 3. Speaking of line weight, that is the biggest problem with this logo. This is what makes the logo look like a wordmark slapped on top of a guy, slapped on top of a basketball. The line weights are all very different. You're close, but just not quite there. There are some excellent things going on here, though.

The typeface is actually one I made from scratch since I lost all my fonts on my computer when I started this and just decided to make one. I tried to fix some of the inconsistency in line width. Believe it or not that is actually something I always keep in mind is using the same stroke size on lines. Hopefully this is a little better bt I mostly just made the basketbal lines thinner to match that of the word. I dropped the thin blue shadow on the word also. I guess I didnt get to much feedback and I am not sre I saw everything Andrew was talking about but here it is again. Dropped off the bottom portion of the ball thinking that if the man gets cut off so should the ball. althouh I just like circles I guess.

Conquistadors-2.gif

looking at the last update, i really like what you have so far. im in favor of eliminating the "swoosh" in the Q. the helmet still seems too big though. just needs resized a tad. i would like the see the axe/weapon a different color as it seems to blend in too much. that said, im not sure what color woould be best. maybe the red, or maybe throw in some grey?

the "banner" that San Jose sits on is okay but i think you can do better.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

looking at the last update, i really like what you have so far. im in favor of eliminating the "swoosh" in the Q. the helmet still seems too big though. just needs resized a tad. i would like the see the axe/weapon a different color as it seems to blend in too much. that said, im not sure what color woould be best. maybe the red, or maybe throw in some grey?

the "banner" that San Jose sits on is okay but i think you can do better.

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

I would recommend having the gold outline going only around the very outside of the entire logo. Having it around the outside and then inside around the guy and the top part of the 'C' makes it look a little too much. What I would do in this instance is group all of those most outter gold trim and send them to the back. Try that and see how it looks.

It keeps getting better. BrandN and McCall have covered most of my critiques on this, but I think the C and S could use a little curve, so the swoosh (which I like) doesn't seem like an afterthought. The most problematic area to me is the San Jose banner. It could be further away from the Q and the shape around it needs to be tweaked. Keep working at it.

It's definitely improving. I still think the helmet looks a tad too large (especially how far the back appears to extend past the perceived back of the head), but it might just be my eyes playing tricks on me. I also want to second bohob's suggestions about the type.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I made the changes based on what you guys were saying. i got rid of the 'San Jose' banner all together since if its going to take away from the whole logo I'll leave it out. Many NBA logos dont have city names in them anyway and that is kind of what I try to emulate in many ways. the head/helmet is a tad smaller again. I am glad someone mentioned that they liked the Q swoosh and I hope I finally found a way to make the entire wordmark look good. added some curviness to the bottom halves of the C and S. I also added the bottom half of the basketball again in one of the versions here in hopes of balancing out the overall shape of the logo. is it better?

Conquistadors-3.gif

I like the addition of the basketball again, it makes the entire whole look complete, and glad to see you decided to drop the City Name, although the only viable place to place it to keep the clean styling of the logo would probably be following the contour of the basketball on the left side between the name and helmet, Overall, I think it's turned into an awesome logo, and design, and chance on continuing with Secondary and uniforms?

For some reason I cant decide if I like it better with the ball below the wordmark or not. Here I shrunk the ball a little just to see if I like it better only on top. Now I think I like it better only on top just by the way the basketball lines look but I dont know. I think my OCD is kicking in. Oh and heres a partial logo. I may make a secondary with a simple SJ interlocking but I dont have any other ideas. Jerseys I never really do since I dont really consider myself creative when it comes to jerseys. I like old school looking jerseys mostly with basic trim. which version is better as far as the ball goes???? I see CDixon likes it with the ball so maybe it is ok....

Conquistadors-4.gif

Personally, I prefer it without the bottom of the ball. It looks off with the ball on both sides and the Conquistador cut off. In addition, I feel the bottom of the ball makes the other elements appear lees important, when the ball is probably the least important element in the logo. I really, like the updates to the wordmark, though.

Archived