New Second Division Soccer League

STL FANATIC

My understanding is that FIFA will only allow one "top-level" league in each country, but the USSF is allowed to have up to four second-level leagues, so the NASL can sit right alongside USL-1 in the structure. No matter what their ambitions they'd never be allowed to qualify teams into CONCACAF tournaments etc, and would always be technically below the MLS.

liverpool-1.png

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From searching the USPTO's database:

The NASL has acquired the rights to the Atlanta Chiefs, Baltimore Bays, and Detroit Express nicknames, as well as the Minutemen (Boston), Atoms (Philadelphia), Strikers (Miami/Fort Lauderdale), and Roughnecks (Tulsa) nicknames.

Found this on http://www.mls-rumors.net/4828/2009/11/report-old-nasl-names-revived-minutemen-atoms-strikers-roughnecks-atlanta-chiefs-baltimore-bays-detroit-express-all-trademarked-on-nov-19/.

So could changes be in store for the Silverbacks, Crystal Palace, and Blues?

v40P3lq.png

From searching the USPTO's database:

The NASL has acquired the rights to the Atlanta Chiefs, Baltimore Bays, and Detroit Express nicknames, as well as the Minutemen (Boston), Atoms (Philadelphia), Strikers (Miami/Fort Lauderdale), and Roughnecks (Tulsa) nicknames.

Found this on http://www.mls-rumors.net/4828/2009/11/report-old-nasl-names-revived-minutemen-atoms-strikers-roughnecks-atlanta-chiefs-baltimore-bays-detroit-express-all-trademarked-on-nov-19/.

So could changes be in store for the Silverbacks, Crystal Palace, and Blues?

For most of the names it's probably only for selling classic NASL merchandise. However, in Miami's case I'm praying they adopt the Strikers name. The return of the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers is the only thing short of a $200 mil stadium and MLS return that will get people supporting pro soccer in South Florida again. The Strikers drew well in the original NASL, and later in the minor league APSL and USISL in the post-NASL and pre-MLS days.

The Fusion and Mutiny screwed up royally when they chose to move away from the hugely popular NASL nicknames. San Jose did too, only unlike them, Miami and Tampa never got the chance to correct their mistake...

Well, well, well. Having previously bashed the TOA group and declaring allegiance to USL, Rochester's now decided to join the new NASL.

The plot gets any thicker and we're going to have to slice it and put it on crackers.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ Branded | Behance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

This is fascinating. I wonder what this does, if anything, for the Portland Timbers. The team is locked into a USL contract for next, it's final season before making the leap into MLS. It's got to be a challenge, even a small one, to build up fan support for soccer while spending a season in a four-team league that's falling apart by the minute. At this rate, they could win the league by default any day now if more teams drop out.

This is fascinating. I wonder what this does, if anything, for the Portland Timbers. The team is locked into a USL contract for next, it's final season before making the leap into MLS. It's got to be a challenge, even a small one, to build up fan support for soccer while spending a season in a four-team league that's falling apart by the minute. At this rate, they could win the league by default any day now if more teams drop out.

I've read somewhere that USL would merge whatever (if any) clubs are remaining in USL-1 with USL-2 for the new USL-1.

Portland, and probably Puerto Rico, will likely move to NASL eventually. I don't see Portland or USL wanting them as the lone team way out there. Puerto Rico has a similar situation. USL-2 sees teams fold all the time thanks to travel expenses, and once the inevitable mash-up of USL-1/2 happens, they'll be distant outposts for the league. Unlike Vancouver on Montréal they have no intentions of keeping a D2 team in NASL once they move to MLS but if they want decent competition they'll probably jump from to the new league.

Rochester finally cracked and I think those two teams will too. I think Portland has the fan base to withstand a year off if they have to, but it's a great opportunity to make money and build excitement towards MLS in 2011 if they play in NASL as opposed to a year away or playing a bare bones USL.

Dear Coach,

Hello, this is Tony Hubert, Director of Public Relations for Saint Louis Athletica. On behalf of our parent company, St. Louis Soccer United, I would like to personally invite you to a press conference we will be conducting on Tuesday, December 8, here at The Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park. At that time we will unveil the new name and logo for the St. Louis entry into the newly formed North American Soccer League, plus we will be making another major announcement on that day.

Please let me know if you will be able to attend by replying to this e-mail. I hope you will be able to come, and all of us here at St. Louis Soccer United thank you for your contribution to the sport of soccer here in St. Louis. This will be a special day for us and we would like you to be a part of it. All the event details are below.

What: Name and logo unveiling of St. Louis' new men's professional soccer franchise

When: Tuesday, December 8, 11:00 a.m. (please arrive between 10:30 and 10:45)

Where: The Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park

Sincerely,

Tony Hubert

Director of Public Relations

Saint Louis Athletica

Source.

Cleveland had the plug pulled for them. The owners were in the process of trying to sell(to save the team) and before they could, USL terminated their franchise and released all their players. And this is after USL more or less forced them up a division to help fill the void left by the Silverbacks and Sounders. They also made them move to a bigger stadium which none of the fans liked, their travel expenses soared and it's why the owners were trying to sell. USL killed the Cleveland City Stars. That's the kind of stuff that made the TOA form, and later rebel, in the first place. Classless on the part of USL.

Word is that no compromise was reached at the meeting with the USSF, NASL and USL today. If the USSF brass has half a brain they'll sanction NASL as D2 and sanction USL as D3.

What: Name and logo unveiling of St. Louis' new men's professional soccer franchise

When: Tuesday, December 8, 11:00 a.m. (please arrive between 10:30 and 10:45)

Where: The Anheuser-Busch Soccer Park

They're streaming the conference. In the buildup, I'm pretty sure I saw someone carrying a green scarf, which isn't too surprising.

POTD 2013-08-22

Name: Athletic Club of St. Louis, AC St. Louis, ACSTL

Colors: Green, white, yellow

Name's lame. Logo's a bit too plain for my tastes, but it's not bad. I like the "flame-de-lis" object, but the plain green shield background could use a border to emphasize the arch shape.

POTD 2013-08-22

Shouldn't it be "ACStL"?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Either way, I suppose. The badge has "ACSTL" in all caps.

Addition: Finally found the team's website with the logo introduction they had at the conference. Haven't found any flat images as of yet.

...and now I have:

droppedImage.png

POTD 2013-08-22

The logo is nice, even if a little boring. But the subtle arch shape and the fleur-de-lis are nice hints to St. Louis. The flame is pretty nice--but I don't know what it represents. And I'm cool with the colors.

I can't say much for the name, though. Unoriginal cop out. It better be accompanied by an "unofficial" nickname at some point.

Archived