Anyone want a CFL team?

Bleujayone

-I find it interesting that the current owners of the Argos are also part of one of the groups trying to obtain an NHL team (and possibly move to Canada). I would imagine unloading the Argos would bring them some capital needed to obtain such a team.

If the Argos did change hands, would the team still be held to playing at Skydome, or could they be free to move to a smaller venue such as BMO Field? Montreal moved their games to McGill from Olympic Stadium with the exception of playoff games and it's done wonders to sell out a smaller field than to have a half empty larger venue. It's a shame both the University of Toronto and York University vetoed the prospect of building stadiums with acceptable seating capacities.

Would consider buying the team and moving it elsewhere in Canada such as Quebec City or Halifax? Toronto might be Canada's biggest city, but it's been a real struggle to get regular fan support at times. It would be especially interesting in light of talk of relocating the Buffalo Bills up here. The CFL can survive without Toronto, although the prospect has not been all that welcome.

Argo owners mulling a sale?

`We are weighing what is in the best interests of ... the future of the Toronto Argonauts'

The Argonauts owners made it clear Wednesday they are keeping their ownership options open.

On the heels of reports that the CFL club may be up for sale, Argos co-owners David Cynamon and Howard Sokolowski issued a statement that left the door open to the possible sale of the team they bought out of bankruptcy in 2003.

While the two GTA businessmen said they "want to make it clear we remain the dedicated owners" of the team, they added "we continue to explore different opportunities and are weighing what is in the best interests of our businesses, our families and the future of the Toronto Argonauts."

Cynamon and Sokolowski celebrated a Grey Cup championship in 2004, their first full year as owners.

They also brought the Grey Cup game back to Toronto in 2007.

But after four straight East Division final appearances under their ownership, the Argos have fallen on hard times on the field over the past two seasons.

After going 4-14 in 2008, the team is 3-11 so far this season.

Both men have also recently launched new business ventures. They have also been involved with Ice Edge group, which was formed to look at buying the NHL's Phoenix Coyotes.

There's speculation Cynamon and Sokolowski might bring in new investors to join them in the ownership of the Argos.

Cynamon and Sokolowski said they will keep the CFL and Argo fans informed of "any real news.

"In the meantime, we will not indulge in speculation that distracts from what remains our focus: What is best for a game, a team and a league that we truly cherish."

There's also speculation B.C. Lions owner David Braley might be interested in the Argos.

Braley, who paid half the $2 million franchise fee when Cynamon and Sokolowski purchased the Argos, then continued to lend the team money, issued his own statement Wednesday.

Braley stressed the Lions are not up for sale.

"I remain the team's owner, proud of its accomplishments, both on and off the field and in communities across British Columbia, and dedicated to its future success," Braley said. "As an individual, I have always strived to act in the best interests of the Canadian Football League, something that unites this country and that I care deeply about, and I will always do what I can to strengthen our league, and my team."

CFL commissioner Mark Cohon said in a statement he's in "constant communication" with all the league's owners and governors, who keep him informed of "important developments."

"I am absolutely confident that they are committed to the integrity of our game and what is in the best interests of our teams, our fans and the future of our league," Cohon said.

Meanwhile, Argo head coach Bart Andrus insists that will not be a distraction for his football team.

"It doesn't really affect us. That's something that's totally out of our control," Andrus said after the team practised in Mississauga ahead of a home game Friday night against Edmonton. "Our main concern right now is the Edmonton Eskimos coming in to our place.''

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

I heard part of the reason the Argos are up for sale again is because they current ownership couldn't make a deal for a new stadium.

The Rogers dome (as I like to call it) is too big and expensive. York didn't want that big of a stadium, BMO Field is being converted to natural grass and the TFC supporters would go crazy if a football team got in there and, the fact is the Bills coming up here (1 game or otherwise) has made it harder for people to believe the Argos are safe in this city.

I think the Argos would be a success if they had a smaller stadium due to the whole supply/demand thing that worked for the Als. But I guess that doesn't matter at this point.

As for DEAD!'s comment. I heard a rumor floating around that the Ti-cats and Argos have considered threatening the CFL with a merger.

The reason being the 2 Ontario teams are starving for profit sharing and the Western teams are flat-out against it. The funny part about that is without a major market like Toronto the Nissan and Rona league wide sponsorships MIGHT (and i point out I said might) not have even happened.

Wouldn't that be a shocker? The Ontario Argo-cats?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Why not move the Argos to Ottawa? Or Halifax or London or Windsor?? That ought to be something if it ever happened!

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

Archived