WNBA's Monarchs to move to bay area

hettinger_rl

Here's a statement that IS the Monarchs' website right now,

Sacramento Monarchs

Not that surprising (all jokes aside), but they still do not have a venue, and I think there are only two options:

HP Pavilion: Has a history with the ABL, but there are other options in the summer (MLS)

Oracle Arena: No summer tenant and more accessible from The City

Neither Hass Pavilion (Cal) or Maples sell alcohol (Stanford) and the Cow Palace may be sold by the state.

This could also be a move to let the city of Sacramento seriously know that they will move the Kings.

I would like to see them end up in San Jose but I think it's too late to find a owner that fast with the schedule being released in December for the 2010 season. In the end I think the Monarchs will just fold. The Bay Area might get an expansion team in 2011 if the league hasn't gone into oblivion by then.

• 4 weeks later...

With the Sacramento Monarchs of the WNBA most likely moving to San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, they could be bought by the owners of the NBA's Golden State Warriors.

Just a thought.

The Monarchs are not relocating to the Bay Area. They are officially folded and the players are subject to a dispersal draft.

So basically, the Monarchs are folding and the WNBA is planning to place an expansion team in the San Fran/Oakland/San Jose Bay Area by around 2011. If that happens, maybe they could be the sister team to the NBA's Golden State Warriors?

YOZXkBG.png?1

Archived