rules regarding undershirts

BBTV

The photo of David Garrard in the NFL Uniform Notes topic made me question whether or not the NFL regulates sleeves that are visible under the jerseys. If not, I think they should.

My thought - if the jersey has a colored cuff, then all visible sleeves should be that color. So for example, all Eagles sleeves should be black. If the uniform just has a cuff that's the same color as the jersey, then the sleeves would be that color - so the Cowboys would all wear white sleeves with their white jerseys. Basically, the sleeve is just an extension of the jersey "sleeve", so it should extend whatever color is used to terminate the stock "sleeve".

MLB is tougher to come up with standard rules for, so I guess it's just important that whatever color a team goes with, everyone should wear the same. I can't think of any instances off of the top of my head where this hasn't been the case though.

Discuss.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't think the NFL regulates that. It doesn't bother me if two players are wearing different color undershirts, as long as they are team colors, I don't care. I tend to notice that players wear team colors or white. So it works for me.

I'm all in favor of making teams designate one color/scheme for their undershirts. Which team color it is doesn't really bother me though I'm partial to white.

On a side note, undershirt color is one of the most infuriating things about an NCAA '10 dynasty for me. I don't want my three receivers wearing white, scarlet, and grey sleeves, thankyouverymuch.

When I saw this topic, my mind instantly flashed back to the Buffalo Bills, back when at least 1 player was wearing a ski suit underneath his jersey, with a bonkers red/blue gradient and s spiderweb pattern.

I'm all for standardizing, and mandating, undershirts for players. It's been mentioned before on these boards that football jerseys should just finish their inevitable march up to the shoulders, and that compression shirts with team-specific designs should take the place of sleeves. That's a brilliant idea, and I'd love to see it happen.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can only speak at the high school level, and I know the following.

In volleyball and basketball, undershirts must be the same color as the uniform. In baseball, the pitcher may not wear white or gray. Other than that, most sports require white, gray, black, or the uniform color. (In addition, it is policy that home basketball teams must wear white, and that in a couple years, visiting football teams must wear white.)

LvZYtbZ.png

It has happened in baseball more than you think where players wear different colored undershirts. Adrian Beltre always wears gray, while the rest of the Mariners wear navy. Back in 1993, when they first switched to the current colors, most wore navy, while some wore teal.

The Mets always seem to have a couple players wearing orange (I think David Wright does occasionaly), while the rest wear black or blue, depending on the uniform choice.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

It has happened in baseball more than you think where players wear different colored undershirts. Adrian Beltre always wears gray, while the rest of the Mariners wear navy. Back in 1993, when they first switched to the current colors, most wore navy, while some wore teal.

The Mets always seem to have a couple players wearing orange (I think David Wright does occasionaly), while the rest wear black or blue, depending on the uniform choice.

Wright usually wears orange.

However those are short sleeves under the jersey. When they wear long sleeves it's usually black for everyone. They'll change to blue for the pinstripes or when they wear the all-blue hats w/ the snow-whites.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived